cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium 2.2!!

naycorn
Heroic Explorer
qhpbm2vs5b9i.png

We’re celebrating the end of the year with our 2.2 Release! We’ve listened to your feedback and worked to improve Medium as a powerful object editor.

Accidently moved the mirror tool? We’ve added Node Lock! Scene Graph confusing you? Check out the new Node Settings menu! Unintentionally changed your stamp orientation? We’ve swapped the tool size shortcut and applicator transform! Find yourself constantly revising your settings? Most tool settings now save across sessions. To top it off, we’ve added 10 new languages.

Medium Ver. 2.2 Release Notes

New Features:

• Node lock is in! Lock scene objects to prevent accidental moves, or lock your layers to freeze clay editing.

• Tool settings - except for constraints, color, stamp, and the size slider - now save across sessions. Scene settings still save across sculpts.

• The scene graph is now organized in a much less cluttered format, making hierarchy editing faster and more understandable with the new Node Settings menu.

• We’ve added a toggle to turn custom stamp color on or off in the stamps menu. It defaults to “Off.”

• Move tool: Double clicking in Move Tool now toggles between default and elastic move, and strength in both modes has been tuned to incorporate more stiffness parameters.

• You can now change the tool applicator transform of all tools, including raycast tools.

• New languages available! Change your language in Skyline to access Medium in Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, or Japanese.

• As part of the localization push, we now allow the import and reading of assets named with special characters.

• We also fixed the long standing bug where users with special characters in their Windows username were unable to start.

• We’ve swapped the tool size shortcut and applicator transform to minimize the amount of mistaken applicator changes.

• Push the tool hand thumbstick to the left or right for the shortcut to change your tool size, which is now also more accurate.

• Depress the tool hand thumbstick to change the applicator transform.

• We’ve updated our Manual to reflect some of the current changes. Visit our manual by navigating to the top black bar at www.oculus.com/medium, or going straight to www.oculus.com/medium/manual.

Bug Fixes:

• The move tool respects grid snap constraints.

• Required confirmation when deleting assets in the asset browser.

• When you select a scene object, its node in the Scene Graph will scroll into view.

• Clay surface artifacts fix. This was showing up mostly when using the move tool repeatedly.

• Default file names when saving or exporting are back, and dictating a library is not required before saving.

• Steady stroke with raycast tools have been re-tuned.

• Stamps no longer rearrange order within their collection every time the app restart - they will stay alphabetical.

• Bloom is no longer enabled at launch if option is set to off.

• Improved video capture quality using the in-Medium capture on NVIDIA machines.

• Export folders now reliably and automatically generate.

• The export transform is now the scene origin.

• Move tool preview now consistently updates when pressing the alt tool or around the scene graph.

• Repeatedly looking at tooltip videos over time doesn’t cause graphical corruption.

• Fixed existing ASW implementation ahead of ASW 2.0 release. 

Known Problems:

• Video quality using the in-Medium capture on AMD machines is still fairly low quality.

CL 134541584

31 REPLIES 31

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Medium 2.2.3 Release Notes

Bug Fixes:

• Scene origin transforms now persist through export and Share to Home

• Fixed artifacting when symmetric move tool spheres with strength 100 overlapped in mirror mode

• Lighting Model Changes

• We fixed a calculation error in our lighting model and lights have a more realistic falloff now.  This fixes an issue where the lighting would dim on a sculpt when zoomed in too much, and light intensity on a sculpt surface is also a more noticeable function of local distance.  New lights added will use this new lighting model--old lights in previous saves will retain their old properties.

• Bloom has been tuned to better fit the new lighting model intensity range

• Removed radius from point light UI in favor of point light scale

Known Problems:

• Sharing to Facebook as a 3D Post sometimes fails.

• Studio Share disconnects immediately after connecting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I reported an issue previously on the 12 Jan, where Medium/Dash is crashing at regular intervals.

The problem seems worse since updating to 2.2.3 (its happened 5 times in the last hour unfortunately). Identical error as previously reported:

02/13/19 18:52:33 : starting thresholding pass using 1.000000 (edges = 164733)
02/13/19 18:52:33 : independent edges = 158602, edges that failed lock = 6109, total edges = 164733, vertexlocktime = 31.867321
02/13/19 18:52:34 : Optimized mesh: [loadFromMeshMunger] (1 subsets, 47556 vert, 285456 idx), ACMR 1.598064 -> 0.830692
02/13/19 18:52:35 : Saved 19 layers to save-C3D17AA4
02/13/19 18:52:37 : AssetSystem: failed to parse json with error: '* Line 1, Column 2 Syntax error: Malformed token'
02/13/19 18:53:03 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 503 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp
02/13/19 18:53:03 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 503 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp

I've tried updating to the latest Nvidia drivers, no difference unfortunately.

*** Additional points ***

- I was pretty sure this is a graphics memory leak, but if it is it does not appear to be cumulative (monitored on Task Manager and GPU or Sys mem its not increasing) . Noticed that when loading a sculpt graphics card fans are spinning at an average level, within 10 minutes spinning at a very high rate crash then occurs (this is without adding any additional layers since loading sculpt or increasing res).
- GPU utilization however does grow on an upwards curve (see below), till crash occurs (still smells like a memory problem):a5g64nifh04x.jpg
- If I take my headset off or keep it on and stop doing anything (just sit there, looking around, not actively sculpting), then GPU usage returns returns to normal levels and I can avoid a crash.
- Interestingly, after a crash I have to restart Oculus otherwise Dash does not work.

Regards,

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @wahwah1975 , we appreciate all the information! It is so so helpful. 

After looking at your comments about Dash and the last log info, it looks like you're having a Vulkan error that is a result of bad drivers. Sometimes, a normal driver upgrade doesn't always repair your Vulkan drivers, so I recommend a manual upgrade following the instructions below:

Let me know how this works. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've tried both repairing and manually uninstalling/reinstalling Nvidia drivers (418.92) and downgrading to older drivers (4.16.34), the same issue is occurring, no change in behavior.

I also tried a clean re-install of Oculus, to be on the safe side, again no difference.

The frequency of the Vulcan API crash has increased greatly since I updated to 2.2.3 (every 5-10 minutes when sculpting). I've went back to some older sculpts in case the issue was specific to the geometry of my current and the crash is just as frequent.  

One thing I have found that decreases the frequency of the issue is to turn off a number of visible layers (e.g. turn off 14/19). When I do this the issue does still occur, but seemingly not as frequently.

I've also spent an hour playing Rise of the Tomb Raider which also used Vulkan API and it remained stable (as do other games and Graphics apps).

*** Update ***

I think I have narrowed down the trigger of this issue in my case. I had the majority of layers set as follows:
-Diffuse Light: 1.00
-Diffuse Color: 1.00
-Spectacular 0.30
-Roughness 0.60
-Occlusion 0.60

This is a different combination from what I typically used. I happened to change Spectacular to 0.15 (on all layers that were set to 0.30).........and I haven't had a crash in 1 hour. Sorry, not a nice issue for you Dev's to fix if this is the root cause 😞 .

Thanks again for your help,

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Wow... possible you work in software development? The detail here is amazing and we appreciate your help tracking this down! 

Anyways, this is very strange. Are you just randomly crashing all over the place? Are you messing with the color picker and losing grip trigger functionality? What does the error messages say when you crash? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Ha....Yeah I work in R&D (QA Test Engineer/Manager for an embedded systems company), 3D artist as a hobby.

If your Dev's set up a sculpt with about 20 layers (detail level 5-6) and set each layer to the above shader settings, then they should be able to replicate reliably within 5 minutes of constant tool use (at least I can reliably on my rig).

I've tested for 2 hours more with Spectacular set to 0.15 and in total only 1 Vulkan crash in all that time, switched back to 0.30 and it occurs frequently. 

Same error each time;

Can be using any tool when it happens, the trigger defo relates to the shader settings in my previous post. Never occurred with color picker and no problem with grip.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Amazing detail. Handing this off to my QA team. Thank you so much! 

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Medium 2.2.4 Release Notes

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed grip trigger losing global manipulation after swiping out of the light settings and color picker! This phenomenon was also causing consequent crashes when interacting with windows.

• Fixed custom stamps of the same layer name being moved into the wrong collection.

• Fixed color picker persisting after swiping out of menus.

• Fixed grid snap increments.

Known Problems:

• Recording a 2D video within Medium and livestreaming to Facebook will crash.

• Recording a 2D video within Medium and using Shadowplay will crash.

• Studio Share disconnects immediately after connecting. Because we have not yet found a fix, we are disabling the feature for now. We will re-enable it when it works once more.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Any luck with tracking down the following error (I'm still seeing it pretty frequently)?:

Thanks,

Mark

kimeleon
Honored Guest

Medium 2.2.4 Release Notes

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed grip trigger losing global manipulation after swiping out of the light settings and color picker! This phenomenon was also causing consequent crashes when interacting with windows.

• Fixed custom stamps of the same layer name being moved into the wrong collection.

• Fixed color picker persisting after swiping out of menus.

• Fixed grid snap increments.

Known Problems:

• Recording a 2D video within Medium and livestreaming to Facebook will crash.

• Recording a 2D video within Medium and using Shadowplay will crash.

• Studio Share disconnects immediately after connecting. Because we have not yet found a fix, we are disabling the feature for now. We will re-enable it when it works once more.

Hi naomi.cornman -- loving Medium at the moment, thanks to the team for all the hard work that has gone into this. Do you have any idea when Studio Share might be back? Thanks!