cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Visit Public Homes

Labrat228
Honored Guest
I've joined the public beta, non-friends have been entering my home, but when I go to the recommended section in places I only see the three example homes.

I'm running on a new install of Oculus -- Oculus support had me run a repair (nothing happened). Now they'd like me to go through this long process to see if we can get this one broken feature working (everything else is working perfectly). 

1) Disconnect your computer from the internet.
2) Backup any necessary content.
You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
3) Reboot into Safe Mode.
4) Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
5) Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
C:\Program Files
6) Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup
7) Restart your computer in normal mode.
😎 Reconnect your computer to the internet.
9) Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.

Needless to say, I'm not interested in going through this process if a simple fix exists that I've been missing. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

HotWasabiPeas
Protege
Did you ever "fix" this issue? I'm in the same situation as you described. I've done clean installs, but nothing. I'm now on the latest 1.35 PTC, and still nothing. I have had random people come into my home, though, just like you did. No idea WTF is wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stoneseeker
Explorer
I'm in the exact same boat here too, and another friend with Rift is also having the same issue exactly as you describe, only the 3 example homes available.  I started a thread in the oculus sub reddit too:  https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/altuan/tips_to_discover_awesome_public_homes/

Also submitted a ticket like yourself.  I think anyone who is having this issue,  (from asking around in other VR applications it seems like quite a few are effected by this)  should submit a support ticket so that Oculus sees it's not just isolated cases.  It is obviously a problem with the way the software is implementing the update and needs to be addressed.  

Richooal
Consultant
It seems like the hardware is CV but the software is still DK. 😕

P.S. It doesn't work for me either, but I'm not bothered. Home is just a launch platform for my VR Apps.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

cScottD
Explorer
I'm having the same problem. Other people can visit my public homes, but the only recommended homes I see are the original 3 example homes. No public homes show up for me.

LZoltowski
Champion

cScottD said:

I'm having the same problem. Other people can visit my public homes, but the only recommended homes I see are the original 3 example homes. No public homes show up for me.

What version of the Oculus software are you running?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cScottD
Explorer
1.35.0.206993 (1.35.0.206993)

Stoneseeker
Explorer
***UPDATE!  ***
To anyone who hasn't logged in yet to see, Oculus released a fix to this issue for all those who still couldn't visit public homes like myself.  Oddly I can't see any official mention from them on the issue, though maybe there was a twitter announcement or something?  Anyway, anyone I knew online and IRL who had this issue now has it fixed for them as of 2 days ago.  So good on Oculus for figuring it out and releasing a fix,  but how about a bit more honest communication and transparency in the future (just tell us your working on it and to be patient, for instance) instead of telling all your customers through the support tickets they open to restart Oculus and uninstall/reinstall oculus software!  

cScottD
Explorer
It's working for me now too! I have a nice selection of Public Homes in my Recommended list now.

I'm not sure how it chooses which ones to show me.They seem to be mostly the same ones, with a few new ones swapped in from time to time. At some point, I'm really hoping they'll add the option to go to a specific person's Home, by name.

Stoneseeker
Explorer
Yeah, it would be nice to have a better way to explore public homes than just a random list.  However, if you know a person online has an awesome home you can search the name of that user and then send a request.  If they accept you can get into their home.  Another way to visit new homes that I've been doing is to go to a random home that you see lot's of people in and then just start socializing and asking if anyone knows of some really dope homes they think are worth visiting.  Someone is bound to friend you and then take you on a guided tour of their faves, at least that has happened a couple times now to me.  Remember each time you find a cool home to like it so it goes to your fave list for later.