When is Half life 2 VR coming out ??? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

When is Half life 2 VR coming out ???

ky4jwky4jw Posts: 108
Hiro Protagonist
They have been talking about it for years. Stop the talk.... Where is it at  ?

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,754 Volunteer Moderator
    It's up to Valve .. Valve have their own SteamVR to take care of, if it ever comes out I am betting it would be a SteamVR exclusive and might be aligned with their own HMD release 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Actually, they're still working on it, it's on Reddit.
    I'd recommend not acting so entitled to a project being worked on for free, mate.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 158
    Art3mis
     When it's done I'm sure.  It will certainly be grand. It is the best and most compatible with old school 3D and VR gear. 
    If you're too anxious to wait it out until they are happy with it, it's one of the few games that support direct VR with full geometric 3D with the Vorpx driver.  https://www.vorpx.com/
     I'm going to wait it out for the official mod before I play it again. I played it first on my Z800, then played it again a few years back with my DK2 and Vorpx.  I

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,089 Valuable Player
    I take it you talking about the Half Life 2 mod? Well they are doing it for free so they can talk as long as they want and give it to us when it's ready. It's not costing us anything and they are not getting paid for their time. They are doing this for us nothing else and I'm happy about that. I don't read about it anymore, I'll just wait until it lands and be happy when it does. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,611 Valuable Player
    Hopefully this year some time I reckon...but then again I said that last year too :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,188
    Wintermute
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus would be cool too ;)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,811 Valuable Player
    It's up to Valve .. Valve have their own SteamVR to take care of, if it ever comes out I am betting it would be a SteamVR exclusive and might be aligned with their own HMD release 
    actually it isnt valve working on it, it is the same guy who made "mother" mod for alien isolation (nibre) and some others.

i dunno when it is coming but he posts now and then on twitter to say it is not dead.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    ky4jw said:
    They have been talking about it for years. Stop the talk.... Where is it at  ?

If it has a cost what is it?  If the game or mod is going to be free it's priority last and will probably never see the light of day.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    actually it isnt valve working on it, it is the same guy who made "mother" mod for alien isolation (nibre) and some others.

i dunno when it is coming but he posts now and then on twitter to say it is not dead.
    Oh wow, it'll take even longer then.  I thought this was a studio endeavor, but it's a one man show with no pay?  This will never come out.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,242 Volunteer Moderator
    Valve put more effort into supporting the Oculus DK1 and DK2 in HL2 (both officially supported back in 2014) than they did the Vive.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,753 Valuable Player
    Yep, then they realised an Oculus Store was less than conducive to having a software vending monopoly.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,188
    Wintermute
    Frankly, when I compare Steam VR top sellers to popular Oculus Store games I am just in gasp at how crap VR gaming is going. It has gave us classics like EliteD and Onward but the majority are just crap and even EchoVR hasn't got Analogue Joystick control. We are having to use old pancake games to adapt instead? Seriously, it's pathetic and even EliteD has so many untapped gaming possibilities it always feels like a demo with add-ons without ever fixing connection issues for Multiplayer Crew! Most titles are never achieving the greatness they really should. I'd say only BoxVR has managed this as an arcade but lacks Boxing style training for workouts. Beat Saber will be as great once released if only they do a similar auto-difficulty process of the beats to music as BoxVR does. It's a very under worked effort for most games!
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 784
    3Jane
    GeekyGami said:
    I'd recommend not acting so entitled to a project being worked on for free, mate.
    If you're entitled to reply like an azz hole, then he/she is entitled to be entitled.
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    jayhawk said:
    GeekyGami said:
    If you're entitled to reply like an azz hole, then he/she is entitled to be entitled.
    See, by your logic, I have the right to be entitled to be entitled because he/she posted like an azz hole in the first place.

This means we are both Schrodginger's assholes, for we are both assholes and not assholes at the same time
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,611 Valuable Player
    Arseholes NOT assholes and DEFINITELY not azz holes  :p :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,425 Valuable Player
    This is a nice little overview of the Half Life community and how they are developing their own conclusion to the series under licence from Valve (time-code 4:59):

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,089 Valuable Player
    Does anyone know if the Half Life mod is still alive?