cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your Favourite Arcade Game?

Anonymous
Not applicable
And you can only choose ONE!

For me it would have to be the Star Wars game with wireframe graphics where you had to fight Tie Fighters and blow up the Death Star. The sound and music were amazing at the time and the gameplay was great.

I ALMOST opted for Track & Field, Double Dragon, Defender and Scramble but Star Wars JUST edged it! B)

The BEST thing I've ever enjoyed in an arcade wasn't a game but a Dalek you could sit in where you could move the gun and plunger and get it to scream EXTERMINATE!!! That was so awesome to play with when I was a kid. They had one at the Broadstairs arcade in the 70s.
57 REPLIES 57

kojack
MVP
MVP
Gunblade.
It had two large mounted machine guns (limited 2dof) on the cabinet with great haptics. My arms would ache after playing for a while.

Followed by Elevator Action

Spent a lot of time trying to write a version for the Atari ST using STOS, but that thing was hopeless, STOS I mean, not the Atari.

AMOS on the Amiga was awesome. It came out a couple of years after STOS, so they'd improved it a lot.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant

kojack said:

AMOS on the Amiga was awesome.

NO

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

kojack
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

kojack said:

NO

I think your keyboard has a problem.
m6eed2fuzjcx.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Wildt said:

kojack said:

NO

out of curiosity what was wrong with it?  It was a bit beyond me, the furthest i ever got into games making was SEUCK

but that had little to no coding in it

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Wildt
Consultant

Wildt said:

kojack said:

NO

out of curiosity what was wrong with it?  It was a bit beyond me, the furthest i ever got into games making was SEUCK

but that had little to no coding in it

I never saw anything but poorly performing crap coming out of it.

Some people even attempted to compete in demo compos with stuff they made using it, and unless it was some glorified slideshow which relied on humor, it was garbage. Slow garbage.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5gnOMTaGU
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I absolutely LOVED the House Of The Dead games, any lightgun game is awesome in my book. CarnEvil is the best of all time though imo. A shame that the game died when Midway did 😞

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I absolutely LOVED the House Of The Dead games, any lightgun game is awesome in my book. CarnEvil is the best of all time though imo. A shame that the game died when Midway did 😞

Sorry @snowdog - but gun games doing okay in the amusement scene long after Midway went??
We have the great HoTD with the new launch last year, we have the Big Buck series doing storming across the market (both amusement and barcades), and we have the new school of mounted blasters like Jurassic World and Walking Dead. Sounds like you need to get out more  B)

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

falken76
Expert Consultant
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting edition.  I loved all the Street Fighter 2 games, but this was my favorite, it might have even been a mod that was at the local Golf n Stuff.  It might have been called Rainbow edition, I can't recall since there were so many of them made.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Sorry @snowdog - but gun games doing okay in the amusement scene long after Midway went??
We have the great HoTD with the new launch last year, we have the Big Buck series doing storming across the market (both amusement and barcades), and we have the new school of mounted blasters like Jurassic World and Walking Dead. Sounds like you need to get out more  B)

I was specifically talking about CarnEvil, not lightgun games in general. CarnEvil died with Midway. It was an amazing game.