New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Man, I really hate Oculus Home and stuff now

inceptionalinceptional Posts: 201
Nexus 6
edited February 14 in Oculus Rift + Touch
Another update and it's getting even more messy and bloated.

Seriously, I just hate how clunky and convoluted everything about the interface is now. Moving around is clunky (can't even speed up free moving, and no smooth turning, etc), selecting objects is clunky (menu is always at a slightly awkward distance, windows get hidden behind other windows, etc), getting into a decent position in the rooms is clunky (because of the limited movement stuff), even the visuals looks worse because they're not at an optimal distance that plays to the strengths and limitations of the current Rift (so what I see is usually just kinda blurry now) . . .

I long for an option to go back to single simple room with the menu at a set distance where everything looks about as clear as it can on the current Rift, and where it's just as simple matter of pointing and selecting what you want. And what makes things worse is that I just know it's going to get even more convoluted and clunky and bloated over time. :-(

Give me a simple Home area and menu again (like we originally had), with a selection of rooms to choose from as backgrounds (because that's one thing I wouldn't mind as an option), and I'd be sooo happy.

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,347
    3Jane
    Mine is smooth moving but seriously retarded it beggars belief! I feel like I'm 120yrs old trying to turn around!
    Using 2 sticks is almost normal but crap! I won't repeat all the crap about it as that is Spam. So it's just shit!
  • Talon1Talon1 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    This is NOT a retarded point of view!  The new home is terribly slow and clunky.  When you put the headset on it takes somewhere around 10 to 30 seconds to even generate the initial room and my PC is a freaking rocket ship.  So you're sitting in a white lined (ugly) room while you wait for a useless room to render.  It's slow, clunky, and stupid.  The main menu is not the place to have this sort of program.  It's like launching fortnight so you can run Word.

Cue the useless comment to "LAUNCH THE GAME FROM THE DESKTOP!".  Well, I used that initial Oculus home to fiddle with the headset, make sure I can see ok, and get situated.  Every damn game has a different splash screen, sometimes all black.  So I'm sitting there waiting to get the headset adjusted with an inconsistent view for every different game.  I want to get all squared away with something that loads easily and quickly (like the original home) and then launch the game.  Sometimes there's neat stuff I want to see in the startup of a game that I totally miss by futzing around with the headset.  It's not ok.

Also, the performance and jitteryness of my VR experiences has dropped significantly since launch.  RoboRecall plays like crap now, for instance.  I don't even want to play it anymore, and I don't, which sucks because it was one of my favorite things to do in VR.

This is all caused directly by whatever Oculus Home did.  I don't care what anyone else's opinion is.  The experience is marred by this new interface and all we want is a way to go back to something more streamlined.  I am sorry if this offends you but you are wrong.  Simple as that.
    3Jane
    edited February 15
    OCULUS: Best current affordable VR hardware but the Software is junk ;)
    Remember to keep this thread relative to the topic "Man, I really hate Oculus Home and stuff now" so should only post what is NOT liked by the recent updates forced on us. Sucking up? Mind your own business to complaints then!

Tired of whinges? Then OCULUS must listen and add a simple switch!
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    I love Oculus home. It's the best thing about the Rift, pretty much the only reason i haven't switch to the vive. Maybe the issue some of you guys are having is down to a limited understanding of the software? Just a suggestion. 
    3Jane
    edited February 15
    Besides it being shit as a concept doll house and shit slow movement, even though it is supposedly frozen for the Tech spec from the start until always, some systems (not mine) are apparently "clunky". So what is wrong with this being acknowledged and therefore addressed by OCULUS?!
    Now they make the rooms bigger but what is the Master Plan in all this?
    It grows but gets more crap as it does so!

Do we have full-sized characters to see other people? NO!
    Is walking around the rooms good enough? NO!
    Is 2 Joysticks made good use of? NO!
    Can we even play our own song playlists? NO!

Without a Grand Design it gets crap stuck onto it like some obsessed DEV not knowing what they want. Never mind listening to what users want which do not want any of it! I'm settling for a BLACK Homeless. Why is that not an option is just pathetic.
    Neo
    Why not just create your own little box room? You can do this now with the latest update. 
    3Jane
    I will look at it also. It's very disturbing to see our Developers not do a particularly good job of Home is the concern.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,963 Valuable Player
    Oculus home is fantastic and the dev's have done a great job. I hope they continue to innovate forward and not backward.

As I have said before when the same complaints were made by the same people, if you dont like Oculus Home then launch your apps from the Desktop Client or make a desktop shortcut. I lost count of how many times I have informed the OP of this simple solution. Yet he continues making new threads on the same issue. Devs wont respond to spam, especially when the spam comes from the same select few who struggle with self-reliance.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 311
    Trinity
    OP has a point IMHO.

Oculus home just takes far too long to load. In the old days you were in your home the moment you put on your Rift. 
    Now you're just seeing a white infiite space and maybe your home if you care to wait for about half a minute.

It's nice to have a configurable home but it's rather pointless if you never see it. I usually put on my Rift and start a game right away. I haven't seen my "home" for months despite using my Rift about every second day.
    The delay when switching to the store is nothing but annoying, so I usually just access it on the flat screen.

Whatever Oculus are trying to achieve with Home, it doesn't seem to work for me. There's just no incentive to go there.
    Desktop. Shortcuts.

Alive and well since Windows 3.1
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 700
    3Jane
    edited February 15
    I think it’s about time the mods changed mac’s username to ‘Spamalot’, lol!

i actually find most of his posts pretty amusing.  I don’t know but maybe he has some emotional issues.  Probably better he vents on forums than taking it out on his family.

Edit; sorry to go off topic.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,358 Valuable Player
    edited February 16
    I like the new Oculus Home even if it does take a little while to load. I think it's more in line with VR then the first Oculus Home was, where all you did was just sit looking at a screen and wasn't unable to move around. I believe lots of people voiced their option about Oculus Home and told Oculus they would like to be able to move around Oculus Home and build their own rooms with things in it.

3Jane
    I think engaging into discussions about the actual title is what this forum is all for. If in one way you are unhappy with something e.g. slow movement in Home, or another being Home is "clunky", or another that actually after seeing so much updates on this yet still it gets worse then I rather think it needs a new thread based on that. This one just so happens to span the whole what we hate umbrella. 

So why is the same people like to get all smart and shoot us down for voicing our most concerned opinions as progress goes on? I don't see this as simply a cry for a No Home but pointing out the fact we are deeply concerned that for some it is getting to be a worse experience. What is the point to try and mute these concerns other than to look smart, authorative to try and enforce Rules and label the good people here to provide feedback, concerns and wishes?

GIVE PEOPLE A BREAK - THANKS ;)
    edited February 16
    It could be that this thread sounds very much like this thread. I think it's to do with the amount of threads the OP has made about same thing. I think that's what some people are complaining about. I don't think Oculus will ever revert back to the old Oculus Home though, so it's just a case of trying to get used to it.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70355/so-is-the-original-home-now-gone-totally-then/p1
    3Jane
    edited February 15
    Oddly that was a question in his thread title but he did use all the same topic of this in his opening statement. It must have been on his mind back then but seems that the updates have not got better from back then. I think knowing Oculus's Master Plan on what it is planned to become is a good heads up but just as much to have a Disable Switch for such systems/preferences that do not want this addition. That's about all. Then perhaps we hear discussions on what people expect Home to become e.g. with personal music player and Doom-Style movement with complete characters plus 2 Joysticks doing 2 jobs.
    edited February 16
    I don't think Oculus will see the OP's concerns regarding the current Oculus Home. I think this forum is mainly just for users of Oculus VR. I don't recall anyone from Oculus disguising such things in this forum. In fact, since Cybereality left, I don't think I've seen anyone from Oculus on here full stop :p
    3Jane
    Well here's my insight on this, everything I happen to raise I do notify Oculus Feedback as we all know this is our community forum and nicely maintained by the kind Oculus Staff who do talk often to techs.
    edited February 16
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Well here's my insight on this, everything I happen to raise I do notify Oculus Feedback as we all know this is our community forum and nicely maintained by the kind Oculus Staff who do talk often to techs.

So post it in the feedback section where it might get looked at then. Maybe if the OP is lucky the techs might look at it and decide to give use both options. 
    I do agree that feedback should be heard. My absurdly high post count is a testament to that! fml

But we have to avoid monotonous spam. In the case of the OP,  he keeps restarting the same topic with new threads... and they all end the same: less than a dozen supporters and a bunch of noise.

Maybe start a Poll and bump it on occassion. But stop creating repeat threads hoping to feign popularity, na mean? 
    3Jane
    edited February 15
    Nice. It's good to let the community know what we feel. I actually wonder if my own Home needs REPAIRED (due to the very slow movement. I have no way of knowing how it should be except the 2 Joysticks are the exact same but when I turn same way then both turn at almost normal time. Not to create a new thread for that but it could well be a problem for OP too. @XxcementxX just fixed Stutter his from Oculus's Support so perhaps it may fix OP's "clunky" and my slow movement so I will try. I am aware older Repairs caused other issues with Games being lost. Maybe the installer should close all open tasks first as it can be too easy just to click download and it installs straight after.

Is there any announcement of how far they want to take HOME? Sure it's getting all sociable and includes imported 3D Objects and user room sizes, but are we looking at getting full characters and potentially make it closer to reality for a meeting place to share our work e.g. surely Dash's Pull Out Windows should also allow to be pinned within Home itself, so we can share music and video from all things we can?
    No doubt it will get more complex but then the coding can be optimized but just as we get a Button to enter Dash we need that option to enter or not by default into Home.

Neo
    By far the best solution to this is to post a suggestion https://rift.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift this exactly what its for & the devs will implement things if they gte enough votes as they have for one of my own suggestions. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,515 Valuable Player
    edited February 16
    To me the great advantages of Home 2.0 and Dash are that you can access the Win10 desktop without having to take off the HMD - or trying to peek out while keeping on the HMD. Now I can easily change settings in Oculus Tray Tool, and I can close Steam completely (often Steam needs to be completely shut down before it'll load using the app icon in Dash library on my rig) - these things were more cumbersome when using classic Home.

Home 2.0 is taking up more resources than classic Home, and the same goes for the Oculus Store - but what I miss most about classic Home is the simple design. Like someone wrote:

"I find the new home just unnecessary complicated. I share my Rift with less technically adept people and it just made it harder for them to start a game and navigate the whole thing." 

There's a recent discussion on Reddit about bringing back classic Home inside Home 2.0 - could be awesome if possible - maybe it could be a 5th theme for Home 2.0 ;)

More here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/anynhp/with_custom_home_imports_could_it_be_possible_to/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • wonderingswonderings Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I have recently starting using my Rift again after 8 months or more of not using it. I like the home setup and the little things you can do, though it is limited at the moment. I wish they allowed more customization and wish I could somehow change the default room. There is one with the Sun floating just outside that I really like but it seems like it is just a demo to look at and not customize. 

I really like being able to see my desktop as well in a small window. I have a "tv" setup that displays what is going on outside the Rift. I have no issue with the load times, seems normal to me and boots up pretty quick. 
    3Jane
    edited February 16
    Is turning slow? Do you turn twice as fast with 2 Joysticks which is almost as fast as normal life?
    Please tell me how many seconds it takes for 1 Joystick to turn 90degrees. Thanks.