cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official TV Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. 😞

So what are you guys and girls watching?
351 REPLIES 351

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have taken a spirit level to it now and the right hand side needs to come up by another mm or so but it's close enough lol

Have now tried the Roku stick thingy. Just set up Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, the latter works fine but the former just displays a black screen with the Netflix logo on it. Fuck knows what's going on there.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops, bloody phone lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
You're now part of an important experiment, Netflix 2k vs. 4k - can you see the difference?  B)
Depending on the processor(s) taking care of the 2k to 4k upscaling, you may see quite a bit of difference. I think Netflix 4k requires a 25 Mbit connection or better though. Or get a 4k UHD player  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't do bugger all with Netflix at the moment. All I get is a black screen and the red Netflix logo. I might leave it there for 5 minutes and see if it does something lol

Don't you have to pay extra for 4K Netflix though?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

I can't do bugger all with Netflix at the moment. All I get is a black screen and the red Netflix logo. I might leave it there for 5 minutes and see if it does something lol

Don't you have to pay extra for 4K Netflix though?

Yes, about $5 extra per month. I dropped it because then I was forced to have HDR activated in supported shows - or I didn't see how to deactivate HDR :blush: Using Netflix 4k through the Sony ubp-x800 or 1000es 4k player it should be possible to deactivate HDR in Netflix. I'm thinking about getting one if I get too impatient waiting for the PS5... But strange that you can't watch Netflix, you could try to call them. And give them my regards - I'm the dude constantly complaining about black Netflix screen in the Rift  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it's no big deal Netflix not working because I usually watch Netflix either with my PC browser or my Wii U controller at night whilst I'm waiting for my pills to knock me out lol 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
The UK TV channels, particularly what used to be the terrestrial channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5), are offering their own streaming service called BritBox. It's a set top box with a monthly subscription that offers programmes and series from the UK. They've been doing the same thing in the States for a while apparently and have recently made the decision to do the same thing over here.

People that are stupid enough to pay for a TB Licence have been going into one about it, but being stupid enough to buy a TV Licence means they're also stupid enough not to realise that you won't need a TV Licence to own and subscribe to one of these because they don't offer live streaming.

I won't be getting one myself because I'm already paying for both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so that's more than enough subscriptions for my liking.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Snowdog, don't take it personally - obviously Big Mike is simply jealous of your amazing skills as a home decorator. Next time he goes on vacation, maybe some of his friends or family can help you get access to his home, so you can help him improve his standards - I'm sure it'll be a great surprise for Mike!  o:)

Dont get me wrong, i am a professional bodger myself, i was not judging, just leg pulling

to prove my point.... (excuse the sensor position, i moved my arcade and forgot to replace sensors)

the telly slopes to the right (my dad - a retired builder - was disgusted at the job i made mounting the TV
and the arcade slopes to the left (which to be fair is not my fault the builder (not my dad!) did an awful job at levelling the floor)

6o37vzyy6r41.jpg
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
btw back on topic i have just 1 more episode to go on "Fortitude". It is a strange one, am at the end of series 3 and I still have not decided if it is any good or not. It has its moments, for sure, and I like the twists and turns it takes regarding character development, but it is proper weird.   I am not 100% convinced the person who wrote it - esp series 2 - is completely sane!.

I needed to watch something to fill the hole until Stranger Things series 3 launches.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I have no idea what to watch when I'm through Punisher Season 2 😐

Has anyone been watching True Detective Season 3 - is it good? Compared to Season 1, Season 3 has gotten much lower ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

https://youtu.be/6hzd1iFu84k