Rift 1.36 PTC Release Notes — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.36 PTC Release Notes

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 336 Oculus Staff
edited February 21 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Home:
  • Sound Objects: Fill your Home with sound by placing new sound objects. Select from an initial pool of nature, sci-fi and other sounds to add effects and enhance your space. Sound Objects can be found in the audio section of your inventory.
  • Gateways: Create an easy link between your own Home and other Homes with a Gateway. Place anywhere in your Home to expand your space and connect different themed rooms or public Homes. Find Gateways in the Special Items section of your inventory.
  • Performance Improvements: Miscellaneous graphics updates for improved performance with medium and low settings across devices.

If you encounter any issues with this PTC software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• CircuitLordCircuitLord Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm not seeing any of the new objects in my inventory after the update. Tried opening a few lootboxes but didn't get any items that looked like that new stuff either. The "audio" tab in my inventory isn't there at all.
  • HotWasabiPeasHotWasabiPeas Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    Just received 1.36, and I STILL cannot see public homes. I can see public homes if I create a new account, but no public homes with my real account. Why??
  • vavoumvavoum Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Just received 1.36, and I STILL cannot see public homes. I can see public homes if I create a new account, but no public homes with my real account. Why??
    I have had numerous issues like that when the other person is not on the same executable or update version. my friend is in my room but not is meshes. the thing is oculus is very poor at comunicating update and what they do and what to expect.. baby steps
  • HotWasabiPeasHotWasabiPeas Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    vavoum said:
    I have had numerous issues like that when the other person is not on the same executable or update version.
    I was talking about public homes, not friend's homes. The issue has nothing to do with "the other person".

To reiterate, if I create a new account, I can see a list of public homes. On my real account, I can only see the three example homes.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Please improve turning and allow 2 Touch Controllers to act as games do (just not Echo VR as that needs improving too!). I wonder if we can add sounds & music to our existing Homes? Provide us with a full character too.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,115
    Wintermute
    I was talking about public homes, not friend's homes. The issue has nothing to do with "the other person".

To reiterate, if I create a new account, I can see a list of public homes. On my real account, I can only see the three example homes.

Same here, except I'm not going to be creating another account to troubleshoot this.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,276
    Wintermute
    OK, I tried 1.36 PTC earlier today.  I ran through a few games/apps, including Steam, Oculus, and independent sources.  All worked fine.  I did not notice any significant performance diffs.  

I have not tried the Dollhouse or music features since I don't use those anyway with my Bland BigCube Home.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/73506/looking-forward-to-new-feature-of-own-home-complete-bland-home#latest

So far, so good!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

• WsterntimeWsterntime Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This update did something to my dashboard. The screen is still at the right level but the board that you select items from such as Explore, settings, home, social etc is so high in the air now I can not reach it. I restarted everything yet it is still the same. Worked fine before this update.
    Wintermute
    edited February 21
    This update did something to my dashboard. The screen is still at the right level but the board that you select items from such as Explore, settings, home, social etc is so high in the air now I can not reach it. I restarted everything yet it is still the same. Worked fine before this update.
    I did not see this problem with 1.36 PTC.  Not sure why you do?  Just grab it (you might need to stand up and/or start off in a sitting position to begin with) and drag it down and you should be ok.  This seemed to fix it ok for me with 1.35 after a couple of restarts.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

Wintermute
    edited February 22
    I agree 100%.  Where the heck is ASW 2.0???  I'm getting tired of disabling ASW in X-Plane 11 because of the crappy wavy artifacts the current ASW 1.0 produces.

Wintermute
    edited February 22
    Please be advised that "Multiplayer" Home and Social aspects of VR are much more important than stability, reliability and performance.

We're a month short of 3 years (edited) with the Consumer Version Rift, but the meat and potatoes software is still regularly spoiled by the unwanted sauces.

I think it's time they separated the VR Library, Store and Launch Interface from the unnecessary Home fluff.
    Wintermute
    Richooal said:
    Please be advised that "Multiplayer" Home and Social aspects of VR are much more important than stability, reliability and performance.

We're a month short of 2 years with the Consumer Version Rift, but the meat and potatoes software is still regularly spoiled by the unwanted sauces.

I think it's time they separated the VR Library, Store and Launch Interface from the unnecessary Home fluff.
    Richooal said:

We're a month short of 2 years with the Consumer Version Rift, but the meat and potatoes software is still regularly spoiled by the unwanted sauces.

Sorry but I do not understand your point. If you mean that Oculus seems to be concentrating on too much Oculus Dollhouse stuff, then I agree.

• ChaossChaoss Posts: 250
    Art3mis
    If you're not seeing the new things in the beta, run Oculus, put on the headset and let home load, now run any game and let it run for around a minute, then close out of the game and you should see any new features. This is because Oculus Home needs to update something while Oculus client is open but it can't because Home is running, when you run a game Home closes and it'll give the updater a chance to enable the new features
    "In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
    Wintermute
    This should happen when you update and restart. It did with me anyway. Maybe another restart is useful for some?

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,608 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:

I believe that would be 3 years actually...

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RydetzRydetz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm currently getting an error. "We're having problems starting, The software might be updating, wait a minute or if the problem keeps happening, contact Oculus support" or something like that.  This has been going on for the last 5 hours.  Anyone have an idea on this?
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    Richooal said:

I believe that would be 3 years actually...

Oops! You're right. Thank you.
    Wintermute
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Richooal said:

Richooal said:

Sorry but I do not understand your point. If you mean that Oculus seems to be concentrating on too much Oculus Dollhouse stuff, then I agree.

Is there an echo in here?
  • davejohnblackdavejohnblack Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Jeez! Another Home focused update? What about ASW 2.0? What about in-game performance improvements (according to this list, they didn't even try to improve it)?
    Don't get me wrong, sound objects and gateways seem very cool, and I like Home, but it's not the center of the VR world...

You are assuming that the same people who work on home also work on the runtime, I would be surprised if that was mainly the case... Asw 2 does seem to be takeing quite a while though... But i guess they are a lot more carful with runtime changes and have to stay ahead of graphics driver and application bugs.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    edited February 22
     @Zenbane, just added a portal to your home1.

very cool :smile:
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Wintermute
    Jeez! Another Home focused update? What about ASW 2.0? What about in-game performance improvements (according to this list, they didn't even try to improve it)?
    Don't get me wrong, sound objects and gateways seem very cool, and I like Home, but it's not the center of the VR world...

You are assuming that the same people who work on home also work on the runtime, I would be surprised if that was mainly the case... Asw 2 does seem to be takeing quite a while though... But i guess they are a lot more carful with runtime changes and have to stay ahead of graphics driver and application bugs.
    Yeah, have to agree with this... most dev teams are focussed on a specific project, and don’t cross to other things (too hard to keep changing headspace).

I’d much prefer them to take their time with the underlying drivers and system than rush stuff
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    You can grab it and move it down?

Wintermute
    Thmoas said:
    You can grab it and move it down?

I was able to grab mine and pull it down no problem.  I seem to recall I needed to stand up in order to reach it though, lol!  Mine now seems to start up at the right height.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity

I didn't assume anything, mate. It's a fact that this update only brought Home stuff, and it's a fact that other updates actually brought other stuff. That's why I'm disappointed. But hey, I'll just wait for next month update, hopefully there will be more than Home this time.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Wintermute
    edited February 23
    In all fairness to Oculus I think there are some minor performance improvements with 1.36 PTC.  My %cpu and %gpu usage in home is down a few % and the transition time between the Store and Home is a little faster.

If you want to see further improvements go to your home settings/graphics and turn off the improved panel rendering option but leave AA on because it does make text look a lot clearer.  Also, go to the Preferences (left controller/menu) and go to graphics.  Turn off the top auto option then turn down quality to low.  By doing those changes I lowered my %cpu and %gpu another +5% each and I cannot really notice much difference in visual quality.

Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    kzintzi said:
     @Zenbane, just added a portal to your home1.

very cool :smile:
    God help us all.

Just saw the Portal, it's awesome!

I cordially invite anyone to make a Portal to my Home. Fair warning, this is my most common greeting:

now all we need is more than 4 homes, and the ability to name them other than "Home#1/2/3/4".. I'm goingto sacrifice one of my homes to make it into a portal world or something; don't suppose anyone has a link to the doco on creating your own homes?
    Wintermute
    kzintzi said:
     don't suppose anyone has a link to the doco on creating your own homes?

This one?
    https://creator.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-home-user-created-spaces/