cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

ohgrant
Superstar

snowdog said:

I also forgot to mention that I've bought a dodgy aerial from an ad on Facebook. It claims that all Sky and BT channels are broadcast like normal TV channels but you need either a provider box or this special aerial to watch them, a normal TV aerial isn't powerful enough.

Probably a big con but at half price it was £20 so worth a punt just to see if it's legit or not lol

Aerial= Antennae right? Sounds like he is talking about free to air. I think it's like our system over here. VHF is no longer used but UHF is. You'll be amazed at how much farther a digital signal travels, you'll pick up stations you never though you could. You will also probably notice a much crisper picture and better sound than the same stations from your provider because no signal degradation at all. If that doesn't work for you, try a better signal amplifier. The higher the db the better.  
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope, not free stuff. All of the paid satellite channels. He claims that provider boxes actually STOP you from receiving stuff until you pay them extra. All of the channels are broadcast over the airwaves and you can pick them all up for free using this magic device lol

Probably a load of old bollocks but it's worth 20 quid just to find out.

inovator
Consultant
You will see the outside world all around u know matter how big the tv. I played 2d games in a 70 inch and a 65 inch. It's not much more immersion. But for me a 2d game on my other headset Playstation vr with dark surrounding and massive imax like screen is pretty good immersion even with less than HD quality.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Watching the football on a 65 inch screen is awesome, shame that I didn't find a HD stream last night though. My dodgy aerial is on its way now so I hopefully won't have that problem for most matches...unless it's a con job of course lol 😄

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

Nope, not free stuff. All of the paid satellite channels. He claims that provider boxes actually STOP you from receiving stuff until you pay them extra. All of the channels are broadcast over the airwaves and you can pick them all up for free using this magic device lol

Probably a load of old bollocks but it's worth 20 quid just to find out.

hmmm i think that is unlikely TBH, however PM me the supplier if it comes through 😄

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

inovator said:

You will see the outside world all around u know matter how big the tv. I played 2d games in a 70 inch and a 65 inch. It's not much more immersion. But for me a 2d game on my other headset Playstation vr with dark surrounding and massive imax like screen is pretty good immersion even with less than HD quality.

So the question was: "Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?"

- and the conclusion may be: "No, but it'll get you back into watching a helluva lot more TV and movies - and possibly greatly limit your time in VR"

Something like that. Apart from the Rift, I think my new Sony 85" is one of the most awesome technological achievements I've experienced - it's truly a magic black mirror - the amazing (anti-depressive) colors, the image size, the deep OLED-like blacks, the resolution and the 48+ fps motion flow are holding me hostage in my couch :# Am I becoming like a moth to a flame? :#   

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still amazed that you can fit an 85" telly in your house lol

My 65" telly is almost the maximum size I can possible fit in my bedroom, I reckon I might be able to fit in a 70" one at a push but I can't see me going any bigger than that.

I've certainly come a long way from buying a 26" CRT from someone living in one of the room of a shared house in the late 90s for 20 quid...it wasn't even a widescreen 😮 😄 Previous to that I just had a 10" black and white portable lol 😄

I then went to a 28" widescreen CRT which weighed a fucking TONNE that I got off a mate of mine for free, with a 37" 1080p telly after that and then my telly before this one was a 50" 1080p telly.

If someone had told me in the 90s that I'd have a 65" telly in 2019 I probably would have called an ambulance for them to take them to the local Looney Bin lmfao 😄 😄 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
So... I'm still dabbling in pancake gaming world. It still takes me anywhere from 6-10 months to finish a game. Even if the game can be completed in less than 40-60 hours. I don't think pancake gaming will ever be something that I can go back to in the same capacity as when I first started gaming.

pyroth309
Visionary
I feel like an 85" is too large for 4k gaming for me as the optimal viewing distance is like 8-10 feet and I like to game up close. That's more like 8k territory I think. If I was using it in my living room and sitting across the room from it then yea sure. I'm sure it does look incredible for movie watching lol.

I use a Sony X900F 49" as a monitor for 4k gaming and it's mounted up on my desk. I sit probably 4 feet back from it and it's pretty nice. Any larger and it would be a problem I think as the Pixels per inch start to get really low.

I also have a 144hz 1440p monitor on an arm that I pull across for when I play twitch games. So yea, for me, pancake gaming is still alive and well and will be for awhile. I only have 1 real life friend who has taken the VR plunge and so many coop VR games pretty much require you to have friend/friends to get the full enjoyment. so I'm always getting pulled back to flatscreen to play with other friends.

Right now I'm working on Metro Exodus and it's pretty awesome. A game like this in VR would be mind blowing...And horrifying.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

I'm still amazed that you can fit an 85" telly in your house lol

My 65" telly is almost the maximum size I can possible fit in my bedroom, I reckon I might be able to fit in a 70" one at a push but I can't see me going any bigger than that.

I can still remember the first time I saw her - well, sort of, I think it was in 2014 - it was a mesmerizing moment  ❤️

https://youtu.be/AVibSuXBP0c

https://youtu.be/WCll53Ioopo

Back then the price was about £ 35,000 which - even among friends - may be considered a substantial amount  😄 Since then it has been a dream of mine getting a 85" 4K TV. The last year 85" has been reduced a lot in price, often more than 50 %, so I thought the time was right. Maybe I could wait another 5 years for the price to come down another 50%, but I don't want to wait anymore. Ok, never got the Samsung S9 85", but the Sony 85" is like 5 years newer and uses less than 50 % of the S9 in power  o:)

BTW, I've got a gut feeling that 75" and beyond isn't what the local crack addicts are going to remove from your home. 85" is incredibly cumbersome to move - it's heavy and difficult to hold, and it's simply too big for many homes (I don't think I can get it downstairs due to it's size). Even if the price comes down even more, I'm unsure how popular such TVs will become... (then again, maybe someone said that about 28" TVs in the early 1980s 😄 )

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"