cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your Favourite Arcade Game?

Anonymous
Not applicable
And you can only choose ONE!

For me it would have to be the Star Wars game with wireframe graphics where you had to fight Tie Fighters and blow up the Death Star. The sound and music were amazing at the time and the gameplay was great.

I ALMOST opted for Track & Field, Double Dragon, Defender and Scramble but Star Wars JUST edged it! B)

The BEST thing I've ever enjoyed in an arcade wasn't a game but a Dalek you could sit in where you could move the gun and plunger and get it to scream EXTERMINATE!!! That was so awesome to play with when I was a kid. They had one at the Broadstairs arcade in the 70s.
57 REPLIES 57

Discs of Tron, I put a lot of coins into an environmental version of that machine during my lunch breaks back in the 80s, in an arcade in Leicester Square when I worked near by.
Spent a lot of time trying to write a version for the Atari ST using STOS, but that thing was hopeless, STOS I mean, not the Atari.
I bought an original Gorf machine off a friend too, wish I still had it but the screen faded too much and I sold it.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Asteroids......still love playing it to this day !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Galaga baby!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
1943 - I think... 🙂

https://youtu.be/C7fZp14wyLY

Image result for 1943 battle of midway

1943 The Battle of Midway Euro flyer

1943 The Battle of Midway Euro Cabinet

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bizjer
Expert Protege
Gunsmoke 

ohgrant
Superstar
I'm with you on this one Snowdog. Atari Star Wars Arcade with the vector graphics. We had the sit down version in our arcade.  I'd love to play it again. vzhcyfa30fws.png 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOTExRQJSE
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Digikid1
Consultant
1943. Love those types of games. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, we had the sit down version too but you had to hop on a bus or train from Broadstairs to get to one of the many arcades in Margate to play it. Only a couple of miles away though.

In one of the Ramsgate arcades (again, two miles away from Broadstairs) they also had this great thing that was a shooting gallery that had moving parts that sprayed water at your mates. It was a hillbilly themed thing with hillbilly mannequins and props, a great laugh.

The Broadstairs arcade was always my favourite just because of the Dalek they used to have though, even after they got rid of it.

And an honourable mention should also go to CarnEvil, an awesome on-rails shooter that they had at Broadstairs too.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Digikid1 said:

1943. Love those types of games. 

The two player co-op made 1943 special. If not for the co-op, then I might vote for R-Type. But I can't mention R-Type because Snowdog was very firm when stating that we may only choose one game. So of course I'd never - ever - mention R-Type in this thread  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"