cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

DocHoliday69
Honored Guest
Mine is 3 days used and started doing it today, bought it December 20th 2018. Just finished my new PC so I could use rift. Unbelievable that this hasn't been addressed, with a fix yet. If the screw doesn't fix it I'll use my beats ear buds, no way am I going to rma it and get a refurbished replacement. I've been so dam careful handling it that I can't understand it doing this.  This is a recall problem!!

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

If the screw doesn't fix it I'll use my beats ear buds, no way am I going to rma it and get a refurbished replacement. I've been so dam careful handling it that I can't understand it doing this.  This is a recall problem!!

Don't settle for that. If your headset is that new you could very easily request a new replacement and not an RMA. If the ribbon cable is the issue just get it replaced and tape up the right side. The rear triangle tracking LEDs will likely  fail eventually as well if the ribbon cable has started to fracture.

A headset that new though it is hopefully just a loose connection which you can fix with the screw.

My rift started doing this, this evening, I have readjusted the head band and it is working now, but I think it is only a matter of positioning it on my head, when it will fail again, I got the rift over the summer, would it still be covered?

It should be covered for a year (in USA) and 2 years (in EU or Australia). Talk to support as soon as possible and also read up on your local consumer protection laws. Too many people are are unaware of their consumer rights and all manufacturers know it.
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

Starkadius
Protege
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-vows-create-audio-repair-kit-rifts-warranty/

This is how serious this issue is. Confirming that it is not a user caused issue but a defect in the Rift itself.

Starkadius
Protege
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-giving-away-free-audio-repair-kits-warranty-rifts/

"For users with full audio failure, the kit allows you to directly tie-in external audio sources, presumably plugging into what appears to be the RR1’s integrated 3.5mm audio jack."

"...
out-of-warranty Rift users can send a copy of their Oculus Support ticket and their mailing address to RiftRepairOne@gmail.com for their very own RR1 repair kit and setup instructions.

Luckey explains he’s releasing the free kit not only out of a duty to maintain the product he undersigned, but to keep the ecosystem healthy for the sort of powerusers that would run into the problem in the first place"

Shelim23
Honored Guest

cbarish said:

I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.

Loosening the screw just a little seems to work as well as adjusting the strap but when the screw is tightened completely there is no sound coming out. This got it to work.  Poorly designed for regular use smh. Headphone jack does sound better now.

Actually now the telephone wire from the lower Connection on Both earphones is the only solution other than replacing it. Add black electrical tape to hold it to the head strap. And fixed.

jonasway
Honored Guest
hello people, unfortunately I have the same problem, I am from a distant country, and obviously they do not send me a new unit to my country. The truth is that I am very upset with this issue, so I read in the forums several years ago that there is this problem in the VR of oculus. I can not believe that they continue to sell new units with this problem and that they do not warn users in other countries. You are buying a product that in a few months has a safe defect. I would like that all users give advertising, because I think it is the only way the company may solve this problem and that people have the correct information before choosing this product.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
I love how there are all of these issues, yet amazingly any time a legitimate issue such as this defect (and yes, it is most definitely a defect due to poor build quality) is brought up, there is an army of internet warriors quick to flood the thread with a bunch of useless posts.  They always come in 3 waves.  First wave of the offensive is to completely deny the issue and treat the person reporting the issue like they are the only one ever on the face of the earth to have problems with the Rift.  Second wave of the offensive is to downplay the issue with a simple and effective workaround, delivered in a way that it is not really a big deal.  Final offensive is to go on the attack and discredit the OP by any means necessary.  It's one of the most aggressive PR blitzes I have ever seen deployed and is sickening.

Be a honest, responsible and reputable company.  Own up to your shortcomings.  Yes, we have a lower retail price but that will only meet the most basic of setups in ideal conditions.  "Optimal" play space, as defined by our own Guardian software can only be obtained by purchasing additional hardware that may significantly raise your costs so budget accordingly.  Yes we have hardware defects such as loss of audio, if you happen to experience this, please contact us ASAP for an RMA.  Yes we realize everyone's setup is unique, make a thread, submit a support ticket and we will summarize the root cause and the resolution for you by email and also post it in the thread you opened so the knowledge is passed on.

There is 1 of 2 ways that Oculus ended up in this position.  The devs outlined all of the issues and wanted to do exactly what I said above and the PR machine took over and we are in the position we are now or 2 the devs didn't fully fulfill the testing and basically said it's good enough for us, we'll deal with the issues as they come and left the rest of the business scrambling once the issues started pouring in.

Seeing as the issues stretch across all sides (integrity in advertising, build quality issues and buggy software) I would put my money on the first scenario that the business was warned and knew full well about all of these issues and proceeded anyways, screwing end users and their own devs in the process as well as ruining their reputation and is likely the real reason behind Brendan Iribe leaving the company.

d4rk122
Honored Guest

Enmark said:

Sound disappeared on right earphone yesterday. noticed the screw was turned vertical. fastened it to it stopped moving and now  the sound is back!...  🙂

I just tried this and it worked! Thank you so much! I only signed in for this message xD.But I was about to cry if I need to send this out or having to buy a new one.

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

d4rk122 said:

I just tried this and it worked! Thank you so much! I only signed in for this message xD.But I was about to cry if I need to send this out or having to buy a new one.

You should think about the full or partial tape technique if you want some added protection to that dastardly ribbon cable.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/618717/#Comment_618717
CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

OlivierMDVY
Honored Guest
Hello, today unfortunately I'm a new member of your club: my right side headphone stop functionning.
Sometimes the left side too 😞
If I move the strap the sound can come back but not very often.

So if I'm right I have to RMA my headset?