cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countless issues with my Rift

MentalParadox
Explorer
I see you deleted my post, so I'll just repost. You'll have to ban me if you want me to shut up.

My Rift used to work mostly fine. Then, I wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows 7, and did not use VR for over a year. Now, I tried to come back. And what a bitter disappointment it is. I'll list the issues I'm having. 

The first issue, I've had the last time I used VR. Annoying microstuttering in tracking. Regardless of how many times I reinstall software or what USB 3.0 socket I use, it always stutters and makes me nauseous. But this, if you can believe it, I have gotten used to. There are much worse problems now...

Complete loss of tracking. The tracking regularly fails now. First the positional tracking, then the directional tracking stars failing. Occasionally it comes back briefly, only to fail again. This is vomit-inducing. It happens so frequently, I just can't use it anymore. I tried changing USB socket. I tried rebooting the PC. Nothing works. The tracker is in the same place it's always been, and back then it worked. Mostly...

The Oculus program is unstable and crashes. Apps will suddenly slow down and become unresponsive. It starts getting so slow and unstable, I can't even quit the app without doing control+alt+delete and killing the process from there. Also, my entire computer is noticably slower (bordering on unusable) since installing the Oculus software. Just turning the app off doesn't fix this, only a reboot briefly does. I've had this issue before last time I used the Rift. I reported the problem here, and was called 'crazy' for daring to suggest the Oculus software negatively affected Windows. Well guess what, it happened again. On a clean PC, with a clean install of both Windows and Oculus. 

So yeah... suggestions, anyone? I really don't have the money for another tracker. My enthusiasm for VR dissipated along with my bank account some time in 2016.
22 REPLIES 22

falken76
Expert Consultant

I'll try that. A part of me is silently resigned that this is never going to be fixed, though. 

You need to upgrade to windows 10, this is a conflict of some sort on your system.  Your financial status won't change the fact that Windows 7 is outdated and no longer supported.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Get Windows 10 first.

Wingnutradio
Honored Guest
The issues I have are related, to windows 10. The intermittent black screen, visual loss? Does anyone else have this issue I’ve used the information provided in earlier posts, about turning power on and disabling USB power options.