cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking forward to new feature of own Home -> complete bland home!

Thmoas
Rising Star
I like the idea that we can now create our own geometry.  I like Dash but I don't like the distraction of Home playing in the background. I'm looking forward to having a completely blank Home! Will that be even possible?

What do you think?
27 REPLIES 27

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Just tried the BigCube and it seems to work pretty well.  Certainly gets rid of any home clutter!  I have just using the stock bare home without any decorations btw.  Ended up lowering my total %cpu usage a few % (28 to 25%).  GPU seemed about the same, ~20% total.  Startup lag and lag between apps (like going from store back to home) seems a little faster, but not by much.  No problem accessing the store.

You need to play with your starting position in order to get a nice blank screen.  You can also play with colour and brightness settings to get something pleasing.  I'll stick with this for now.  Many thanks kojack.  Cheers..

I am still loving my BigCube home.  It's almost homeless, lol!  Everything seems to be taking a little less resources than the stock home and transitions between it and other apps (including the store) are a bit faster.  Also, much less distracting, to me anyway.  Thanks again kojack.

People who pray for 'Homeless' should give this a go imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting I just played Doom launched from Oculus and upon closing, Home did not load but just Dash. I use the experimental Longpress if that was the reason. Dash is all that's needed and nothing hehe!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MAC_MAN86 said:

Interesting I just played Doom launched from Oculus and upon closing, Home did not load but just Dash. I use the experimental Longpress if that was the reason. Dash is all that's needed and nothing hehe!

Not sure what that all means?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
It means I quit the game and I end up in the light-grey grid with just DASH. Home was not loaded ready to drop into it even in the darkened Home. I don't have any speed issues with loading Home after Oculus Games anyways but I just don't want this White Cube either on this thread. I'd frankly live with just DASH loading into the light-grey grid any day.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MAC_MAN86 said:

It means I quit the game and I end up in the light-grey grid with just DASH. Home was not loaded ready to drop into it even in the darkened Home. I don't have any speed issues with loading Home after Oculus Games anyways but I just don't want this White Cube either on this thread. I'd frankly live with just DASH loading into the light-grey grid any day.

I tried the long oculus press setting but this did not make any difference.  The home environment still gets loaded after finishing any games or leaving the Oculus Store.  You can still access the Dash menu while the home environment is loading though.  Loading time probably depends on how good your PC's is (cpu/gpu/ram/ssd).  Mine usually loads pretty quickly (3-5 seconds).

I'd also be happy with just the light grey grid background.  The BigCube is fine as well and it does not have to be bright white.  You can adjust the lighting/colours (left controller menu button) to make it any colour/brightness you want.  I just move myself close (but not too close) to the front/middle of an edge and played with lighting/colour to get a nice light cyan coloured background.  This is working very well for me.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Honestly, I rarely Exit a game through any Menu's. Mostly because VR games do not all employ the same method for accessing a menu and Exiting the game. In fact, some games don't even have a Quit option! I've seen this several times, but forgot which games are like this.

Basically, when I'm finished with an experience, I usually just take the HMD off and walk away for a bit. Then I come back and just hit ALT F4 to shut everything down (the game and OH). I just do this naturally for some reason; since 2016.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Can you make a black cube? 🙂

Great how this thread turned out!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Thmoas said:

Can you make a black cube? 🙂

Great how this thread turned out!

I think a couple of the wall's sides already look pretty black to me.  I position myself in front/middle of one of the white sides,  Then I adjusted the brightness/colour mixing in the Oculus Home preferences (left controller/menu) to make it a colour I liked (cyan).  I don't know but you could probably also edit the cube with something like 3D paint as well but I have not tried doing this since I did not find it necessary.  I think you just need to play around with this until you find something that suits you.

Given all the whinging about people wanting a homeless environment over the past +7 months I'm surprised more have not tried this.  Maybe they are just waiting for Oculus to provide a simple one-step blank home option, who knows?