cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  😄

https://youtu.be/Yz_QVEzVmfk

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

118 REPLIES 118

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some more reviews - for those thinking I smoked too much pipe in-game before writing my impressions 😄

14g7te7xskgq.jpg
5anj5hj42d84.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Purchased and downloaded. I'm supposed to head to the pub tonight... but that idea may be fuxx0red due to today's release.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Just tried this out after purchasing with my in-store credit (yes, I waited all this time...LOL). While I've only tried it out for about 1/2 hr, I have to say the VR controlling is very well done. My first impressions.

- VR controls are excellent
- Graphics are very well done.
- Voice control for speaking to in game NPC's is a nice option and works well.
- The bit of sword play when first attacking the 'spoiler' is well done
- voice acting is good
- interaction is top notch
- NPC's are excellent (note that NPC size is more real to life size IMO)
- love the real drinking, very nice touch

Comparing to heavily modded Skyrim (200+ modds with no aliasing, 90fps) visually:

- the visual mods I'm using in Skyrim VR (over 70 for just surroundings) are still best. I use a lot of 4k + 2k texture mixtures which is incredible to see in VR if system can take it and run at 90fps, so I'm very spoiled in this aspect...LOL!!
- All NPC's in Skyrim VR (my system) are heavily modded with either 2k or 4k body, skin textures plus properly animated skeleton mods make movement much better than vanilla (Skyrim) so again very spoiled here.
- water in Skyrim VR (my mods) is very realistic, though I haven't yet seen water in SL yet.

Total comparison between the two games:

Shadow Legend wins hands down on VR controlling + interaction but while it's graphics are very top notch, a heavily modded Skyrim VR still wins hands down visually if modded to the teeth and beyond. Also, some of the new interaction features of Shadow are now available as mods for Skyrim VR so interaction is getting very well done lately.

So, Shadow Legend is a total win for VR (for those who don't want to mod the snot out of a game to get next gen visuals). Let's hope the Devs will continue to add to the world of Shadow Legend...though they have a long way to go to compete with Skyrim in that vain.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Currently Shadow Legend has an average rating of 94% based on 26 ratings, seems like most people love the game. I did read that few experienced some crashes, personally I did not experience any technical problems with the game.

With the performance I'm getting, I'd be surprised if this game didn't perform great (90 fps) even using a GTX 970 ss 1.0.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Absolutely loving this VR experience. I will be writing a full review when I complete it, but for now I'll add to the "compare to Skyrim" dialogue.

Things this does better than Skyrim:
  • This doesn't feel like a Port. It feels like a made-for-VR RPG.
  • The melee combat is not only superior to Skyrim, but one of the best sword fighting experiences I've encountered to-date. The sword fighting system is top notch.
  • You can actually craft! In Skyrim VR, the player is in 3rd person view during all crafting. In Shadow Legend, you have to manually heat coal's and then press them to make an iron ingot. There are other fun crafting experiences as well.
  • True hand interactions. I can grab weapons and other trinkets with my hands. No more spamming an action button to have things magically blink in to my grip.
  • NPC interaction. I LOVE using the Voice Commands. For the first time in my life... I'm talking to NPC's and their talking back. RPG geekdom is fully activated.

There are slight bugs that involve "collisions" but nothing serious an easily avoidable.

If anyone encounters a long loading screen with the hour glass... just hit Alt+Tab on your keyboard and it gets things moving along.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmm, should I really update my Win 10 to 1803... I guess there's some truth to the saying:

Image result for if it works dont fix it

But voice recognition doesn't work - so it doesn't work - maybe I really need to fix it...  :#  😄

My amount of First World problems is staggering... 

bridak
Honored Guest
Are there any spiders or spider-like creatures in the game? I'm mostly ok with them in flat-screen games but in VR that's a hard pass 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Oh nice 1, can't wait to play this after reading your reviews. Thanks for the feedback everyone! 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

A_Force
Expert Protege

RuneSR2 said:

super sampling 2.0.
Do you set this up using the oculus tray tool or in game? Or would you say it doesn't matter?
Any other tips and tricks you've learned so far?

Just about to boot up the game for the first time. My rig is quite similar to yours.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

A.Force said:

RuneSR2 said:

super sampling 2.0.
Do you set this up using the oculus tray tool or in game? Or would you say it doesn't matter?
Any other tips and tricks you've learned so far?

Just about to boot up the game for the first time. My rig is quite similar to yours.

I use Oculus Tray Tool - and didn't touch any video setting in-game. Well, the only video setting in-game is actually a setting for super sampling, so you don't have many options for the graphics (texture quality, shadows etc. are all fixed and cannot be changed). In short, you more or less just have to set up the controls. 
Somehow I did get the wrong sword in my weapon belt, didn't notice at first but did think that some skeletons were annoyingly hard to kill 😄 - so check that you have the correct weapons at hand - or find them in your inventory. And check the settings menu (left Touch flat button) to make sure you've gotten all the Runes and completed all sub-quests before moving to new locations - that's basically it I think 😉 
Btw, I did experience a few crashes this evening, so you may want to save the game frequently.