Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming? - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,736 Valuable Player
    Nope, not free stuff. All of the paid satellite channels. He claims that provider boxes actually STOP you from receiving stuff until you pay them extra. All of the channels are broadcast over the airwaves and you can pick them all up for free using this magic device lol

Probably a load of old bollocks but it's worth 20 quid just to find out.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,850
    Project 2501
    You will see the outside world all around u know matter how big the tv. I played 2d games in a 70 inch and a 65 inch. It's not much more immersion. But for me a 2d game on my other headset Playstation vr with dark surrounding and massive imax like screen is pretty good immersion even with less than HD quality.
    Watching the football on a 65 inch screen is awesome, shame that I didn't find a HD stream last night though. My dodgy aerial is on its way now so I hopefully won't have that problem for most matches...unless it's a con job of course lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Nope, not free stuff. All of the paid satellite channels. He claims that provider boxes actually STOP you from receiving stuff until you pay them extra. All of the channels are broadcast over the airwaves and you can pick them all up for free using this magic device lol

Probably a load of old bollocks but it's worth 20 quid just to find out.
    hmmm i think that is unlikely TBH, however PM me the supplier if it comes through :D

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,573 Valuable Player
    edited February 28
      inovator said:
    You will see the outside world all around u know matter how big the tv. I played 2d games in a 70 inch and a 65 inch. It's not much more immersion. But for me a 2d game on my other headset Playstation vr with dark surrounding and massive imax like screen is pretty good immersion even with less than HD quality.

So the question was: "Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?"

- and the conclusion may be: "No, but it'll get you back into watching a helluva lot more TV and movies - and possibly greatly limit your time in VR"

Something like that. Apart from the Rift, I think my new Sony 85" is one of the most awesome technological achievements I've experienced - it's truly a magic black mirror - the amazing (anti-depressive) colors, the image size, the deep OLED-like blacks, the resolution and the 48+ fps motion flow are holding me hostage in my couch :# Am I becoming like a moth to a flame? :#   

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    I'm still amazed that you can fit an 85" telly in your house lol

My 65" telly is almost the maximum size I can possible fit in my bedroom, I reckon I might be able to fit in a 70" one at a push but I can't see me going any bigger than that.

I've certainly come a long way from buying a 26" CRT from someone living in one of the room of a shared house in the late 90s for 20 quid...it wasn't even a widescreen :o :D Previous to that I just had a 10" black and white portable lol :D

I then went to a 28" widescreen CRT which weighed a fucking TONNE that I got off a mate of mine for free, with a 37" 1080p telly after that and then my telly before this one was a 50" 1080p telly.

If someone had told me in the 90s that I'd have a 65" telly in 2019 I probably would have called an ambulance for them to take them to the local Looney Bin lmfao :D :D :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,103 Valuable Player
    So... I'm still dabbling in pancake gaming world. It still takes me anywhere from 6-10 months to finish a game. Even if the game can be completed in less than 40-60 hours. I don't think pancake gaming will ever be something that I can go back to in the same capacity as when I first started gaming.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    edited February 28
    I feel like an 85" is too large for 4k gaming for me as the optimal viewing distance is like 8-10 feet and I like to game up close. That's more like 8k territory I think. If I was using it in my living room and sitting across the room from it then yea sure. I'm sure it does look incredible for movie watching lol.

I use a Sony X900F 49" as a monitor for 4k gaming and it's mounted up on my desk. I sit probably 4 feet back from it and it's pretty nice. Any larger and it would be a problem I think as the Pixels per inch start to get really low.

I also have a 144hz 1440p monitor on an arm that I pull across for when I play twitch games. So yea, for me, pancake gaming is still alive and well and will be for awhile. I only have 1 real life friend who has taken the VR plunge and so many coop VR games pretty much require you to have friend/friends to get the full enjoyment. so I'm always getting pulled back to flatscreen to play with other friends.

Right now I'm working on Metro Exodus and it's pretty awesome. A game like this in VR would be mind blowing...And horrifying.
    edited February 28
    snowdog said:
    I'm still amazed that you can fit an 85" telly in your house lol

My 65" telly is almost the maximum size I can possible fit in my bedroom, I reckon I might be able to fit in a 70" one at a push but I can't see me going any bigger than that.

I can still remember the first time I saw her - well, sort of, I think it was in 2014 - it was a mesmerizing moment  <3

Back then the price was about £ 35,000 which - even among friends - may be considered a substantial amount  :D Since then it has been a dream of mine getting a 85" 4K TV. The last year 85" has been reduced a lot in price, often more than 50 %, so I thought the time was right. Maybe I could wait another 5 years for the price to come down another 50%, but I don't want to wait anymore. Ok, never got the Samsung S9 85", but the Sony 85" is like 5 years newer and uses less than 50 % of the S9 in power  o:)

BTW, I've got a gut feeling that 75" and beyond isn't what the local crack addicts are going to remove from your home. 85" is incredibly cumbersome to move - it's heavy and difficult to hold, and it's simply too big for many homes (I don't think I can get it downstairs due to it's size). Even if the price comes down even more, I'm unsure how popular such TVs will become... (then again, maybe someone said that about 28" TVs in the early 1980s :D )
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    I bought an LG Ultrawide Curved (21:9) 34 incher ...3440x1440 res, made me want to replay some of my favourite games and the level of immersion is incredible, with your peripheral vision filled in. Since most movies are 21:9 aspect ratio, watching them has been a completely new experience, no black bars! It definitely made me play more pancake games.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    The only downside with this telly is that it's only a 50Hz 4K telly so any 60Hz signal is halved to 30Hz so that it can display it. 1080p at 60Hz isn't a problem though.

I still can't get this Netflix app to work though, I was thinking that it might be down to the 60Hz issue but in the stick settings I changed the resolution from 4K 30Hz to 1080p 60Hz and it still isn't working. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and doing a factory reset and setting the stick up again from scratch but still no dice. Very odd.

edited March 1
    Hmmm, my TV has MotionFlow XR 1000 Hz (yup, "one-thousand"), now I'm wondering if that could mean that 30 fps 4K games on the XBox One X will be converted into 60+ fps or better... Actually that may be quite true... Still I think I'll continue waiting for the PS5...

Info about the older MotionFlow 200 Hz to illustrate the principle (although the frames have to be recalculated to fit 120 Hz refresh rate):

So tonight I completed the entire collection of, The Longest Journey. It took me damn near a year!

I played the original release of Longest Journey back in 1999, and it always stuck with me as one of my favorite adventure series of all time. For me it comes second only to Myst/Riven.

I knew of the sequel, Dreamfall, back in 2006 but I kept prolonging acquiring it. Then in 2017 they released the third and final chapter (or chapters I should say), with the Dreamfall Chapters - the Final Cut.

I started from the very first 1999 version of the game and played all the way to the end. I began replaying them in summer of 2018, and finished everything tonight, in March of 2019.

I found the entire experience and story to be quite amazing. Which is why I am posting about it.

But I also can't help but notice that it took me way too damn long to get through what should have taken maybe 2-3 months tops. A large part of this is simply due to the fact that... not matter how challenging, compelling, or intriguing a game is, in the end if it is not an immersive experience (VR) then I'm gonna struggle committing time to it.

In contrast, I have completed over a dozen VR Games in the last year, and have written reviews about the most memorable. So this experience is just more confirmation (to me) that pancake gaming has taken a permanent back seat. There are other flat games I do plan to engage in, such as the Metro series. But I can't even imagine how long it'll take me to play through them (assuming I can actually commit to the end).

It's not just PC games that have suffered in this way. Consoles are even worse. It was a damn chore to play through Assassin's Creed, and any time I load a console it's usually just to show someone something real quick.

Then there's mobile app gaming. Where I once enjoyed mobile games like Clash of Clans, I haven't even installed a mobile game since I acquired my Rift in 2016.

Once true AAA VR Titles start hitting the market, pancake gaming will be in for some serious change. I imagine that flat gaming will serve as an extension to VR Gaming. Although this shift probably won't happen until 2025 or later.
    edited March 3
    I fully agree with Zenbane's last post, but also - maybe - large black 4K mirrors may work their magic to some extend when gaming in true 4K (not upscaled). This is gaming in true 4K (PC) on a 75" 4K TV comparing PC and consoles (PS4 Pro 4K upscaled and more). The depth of the perceived image is indeed much better in 4K, when everything is sharp.

Then again - even though the 2D image quality is great, you don't have real arms and hands in game - and remember that the VR screen is virtually unlimited = *much* bigger than any 2D TV will ever be. No matter the resolution and image quality I don't think any TV can even remotely beat VR. But if you're used to gaming in 2K on a small TV, then using a large 4K TV in 60+ fps (native 4K res) may be a night and day experience. 

I might get this player next week and see if I can see any difference between 4K vs. "1080p upscaled to 4K" in movies - most persons I've asked about this couldn't see any difference, but of course movies are a 24 fps blurry mess ;)

Fun thing - this is the Sony UBP-X800, and there's also the Sony UBP-X1000ES, which more or less looks exactly the same when turned off - but X1000ES is 2 or 3 times as expensive compared to X800. Among Amazon users, some observed the X1000ES to have much better image quality than the X800. This is quite funny, because X800 and X1000ES (and even the X700) use exactly the same drive and image processers. So the image quality is exactly the same comparing X700, X800 and X1000ES (even Sony has admitted that). But the X1000ES has much better audio options (including optical output and much more - and it has a front display, while X800 is pure Japanese minimalism - requiring a TV for display). My point with all this being that knowing you payed more for option A vs. B may introduce a cognitive bias, and may get you to notice things that aren't true. Therefore we need blinded-experiments to get rid of all the mumbo-jumbo. And therefore videos like this one is of great interest (love the white coats and the protective glasses - does Linus expect the monitors to like ... explode? :D ):

But note that they're using relatively small screens for gaming. For 4K I'd love to see a similar blinded test using really big TVs - like 75" or larger (like the first video in this post, but the reviewer was not blinded in that video and may - at least to some degree - be subject to a cogitive bias).

edited March 3
    Zen, the good news is the first 2 Metro games are only about 12 hours each unless you're a completionist, but Exodus took me more like 35. Game definitely drags on in the middle of it, but not bad enough to make me quit playing. It was worth it because the end is awesome. 

I agree Rune that if you compare them with the same game, then VR is a more impressive/better experience. But it comes back to content for me. One of the most impressive games I have ever experienced in VR is Titan Slayer...and it's like 20 minutes long. But battling huge bosses like that and having to side step attacks really opened my eyes early to the potential of VR. Now we just need a game like that that's 30+ hours lol. It really made me dream about playing a MMORPG with that kind of combat in VR. Sadly though, Titan Slayer was one of the earliest games I bought and I'm still waiting for something to compare to it that's longer. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,251 Valuable Player
    Has to be a really good 2D game to get me interested. I have lots of 2D PC games that I need to play, but soon get fed up with. But I purchased a PlayStation just because I didn't want to miss out on Red Dead Redemption 2, and I have to say I just love this game. If Red Dead Redemption 2 came to VR, it would be a dream come true. I also like games like Xcom 2 and other strategy games, but VR has come nowhere near delivering something like Xcom 2.  
    pyroth309 said:
    Zen, the good news is the first 2 Metro games are only about 12 hours each unless you're a completionist, but Exodus took me more like 35. Game definitely drags on in the middle of it, but not bad enough to make me quit playing. It was worth it because the end is awesome. 

I started the first Metro game tonight!

It does pull you in much quicker and time just flies by due to nature of the "mission" approach. The same thing happens to me in games like StarCraft where the story of the Campaign that connects missions together makes you forget how long you've been playing.

A 12 hour game is right up my alley. That's like VR game numbers lol
    Zenbane said:
    pyroth309 said:

I started the first Metro game tonight!

It does pull you in much quicker and time just flies by due to nature of the "mission" approach. The same thing happens to me in games like StarCraft where the story of the Campaign that connects missions together makes you forget how long you've been playing.

A 12 hour game is right up my alley. That's like VR game numbers lol
    Yea, 4A games has exceptional storytelling. I was kind of disappointed with Arktika.1 even though I enjoyed it. It became obvious after the first couple of missions that they simply didn't have the budget or time to make it up to their usual standards. It's a very Poor man's metro. 
    Am I wrong in thinking you can play Metro in big screen using 3D? I know I've done this with a few 3D capable games and it's not bad if you pull the screen quite close to you.
    I know Last Light was in 3d, not sure if the original was. Maybe they are in the Redux versions? You should play the Redux if you play original games as they graphics were greatly improved. 
    Here's a post on Steam about Redux - 

Metro Redux is UNREAL in 3D Vision
    Just purchased Metro Redux a few hours ago. 3d Vision takes this game to a WHOLE another level. Played vanilla Metro back in the day and enjoyed it but this game in 3d......WOW.
    edited March 3
    pyroth309 said:
    Here's a post on Steam about Redux - 

Metro Redux is UNREAL in 3D Vision
    Just purchased Metro Redux a few hours ago. 3d Vision takes this game to a WHOLE another level. Played vanilla Metro back in the day and enjoyed it but this game in 3d......WOW.

I have a 3D projector, so I might have a look at it on that. That should give me a sense of feeling like I'm in the game when I'm playing on a 110 inch screen in 3D.  :)

I don't usually play games on my projector even though it's a gaming one.
    I still haven't forgiven the bastards at 4A making that who're at the start of the game rip you off. That's just not cricket!  :D

I loved Arktika.1!

But I can totally see how anyone who started with Metro and then played Arktika.1 could be rather disappointed.

What I love about both Metro and Arktika.1 is that the theme reminds me of being a Terran in StarCraft fighting some Zerg! It also reminds me of my old favorite Mutant Chronicles books.
    edited March 15
    Just finished Metro 2033 today, it was fantastic!

Quite a few members of this community recommended that I try this (can't remember who), but I'm glad I took the advice. This was definitely a fun pancake gaming experience. It took me forever, of course, since I still struggle to stay in standard gaming for long periods of time; but I did enjoy every minute of it.

I bought the sequel to Metro 2033 and at some point will buy the new Exodus game. But I will probably take a nice break from pancaking gaming and head back in to VR.

About 1 pancake gaming experience every 3-5 months seems right up my alley!
    I've decided not to buy an XBox One X for the 85" TV, basically because I have little time to play my VR games, and the new TV already has increased my time watching movies and (Netflix) TV shows. Adding a new console may limit my VR time way too much - and I don't want that to happen. Furthermore don't want the kids to use my TV too much  ;)

Jumped into the 4K waters last night by finally deciding what to buy first - and I chose this show. It's 9.3 on IMDB and made in real 4K (not fake/upscaled 4K):

Image result for 4k blue planet 2

Later today I'm picking this up - and I'll reconsider pancake gaming when the PS5 arrives:

Image result for sony x800

Zenbane said:
    Just finished Metro 2033 today, it was fantastic!

Quite a few members of this community recommended that I try this (can't remember who), but I'm glad I took the advice. This was definitely a fun pancake gaming experience. It took me forever, of course, since I still struggle to stay in standard gaming for long periods of time; but I did enjoy every minute of it.

I bought the sequel to Metro 2033 and at some point will buy the new Exodus game. But I will probably take a nice break from pancaking gaming and head back in to VR.

About 1 pancake gaming experience every 3-5 months seems right up my alley!
    I was one of them. 2033 is indeed fantastic. The story continues with Last Light so you might want to consider just plowing through it in the near future while 2033 story is relatively fresh. All 3 games are great in their own ways. Definitely one of my favorite series. 
    Fair point. Maybe I will load up Last Light this weekend then, to keep the story fresh. It is a short playthrough, and I really got addicted to that "starcraft" feel the game has.
    edited March 16
    Zenbane said:
    Fair point. Maybe I will load up Last Light this weekend then, to keep the story fresh. It is a short playthrough, and I really got addicted to that "starcraft" feel the game has.
    Yea, 2033 is probably the Darkest of of the 3 games which is why I love it. Your gaming preferences will determine if Last Light is superior for you or not. It seems to be for most people. I kind of liked the more horror vibe of 2033 but there was definitely some things Last Light did better as well. Last Light Redux is still one of the best looking games on PC to this day. Exodus is kind of like an amalgamation of the two and added more open world elements. It's also longer than both games combined which is also good and bad. 
    Started Metro Last Light yesterday, and played through in to the AM lol

This one is more addicting than the first. I think the story does a great job of keeping me intrigued.