cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with latest Windows 10 2019-02 Cumulative Update KB4482887

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I noticed a problem earlier today with Oculus Home.  When I activated either touch controller I get a lot of controller and headset stuttering.  I did the usual things like checked my usb ports, rebound controllers, and redid sensor setup.  I also opted out of the PTC (1.36) and then did a repair back to the current public release 1.35.  None of these (including reinstalling drivers) helped.

I then remembered I had done a Win10 update late yesterday and had not used my Rift since before noticing this stuttering problem.  So I went to my win10 settings/update and security/view latest updates/uninstall updates and uninstalled KB4482887.  After this (and a mandatory restart to finish the process) all is back to normal = very good.

I'm not sure that everyone will have a problem with this Win10 update but I thought I would pass this on to others that may have just noticed a similar issue.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
39 REPLIES 39

Alextended
Expert Protege
Microsoft's page for the update now says this at the bottom:

After installing KB4482887, users may notice graphics and mouse performance degradation with desktop gaming when playing certain games (eg: Destiny 2). Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
As a short-term resolution, users can uninstall KB4482887 to regain performance.

Hopefully it's related to our troubles and they're aware it's more than a few specific games so that they fix it properly. I already had it reinstall once, after uninstalling it again I changed my settings to having a metered connection which suspends auto updates so that it won't do it again until I know it's been resolved and I click to update manually.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Sound to be what some experienced, yes. I feel lucky as KB4482887 didn't land yet on my system (I never force the update process).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

HamletXV
Explorer

HamletXV said:

YoLolo69 said:

Mmmm, interesting. did you check the usual suspect like the (in)famous GameMode and GameBar of Windows 10 in settings? I found previous Win10 update turned it ON again sometimes and I had to turn it OFF to retrieve a fluent experience.

This was the culprit. I tried this because I don't like to roll back updates unless it's recommended by windows, nvidia etc. I was noticing it on doom 3 bfg fully possesed or just by activating both touch controllers on oculus home, followed YoLolo69's advice and bam! problem solved for now and for future updates with game mode/bar reactivations. "The more you know ::smiley: "

This is a separate issue as it was happening to me and others with game bar and mode disabled.  As evidenced in this thread it doesn't seem to be effecting all systems. 

Sadly, you are right, the problem persisted untill I uninstalled

Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone who is
having issues with their Rift after the Windows Update KB4482887,
please collect the Oculus diagnostics logs and create a support
ticket at https://support.oculus.com
to help us investigate this issue. Instructions on gathering logs are available here https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/. Thanks! -Rick

If we already solve the problem by removing the windows 10 update, then do you still want logs of computers that were affected. I don't know if even though I've solved the issue, logs might contain information like system hardware which could be included to help diagnostics.

Dryair
Honored Guest
I solved the problem by unplugging two of my three monitors, so that only one display and the Rift are connected. Then reboot and everything works just fine without uninstalling the update. I'm okay with that until a fix will be released. 

fgeorg
Explorer

Dryair said:

I solved the problem by unplugging two of my three monitors, so that only one display and the Rift are connected. Then reboot and everything works just fine without uninstalling the update. I'm okay with that until a fix will be released. 

Unplugging my second monitor fixed it for me as well. I didn't even need to reboot. Good find!

Alextended
Expert Protege
So there's been another cumulative Windows 10 update. Is it available on the same annual channel for everyone and does it fix everything the last one broke for people or should we hold off updating still?

Edit: oh, wait I might have misread and it's just the monthly security updates they released. Sorry, my bad. I guess?
Microsoft has released its monthly set of Windows security updates which you can view here and obtain via Windows Update. This includes the latest Windows 7 Rollup and Windows 8.1 Rollup updates, as well as Windows 10 Cumulative Updates

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Actually, todays win10 update KB4489899 seems to have fixed the performance issues caused by KB4482887

It's a Win10 update Miracle, lol!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489899

Edit; I don't use multiple monitors so I don't know if this update has any effect on using them.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Alextended
Expert Protege
Cool, thanks. Clicked to update and it has KB4489899 in the list so it's out for everyone then (I've switched from targeted to regular). I hope that's all fixed, I'll let you guys know soon when it's done if the problems actually return for me.

Alextended
Expert Protege
Yep, it's fixed folks 🙂