cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

jkendt1989
Explorer
I bought my first VR headset last weekend and I'm having this weird side effect. 

When I look at my hands, I feel like they're not really my hands, like they're the Rift hands. Even when looking at my monitor I get the exact feeling like I'm looking my monitor in Big Screen. Like it's in VR and it's in 3d almost. 

The weirdest disconnect is with my hands. Even typing this I feel like my arms aren't there and it's just my hands moving. 

I love my VR and I am def keeping it. Just a very trippy feeling right now. 

I'm 100% not BS'ing. It's a very strange experience right now. 
61 REPLIES 61

Alextended
Expert Protege
My funniest moment came one time I was casually testing out stuff in Contractors. I unexpectedly threw a grenade all wrong and it landed on my feet, I PANICKED (not for my life, just in-game) and instinctively ran away physically instead of using the analog stick, bumping into my desk and monitor in the process. Not too hard, but still, that was awkward, I'm glad I was alone.

I haven't had the opposite effect where real life feels like VR even in the first weeks of getting it. That would have been funny.

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege
“Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the *$*%#$ sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.” 
― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

FrostyBud777
Protege
After playing for hours in vr, I would stare at my hands and feel like they were my vr hands lol. Picking up objects in real life was surreal. lol. Just throwing things was fun in real life then. lol 

YoLolo69
Trustee
I'm thinking about a new concept of in-between IRL-VR, we could call that a "VR decompression chamber" or, wait, what about "Mixed reality"? Mmmmm, should tradmark this one...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Go4Sht
Honored Guest
I'm actually feeling that right now.

I received my Rift about a week ago and the first weekend of use just occurred. At first I spent about 5-10mins 3 times a day under the hood as I am prone to motion sickness and by Sunday I spent about 30-1hr three times under the hood and have seriously felt some vertigo going on 24hrs later.

It impacts my hands mostly and sometimes when my head is tilted a bit I feel like the world has to 'snap' into place (like tracking was temporarily lost). It is very disconcerting feeling for sure. I am not personally a fan of this feeling and hope it eventually goes away.

This is surprisingly making work a bit more difficult.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i think this is vr sickness. solved by ginger and holding the rift with one hand still so its not resting on the face entirely but some weight is going to the hand. i think the weight of the rift on the face is causing this feeling of being in vr when your not. looking at how i relate to this feeling and how i solve it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I`ve only just recently got the VIVE VR and after a few days sessions I caught myself (in real life) staring at something on the ground intensely like I would when I`m in VR. It was just a pattern on the carpet. I`ve never done that before. Kinda creepy.

A new VR medical problem might one day turn up, especially if VR gets better with better resolution. It might be called something like "Detaching from reality psychosis."

fredrick8763
Honored Guest
if you are experiencing this, that's a aside effect of using VR, you have to quit using it for couple of months and take a deep therapy to calm your eyes, maybe they are not suitable for you. 

Deviante
Honored Guest
I have had this same feeling after my first couple days with the rift s.  When I am not using it, there is this strange disconnect in my peripheral vision.
Would be nice to know for sure that its not actually affecting my vision though.
For now im just blaming it on the weed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got the rift a few days ago and have been playing Elite Dangerous for a couple of hours here and there... I am definitely feeling the "phasing" in real life where 2d screens start to pop out and become 3d, grainy textures every where, and looking distance objects is much more pronounced and detailed ( I can actually judge distance far better now as if my vision improved!). Physically if I sit still for a bit with my hands resting in front of me I start to feel nothing below my neck, as if my body didn't belong to me. 
I had some pretty interesting dreams and when I woke up in the middle of the night the VR sense was definitely kicking in and when I picked up my phone in the dark it felt like I was doing it in VR and screen was even 3d and grainy like a video game . When I woke up this morning I crawled to my dresser, and I felt like I woke up in VR, everything was really weird.
I could kind of relate it to a mushroom trip (if you ever had the pleasure of visiting Amsterdam :wink:). 

I'm really loving this feeling right now as it doesn't interfere with anything in real life other than being a weird sensation, and I'm kind of hoping it lasts a while.