the thing i hate the most about my rift — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

the thing i hate the most about my rift

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 394
Nexus 6
edited March 9 in General
first the straps were too tight, i modded those look in my threads, then the foam was sticking to my face so i got the cover that fixed it, then the screen was blurry so i got prescription lenses, now the thing hangs on my face and because of the weight the lenses don't show the sweet spot!

i have to physically hold the rift up with one hand, in place, to see out of the sweet spot.

the thing i hate most about my rift is the weight. now we see the pimax headsets look twice as heavy as the rift, and the rift 2 looking to have larger lenses. the weight actually makes me nauseous, when i hold the rift up with my hand the nausea goes away or doesnt even appear.

ya, please fix this with the rift s or rift 2 or the next oculus headset, cause its ridiculous. thanks for listening to me gripe, otherwise its wonderful, thanks oculus and facebook!

some1 sell a accessory that holds the rift up so i dont have to hold it up with my hand.

Comments

• nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    Well i didn't think the weight was too bad but they could come up with a better design to help it sit on you head better.  
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,032 Valuable Player
    I honestly have found mine to be extremely comfortable, after a few adjustments to my head of course.
    I game in it almost daily for many hours a week and really have no comfort issue with it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • rjwalterrjwalter Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    For me it would be resolution and God rays.  Everything else I can happily accept for the time being.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 755
    3Jane
    rjwalter said:
    For me it would be resolution and God rays.  Everything else I can happily accept for the time being.
    This, oh and how my face sweats inside is a huge problem for me. It's great otherwise.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 394
    Nexus 6
    jayhawk said:
    rjwalter said:
    This, oh and how my face sweats inside is a huge problem for me. It's great otherwise.
    sounds like vr sickness heat. i get that, just hold the rift still with one hand while wearing it and see if the heat dissipates if so it was vr sickness.
    3Jane
    jayhawk said:
    rjwalter said:
    sounds like vr sickness heat. i get that, just hold the rift still with one hand while wearing it and see if the heat dissipates if so it was vr sickness.
    "VR sickness heat"? You just made that up didn't you, lol. I get zero of the normal VR sickness symptoms. Are you saying the heat is a symptom of VR sickness, or is this a 'by itself' thing?
    Nexus 6
    no it can be a sign of vr sickness. i will google it for you;

look at number 7, mentions hot and sweaty being a sign of vr sickness;

https://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Avoid_VR_Motion_Sickness#7._STOP_PLAYING_IMMEDIATELY_IF_YOU_FEEL_SICK

try holding the headset still the next time you get hot and see if it fixes it for you.
    Nexus 6
    edited March 13

i have to physically hold the rift up with one hand, in place, to see out of the sweet spot.

some1 sell a accessory that holds the rift up so i dont have to hold it up with my hand.
    i made my own accessory, home made. i took a piece of plastic from a memory upgrade box, cup off a part i will show in the picture its the hollowed out part.

then i looked through my phone to find the infra red dots on the rift, put tape on the parts not a infra red dot and then taped the plastic piece to the rift.

then i took a stick from a shower loofah and the foam is removed leaving only the stick. i poke that stick into the bottom of the hollowed out plastic piece and the stick and plastic piece holds the rift up to take some weight off my face, which works perfectly, must easier than holding my hand up now my hand can rest on the sides of my chair.

heres the pictures;

i imagine if someone made this for the rift it would be held up using a sticky foam back for the hollowed out part on the rift, and have a better stick, maybe something that even rests on the shoulders somehow. but there you go, an idea for you for how to make the rift more comfortable.
    3Jane
    no it can be a sign of vr sickness. i will google it for you;

look at number 7, mentions hot and sweaty being a sign of vr sickness;

https://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Avoid_VR_Motion_Sickness#7._STOP_PLAYING_IMMEDIATELY_IF_YOU_FEEL_SICK

try holding the headset still the next time you get hot and see if it fixes it for you.
    I could see hot and sweaty being associated with other symptoms (you feel sick, you're going to sweat), but when it's all by itself it's not sickness.
  • AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 13
    So you "modded" the straps and then wonder why it doesn't sit right? For every member of my family, youngest to oldest, and some friends on top, it fits fine by default and the slight angling ability was enough to get the sweet spot for everyone. I had issues at first as it pressed on my face too much but that was before I realized you can adjust the angle after putting it on.
    Nexus 6
    edited March 13
    So you "modded" the straps and then wonder why it doesn't sit right? For every member of my family, youngest to oldest, and some friends on top, it fits fine by default and the slight angling ability was enough to get the sweet spot for everyone. I had issues at first as it pressed on my face too much but that was before I realized you can adjust the angle after putting it on.
    the strap was digging into my head. the reason being, my face cheek bones are asymmetrical, you people must have perfect face structure, are you all tall too? but i had to add duct tape and a nylon zip tie to each side of the strap in order to create enough space for my unsymmetrical face bones so that the strap wouldn't be too painful too wear. this was done with the additional logic to not make the strap so loose that the headset was too loose.

the problem now is the plastic i added in my previous post rips off the headset after a while, the tape comes loose. so i might have to use a crafting glue gun to hold the plastic on. i will try that now and see if it stays on after i use it for a while. if you do this with a glue gun remember it has strings of floating glue gun plastic that get released in the air when you use the glue gun, so wear a face mask when you use the glue gun.

• AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 13
    No I'm pretty ugly, far from perfect, not tall either.
    Nexus 6
    i finished my glue gun version, heres the pictures of the new home made hook to hold a stick to hold up my rift to release some weight on my face and so be more comfortable;

i will see how this holds up to some use.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,652
    3Jane
    edited March 13
    You even Gaffer-Taped the PC and your desk LOL!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,016
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:

He's gotta be a gaffer tape salesman.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Nexus 6
    well i tested it and it works fine, it didnt come loose.

in fact the whole rift seemed less, um whats the word, i didnt know i was wearing the rift so much when i lifted the weight by using the stick to hold up my rift, and it made the whole experience of watching videos in virtual desktop fisheye 60 fov much more immersive.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,735 Valuable Player
    edited March 13
    the strap was digging into my head. the reason being, my face cheek bones are asymmetrical, you people must have perfect face structure

Most people do have symmetrical face structure which is probably why you needed to do a mod in the first place.  I would look at the top strap.  I'm not sure if it'll work, but you could try it.  You can go to a crafting store and get some velcro on adhesive, cut it to match the girth of the strap on the top of the headset and put a piece on that will fully extend the existing velcro all the way to the end of the strip.  With that added piece of velcro on the very end of the strip there, it might give enough room to pull the facemask up just enough for you since this would allow you to pull it further back and stick to the new velcro.  I don't know if it'll work, but I hope it will.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,613 Valuable Player
    despite smirking cynically at people and events far too often, my face is still symmetrical
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,838 Valuable Player
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    That’s Duct Tape. Where do you get the name Gaffer from?
    Nexus 6
    well it came loose and fell off after about half an hour, but it was fun while it lasted it showed me a better way just out of reach. now to think of how to put something there that wont fall off.
    Nexus 6
    edited March 14
    i went and bought some magic tape and miniature cups.

i cup the rim off the top of one miniature cup and used that to hold the cup to the rift.

on the cup i put the magic tape, then on the lid both sides i put the magic tape, then i put the magic tape on the rift, then i put them all together bonded with crafting glue gun.

the magic leap instructions said to let it sit for a day before using it, so i will let the rift sit for a day before trying this new crating out, but for now heres the pictures of the craft i made to hold my rift up with a stick;

it feels very solid, not flimsy, and the rift works fine with it there. i will test it tomorrow to see if it holds on, but it should.
    Nexus 6
    edited March 14
    the craft i showed above, i tried it out and it fell off the rift too. after a bit of tinkering i got one that can't fall off. i'll show the pictures first then describe it below;

i used two miniature cups, poked two holes and tied them together using a nylon zip tie.

then i poked two more holes in the second cup, and used a nylon zip tie to tie the cup to the top strap.

it can't fall off and is rugged, i tried it out for a while. good design. i just poke the stick into the cup and it lifts the rift a bit off my face and its more comfortable.

now if i could find some way to not have to hold it with my hand and stick but instead rest it on my shoulders that would be the best solution.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,016
    Wintermute

i just poke the stick into the cup and it lifts the rift a bit off my face and its more comfortable.

now if i could find some way to not have to hold it with my hand and stick but instead rest it on my shoulders that would be the best solution.

I don't get it.
    Do you have a Touch Controller and a stick in one hand? Why can't you just push up on the underside of the Rift?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Actually I've used both the Rift and the Vive and the Vive headset is much heavier but it is well balanced.  I've used it during marathon sessions and never was uncomfortable. 

The issue with the Rift is that it uses the cheapest components and materials and even though you may spend hours getting it just right, it doesn't have sufficient support and quality to hold hold that position for any real length of time once you start playing a game--especially one with lots of movement.  The end result is that it requires constant adjustments or, as many have done here, personal hacks to improve the situation.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 592
    Neo
    Actually I've used both the Rift and the Vive and the Vive headset is much heavier but it is well balanced.  I've used it during marathon sessions and never was uncomfortable. 

The issue with the Rift is that it uses the cheapest components and materials and even though you may spend hours getting it just right, it doesn't have sufficient support and quality to hold hold that position for any real length of time once you start playing a game--especially one with lots of movement.  The end result is that it requires constant adjustments or, as many have done here, personal hacks to improve the situation.
    I have to comment that even after an hour or so of playing the likes of  Superhot or Arizona Sunshine that my HMD has never 'drifted' or needed adjustment and has stayed in place impeccably.  Just the luck of the draw, I guess :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Nexus 6
    Richooal said:

i just poke the stick into the cup and it lifts the rift a bit off my face and its more comfortable.

I don't get it.
    Do you have a Touch Controller and a stick in one hand? Why can't you just push up on the underside of the Rift?
    using some slightly uncomfortable because its too tight straps, the face part of the rift can sit snugly on my face, the thing is the rift bears too much weight on the bottom part of the rift on my face which is distracting and uncomfortable.

i cant just push the rift up it tilts its weight this way nothing i can do about it unless i want to wear even tighter more uncomfortable strap tightness.

something about my crafting that lifts weight that is much better than just tilting the rift on the face, no comparison to comfort.

i just watch videos in the virtual desktop so i just need the one hand for my mouse to pick videos or browse the web.
    if i was going to play games i would need a neck brace with a spot to put the stick in and the neck brace would hold the stick while i used two hands. for that i think i would need a motorcycle helmet instead of a stick to hold the rift off my face, and i don't know how to modify a motorcycle helmet, or say a construction helmet with a chin strap. might try that next i don't know, if i can get a hold of a helmet i might try building my rift on it.
    Nexus 6
    i had to put two more holes in the cup the stick pokes into to attach the cup to the other cup using a nylon zip tie. the plastic that attached the two cups before was flimsy and after a while it flipped the cup the stick pokes into up and made the craft useless. now its working good.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,978 Valuable Player
    i finished my glue gun version, heres the pictures of the new home made hook to hold a stick to hold up my rift to release some weight on my face and so be more comfortable;

i will see how this holds up to some use.

I'm against cruelty to animals, and now I'm starting to think that we need to expand the legislation to include some select products - watching the above truly makes my skin crawl  :#
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Richooal said:

I don't get it.
    using some slightly uncomfortable because its too tight straps, the face part of the rift can sit snugly on my face, the thing is the rift bears too much weight on the bottom part of the rift on my face which is distracting and uncomfortable.

i cant just push the rift up it tilts its weight this way nothing i can do about it unless i want to wear even tighter more uncomfortable strap tightness.

something about my crafting that lifts weight that is much better than just tilting the rift on the face, no comparison to comfort.

i just watch videos in the virtual desktop so i just need the one hand for my mouse to pick videos or browse the web.
    if i was going to play games i would need a neck brace with a spot to put the stick in and the neck brace would hold the stick while i used two hands. for that i think i would need a motorcycle helmet instead of a stick to hold the rift off my face, and i don't know how to modify a motorcycle helmet, or say a construction helmet with a chin strap. might try that next i don't know, if i can get a hold of a helmet i might try building my rift on it.
    Would it not have been easier to suspend the rift from above? Using the cable management kit. It could be used to relieve the weight from the headset by attaching it to the top strap or something. It's around 10 Quid/Dollars on amazon and is a far less modified approach. I feel that while your fix will work in the short term, it's gonna limit movement and ultimately, may give you posture problems. It also means your gonna have problems should you wish to sell it. I hope whatever you do means you can continue to enjoy it though.