Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get yourself a Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS. They're as cheap as chips and are great. Not that many buttons but I use the 8 and 10 buttons as shift buttons and don't have a problem.

Greyman
Superstar
+1 I also have a TM Warthog, but still prefer my HOTAS X.  I can put it in my lap and the twist grip is really useful, especially when avoiding being interdicted.  I know that I could use my rudder pedals, like I do in DCS, but this has always seemed more intuitive for ED.

RattyUK
Trustee
I've got to say, that despite using Touch controllers, Digi was flying much better last night than previously (but still forgetting 'brakes are your friend!')...

snowdog said:

Get yourself a Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS. They're as cheap as chips and are great. Not that many buttons but I use the 8 and 10 buttons as shift buttons and don't have a problem.

True!

It was good fun to jump onto my alt account (and a Krait MkII) from my main with its T10 lumbering toward the core, to have Digi winged up with his 'L' plates - thanks 🙂

As an aside, it was surprising to play alongside someone from  'over the pond' in a PG - it just worked!
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
Frontier has announced that the next major update for Elite will be late 2020. It will be a paid update and is apparently larger than any they've done before. That would imply bigger than Horizons, which added planetary landing.
Of course the speculation is running wild. Atmosphere planet landings? Walk around on foot? Who knows.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

nrosko said:

I tried to play this yesterday thought i would finally give it a push & learn it but i found the mura really distracting, space had no depth. 

If your graphics card has spare overhead, set headset view to 1.3/1.4 in Options/Graphics  it helps a little, also drop shadows to med/low and AA to as low as you can tolerate, performance gains to be had there.
Does your system map lack depth too?  Usually a good indicator if everything is working as intended 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greyman said:

+1 I also have a TM Warthog, but still prefer my HOTAS X.  I can put it in my lap and the twist grip is really useful, especially when avoiding being interdicted.  I know that I could use my rudder pedals, like I do in DCS, but this has always seemed more intuitive for ED.

Yup, I do the same thing. Most people use the rudder control for that but I use the rudder thingy to thrust backwards and forwards. It just feels more intuitive. So I have the hat as thrusting up, down, left and right and the rudder to thrust backwards and forwards. Makes landing and moving around A LOT easier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Frontier has announced that the next major update for Elite will be late 2020. It will be a paid update and is apparently larger than any they've done before. That would imply bigger than Horizons, which added planetary landing.
Of course the speculation is running wild. Atmosphere planet landings? Walk around on foot? Who knows.

I'm not too bothered about Space Legs but landing on planets with an atmosphere is what I'm REALLY looking forward to, I just hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

There's always the chance of getting intergalactic travel too at some point in the future, if you look at the Galaxy Map there are two more galaxies there that we can't travel to yet. This is where I reckon those pesky Thargoids are from. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we reverse engineer some of the technology that the Thargoids use, including hyperdicting and intergalactic travel (assuming that the Thargoids aren't from the Milky Way of course).

Digikid1
Consultant

snowdog said:

kojack said:

I'm not too bothered about Space Legs but landing on planets with an atmosphere is what I'm REALLY looking forward to, I just hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

There's always the chance of getting intergalactic travel too at some point in the future, if you look at the Galaxy Map there are two more galaxies there that we can't travel to yet. This is where I reckon those pesky Thargoids are from. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we reverse engineer some of the technology that the Thargoids use, including hyperdicting and intergalactic travel (assuming that the Thargoids aren't from the Milky Way of course).

Oh great.....me landing with GRAVITY. That should be hilarious. LOL

RattyUK
Trustee
I know it's a big ship...   but still no SRV on board - scanning Amphora plants the hard way :disappointed: pdca5vq8z3h3.png
Hovering a few metres above ground to scan...
8my1fs04iahe.png

Tonight's tubers - I really miss my SRV...  If I'd been certain to pick up a refinery at Explorers Anchorage I could have packed one!

Digikid1
Consultant
hmm.... is there another cheap split hotas?  The Thrustmaster X looks good but not sure about an all in one unit. 

Also what are L plates?