cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering, Poor Performance

Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE: After sending my laptop to Acer for repair, everything was essentially working well on the laptop. They applied new thermals and temps are really good now, even without an undervolt. Unfortunately, my Rift experience is barely improved, if at all. I've released one of the main issues is what appears to be ghosting. Both in the hands and HMD. Sometimes it's unplayable, sometimes it isn't, but it's never 'good'. Varying 'choppy-ness', stuttering, and major ghosting.  

I've essentially come to three conclusions. There's something wrong with my Rift, Rift has poor performance with my configuration, or my expectations of what are acceptable are too high. Others say they use the same laptop, and it's very smooth, I don't know how anyone could say my experience is smooth. I'm in contact with Oculus support, so maybe need to RMA. 

Once again, thanks for your help everyone. Still torn between thinking the performance is poor and not really knowing. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Using an Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571, New CV1 Rift
i7 7700HQ
1060 6GB Laptop
16GB RAM
256HD SSD with 140 GB Free

I'm using a 3 sensor setup, and I don't get any issues with 'poor tracking errors' or anything like that, always green checkmarks. I literally never have a tracking issue with this, never had a floating hand or anything like that. I have the headset and a sensor on a 3.0 hub with power. Then I have another sensor plugged into the USB C with an adapter. On the other side of the laptop, I have the final (rear) sensor plugged into the USB 2.0. That being said, the hands and hmd are often choppy. I've essentially narrowed this down to performance related, but I can't see why.

It seems like ASW causes a lot of stutter, but whenever I turn it off, it still doesn't have smooth framerate. I notice small micro stuttering every few seconds as well. I'm running Throttlestop, which I have to due to the temps on this thing, and it keeps my temps less than 80, and I average ~75 on CPU and ~55-60 on GPU. Therefore, I shouldn't be getting throttling. I also have a cooling pad in the other 2.0.

I've tried removing sensors, no different, just worst tracking. I do notice that I don't see 100% usage across the board when gaming, not even close, of the cpu or gpu. It does spike to 90+ at times, mostly the gpu. So I feel like I should have headroom, but when using OTT to track it my headroom is in the shitter. Gets even weirder.

So, In echo VR on low settings it looks aweful. Performance headroom goes up some, but still goes into the negatives when moving, but looks horrible. Choppy, blocky, low res. I up it to 1.3 PD and all graphics features on and high, it looks better. It's smoother, with ASW off. It still stutters, but it's just really weird. I get 90 fps in every game when standing still and moving my hands around, but as soon as I move or look around it seems to drop tremendously. Anyway I'm ranting now, I don't know what to do. It's not unplayable, but it lags every 3-5 seconds and is immersion breaking. Can any of you mad lads help me?

12 REPLIES 12

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe try disabling ThrottleStop and any other unnecessary processes you have running in the background.  I have the same cpu/gpu laptop and it does not need ThrotleStop (or OTT).  Maybe make sure you do not have a lot of dust build-up.  You do not have the strongest gaming PC so try to avoid using any supersampling (OTT and/or SteamVR).  Just use game settings.

Also, go to win10 settings/gaming/game mode and turn Game Mode off.  This can also sometimes help.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't require OTT, but it has 0 affect on performance, i've tested it. I cannot disable Throttlestop as it pushes temps well into the 90s. Not to mention I've tested it. To be honest I can run games like ds3 on max with no issue, I realize the rift is more powerful, but this is terrible performance in my opinion. It's a possible bad paste job, but that really doesn't explain the good performance in other games. This literally looks like screen tearing.

I should have listed the things I've done already, I wouldn't be coming here if I hadn't tried the basics, so here it is:
- Full windows 10 optimization (Hotel Hero Video), including TaskScheduler, Services, Gaming Settings, Cortana, etc.
- No overclock
- No Undervolt
- Undervolt, no overclock
- Overclocking via Predator Sense
- Overclocking via MSI Afterburner (MaxQ profile, and another overclock/undervolt profile)
- Uninstalling MSI Afterburner
- Turning off all monitoring/turning monitoring to 60000 sample
- Setting Nvidia settings to choose my GPU over iGPU, PhysX as well
- Setting Nvidia power to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'
- Turning off ASW, Turning it on Auto, Turning it on 45 steady
- Tried Oculus Homeless
- Special settings via OTT and ODT
- Reinstallation of Nvidia drivers
- Older Nvidia drivers
- Made sure all drivers are up to date
- updated BIOS
- Resinstalled windows
- Reinstalled Oculus
- Resintalled individual games
- Checked HDMI connection to HMD (Twice)
- Unplugging all but one sensor, unplugging all but two sensors
- Switching up the position of the sensors
- Bitsum Performance Power Plan
- Balanced and High Power Plans
- ParkControl, with and without
- Starting games from steam
- starting games from oculus
- buying games directly on oculus store
- running games from computer first
- running games from oculus store first
- running everything known to man as Admin
- Pulling my hair out
- Drinking

To be honest, I always thought this laptop had an issue with heat or something, because I've had to use throttlestop from day one. It works otherwise, but gets really hot. My temps were normalized and good, but since I've reinstalled windows it runs way hotter even on the same settings. Just played rec room with my buddies on PSVR for about 2 hours and it was a nightmare, constant juttery/screen tearing everywhere I look. They said it was fine for them, on a Playstation... I've been dreading it needed a paste job because I don't feel like doing it, but I think it might be the case. Just doesn't seem to be a heat issue to me idk.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Only other thing I can think of to try, and maybe you already have, is to try using an external gaming monitor and use win10 display settings to only project to it.  This may help bypass your integrated gpu and improve your performance, maybe even temps.  You just need to make sure where/how to connect the monitor.  I connect mine to my mini-DisplayPort to monitor DisplayPort (asus vg248qe).

Also, you have tried disabling Win10 Game Mode?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
I have a MSI B450 board and a Ryzen 7 1700X, 32 gigs of memory and a MSI 1070 TI and I had stutters and something that I called double vision when I moved the headset in any directions (a bit like they show on TV when you're drunk) it had nothing to do with the performance of my system (also have 3 sensors) it all went away when I decided to drop Steam all together and all the programs used to make it work on Oculus. I lost a few games but I'd rather that than not be able to play anything. Not saying "IT" is the solution for all but it worked for me
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
TomC - I haven't tried the external gaming monitor, but I was under the assumption that was already the case with the rift. Yes, I've disabled all of the Win10 gaming functions.

kobs57 I'm not using steam. I've already tried that, I don't even have it installed right now. These are all native oculus games.

I just did a test and straight up tanked Echo VR graphics. Not running Throttlestop or anything, temps were actually ok for once, max fans, max of 87. Little more hot for my liking, but only it seems like games like SWBF2 push this thing harder. CPU usage through the roof though. Whatever it is, it's manifesting in absolute terrible performance. So after tanking the graphics. turning PD all the way down, I think it's .5 in Echo VR. Every effect off, graphics to low. It looks horrible, should be smooth. Nope screen tearing, stuttering, and I had the performance monitor running from ODT, wasn't running OTT, and it was bouncing between ~15-45 fps while flying around the lobby. Id get the occasional bump to 60,70, or even 90 when totally still but as soon as anything on the screen moves it drops. I played a round of Arena, and the fps was ~30 average. Yes thats right. It bounced between 15-45 and almost never went above that, on the lowest possible graphics settings. ASW with this configuration seemed to help, and I see a definite benefit of the undervolt, but I just feel like something is wrong. There's no way you would be able to play this game on lower end cards if the performance is this bad here. My headroom was steady negative except for when everything was perfectly still on the screen and I'm talking -300% to -600% when I was looking at it. It's still playable, it's just so choppy it's not really enjoyable. Like I said by oc/uv and parkcontrol and all that stuff does improve it, but it still plays like crap even then on low settings. I never average 90. So if you have the same setup and your doing better, something is up. Keep in mind this is with all the windows settings still off, still full win10 optimization. It's still under warranty, I've created a ticket to send it in. I'll have to do the same with my rift if they send it back and say no issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just came across a situation which added bad stutter. I had previously changed Rift Audio to 44.1k and found no improvements for the odd freezes now and then. So accessed panel to change it but as it notified me it could stop the game I didn't apply settings. However, the game now had bad stutters. I had to make the change I wanted back to 48k with the game closed and start it again. Why accessing a Windows Panel bothers performance so much is the sign of a really shit Operating System (wow! are we surprized?)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
King, maybe a longshot but this could be caused by the latest (~1 March 2019) Win10 cumulative update kb4482887.

Have a look at this thread I started yesterday;
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/73963/problem-with-latest-windows-10-2019-02-cumula...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I checked it out. These issues were happening prior to the update, in fact I tried to do the update to fix it. I'm pretty sure there is an issue with my PC now. A few days ago I did a reset, everything went fine, except I had a hell of a time getting my discrete GPU recognized (Error 43 in Device Manager). Had to install/uninstall a bunch of different drivers before it finally worked.

I decided to do a clean install last night before I sent this in, as a last ditch effort basically. So I went to do it through Reset This PC, it failed. Tried a regular Fresh Start, failed, Tried the non clean install portion of Reset This PC, failed. Tried boot recovery options, failed. I ran Chkdsk and received no issues, I even used Acer Care Center to check it as well just to make sure. Everything else failed, so I made a USB recovery drive and tried to Recover, it failed at 100%. Now my SSD is not showing in BIOS, and I get 'No Bootable Device' booting and repairing from the USB.

Long story short, this thing is going to Acer for Repair lol. Thanks for all the help TomC!

falken76
Expert Consultant
Sounds like the SSD is dying on you.  Is doing a low level format still a thing these days?  Can a fresh install be done that is NOT a recovery attempt?  I.E.  Can you format the hard drive so it's empty and do a fresh install directly from the Windows 10 CD?