cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with latest Windows 10 2019-02 Cumulative Update KB4482887

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I noticed a problem earlier today with Oculus Home.  When I activated either touch controller I get a lot of controller and headset stuttering.  I did the usual things like checked my usb ports, rebound controllers, and redid sensor setup.  I also opted out of the PTC (1.36) and then did a repair back to the current public release 1.35.  None of these (including reinstalling drivers) helped.

I then remembered I had done a Win10 update late yesterday and had not used my Rift since before noticing this stuttering problem.  So I went to my win10 settings/update and security/view latest updates/uninstall updates and uninstalled KB4482887.  After this (and a mandatory restart to finish the process) all is back to normal = very good.

I'm not sure that everyone will have a problem with this Win10 update but I thought I would pass this on to others that may have just noticed a similar issue.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
39 REPLIES 39

Ar7ific1al
Explorer

also having trouble with this windows update. Uninstalling like in the first post fixed this for me. One thing i noticed though: i installed oculus tray tool to check for performance. The hud reported 70% headroom for performance. Then i picked up both controllers and it immediately went down to -150%. lag started immediately also. Putting down the controllers reverse it, and performance goes back up to full speed.

I noticed this as well. I don't have the Oculus tray tool, but I did notice the tracking was nearly flawless with just one controller in view of the sensors. As soon as a second controller is in view, they start floating and tracking became spotty. I've seen others reporting this, as well.
I really do hope Oculus devs are able to fix this. If everyone has to rely on Microsoft to fix this, it could be a long time before it gets done.

IlIfadeIlI
Protege
This seems to be a short term solution.  Will there be a long term solution or will we not be able to install any new Windows Updates without sacrificing the normal use of touch controllers?

HamletXV
Explorer

YoLolo69 said:

Mmmm, interesting. did you check the usual suspect like the (in)famous GameMode and GameBar of Windows 10 in settings? I found previous Win10 update turned it ON again sometimes and I had to turn it OFF to retrieve a fluent experience.

This was the culprit. I tried this because I don't like to roll back updates unless it's recommended by windows, nvidia etc. I was noticing it on doom 3 bfg fully possesed or just by activating both touch controllers on oculus home, followed YoLolo69's advice and bam! problem solved for now and for future updates with game mode/bar reactivations. "The more you know ::smiley: "

IlIfadeIlI
Protege

HamletXV said:

YoLolo69 said:

Mmmm, interesting. did you check the usual suspect like the (in)famous GameMode and GameBar of Windows 10 in settings? I found previous Win10 update turned it ON again sometimes and I had to turn it OFF to retrieve a fluent experience.

This was the culprit. I tried this because I don't like to roll back updates unless it's recommended by windows, nvidia etc. I was noticing it on doom 3 bfg fully possesed or just by activating both touch controllers on oculus home, followed YoLolo69's advice and bam! problem solved for now and for future updates with game mode/bar reactivations. "The more you know ::smiley: "

This is a separate issue as it was happening to me and others with game bar and mode disabled.  As evidenced in this thread it doesn't seem to be effecting all systems. 

RukaziSintakumo
Honored Guest
I have the exact same issue. My touch controllers are all wobbly and suddenly decide to float away from me. 
When I use only one touch controller, everything is fine but with 2 the controls go haywire. I checked my Windows Update and I have indeed this update installed. I just send my diag files to the support, hopefully they will be able to figure out what causes this. I have friends coming over at the end of the month so I would love to show VR to them. 🙂

Satorius
Explorer
I can  also confirm.  I removed the windows update and everything is working fine now.

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege
I can't roll back my update either. The issue is tied to having 2 monitors connected. I have a 144Hz and a 60Hz Monitor. I Shutdown the PC and unplugged the 144Hz Monitor and rebooted. Put on my Rift and BINGO!.... 2 hand Tracking is restored tor normal and everything is fine. I hope there is a fix for this soon as I don't want to have to unplug a monitor every time I want to game in VR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Swifty, you should be able to uninstall this win10 cumulative update via win10 settings/update and security/view updates/uninstall.  Just read though this thread to find out more details.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

Swifty, you should be able to uninstall this win10 cumulative update via win10 settings/update and security/view updates/uninstall.  Just read though this thread to find out more details.

Yeah I don't see the bad update in question listed for me. I am on Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.18342.8 (19h1_release). Not sure if that is the reason.  I do have it working though as when im in VR I don't really need 2 Monitors! lol Just a pain to have to plug it back in.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ok, gotcha Swifty.  You are one brave soul to be a win10 Insider.  Probably on the Rift PTC as well, lol!

Sorry but I’m not sure about the dual monitors issues since I only use a single DP monitor.