New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 938
    3Jane
    edited March 6
    Greyman said:
    Do you do detailed scans of every un-mapped body, just the earth-like/water/ammonia planets or do you not bother with mapping?

If there is a station out there now, which i must have just missed, i might be tempted to take another long trip, but in my Phantom this time.

Greyman said:
    Oh, btw, i had a go at some seismic charge mining and you are right, the explosions are spectacular. 

I need to find a safer place to do it though, as i kept getting jumped by the local pirates and only avoided another spectacular explosion by a gnats gonads, as it were.   Maybe i need some combat practice more than mining.  :)
    I scan everything in the system, every new system at least, and will happily travel 200Kls or more to visit something of interest.  I'll map any 'valuable' body and generally at least one with Bio when I meet them.  I may map some Geo bodies if they tempt me...

Mining 101:  Arrive at ring - only carry limpets, no cargo.  Wait mandatory 60-90 seconds for pirate(s) to appear, scan you, complain about starving children etc then fly away.  If they remain on your radar fly away until you can no longer 'see' them.   Mine until full or other parameter is met, have supercruise target set, fly out of ring toward target - boosting away (keep boosting until no longer mass locked) then jump.  Expect to be interdicted by NPC pirates on the way home.  Get to sell your hard earned spoils :)

ETA: Mining at Res sites is guaranteed to get aggro, just dropping onto hot-spots or nearby can be very lucrative and only 1 pirate visit...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    Thanks for that.  I got to be an excellent miner over about 13 years in Eve Online, but have never really got round to it in ED, so that advice is well appreciated. 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    So I was landing at a hub today and sneezed and while doing do I must have pressed my right hand grip button....smashing my ship into at least three different spots before I got it under control again. 

Got fined 400cr. 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wintermute
    I sometimes have the ED window losing focus, usually when coming out of FSD and heading straight for a star.  It's a bit of a panic getting the headset off, alt tabbing or clicking on the ED window, getting the HMD back on and trying to avoid the star.  Suffice it to say, I don't always make it.  

The main culprit, for the loss of focus, is McAfee telling me that my subscription is due for renewal, in about 3 months time. 😖
    3Jane
    edited March 7
    Digikid1 said:
    So I was landing at a hub today and sneezed and while doing do I must have pressed my right hand grip button....smashing my ship into at least three different spots before I got it under control again. 

Got fined 400cr. 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    It'll be better once you get your HOTAS - the you can be far more creative when choreographing multiple collisions with the station....

Bloody criminals flying about in our stations - they should all be shot, I tell you, shot!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

RattyUK said:
    Digikid1 said:

Got fined 400cr. 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    It'll be better once you get your HOTAS - the you can be far more creative when choreographing multiple collisions with the station....

Bloody criminals flying about in our stations - they should all be shot, I tell you, shot!
    LOL

This happened INSIDE the station. 
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 538
    Neo
    Greyman said:

The main culprit, for the loss of focus, is McAfee telling me that my subscription is due for renewal, in about 3 months time. 😖

Good god, get rid of that crap!
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    RattyUK said:
    Digikid1 said:

Got fined 400cr. 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

I did mention the word in....

RattyUK said:
    Digikid1 said:
    RattyUK said:
    Digikid1 said:

Got fined 400cr. 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

I did mention the word in....
    You did. Sry. Lol
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    2 things.

Firstly I was travelling to my favourite system to mine Void Opals, Bugas, when I was hyperdicted by not one but TWO bloody great big Thargoid ships. I very nearly filled my trousers lmfao. I just kept saying hello to them and I COME IN PEACE!!! I COME IN PEACE!!! lmfao  :o :D :D :D

Now I hate these buggy bastards with a passion but I only had a couple of Beam Lasers and Abrasion Blasters on my Python lol

Thankfully they scanned me and buggered off!

Secondly, once I got to Bugas and did some mining I came back with 107t of Void Opals and 13t of Low Temperature Diamonds which I sold...

...AND THEN GOT ELITE STATUS FOR TRADING!!!

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

B) 

Going to get some big fuck off weapons next and work on my Combat Rank I think. I haven't killed any pirates for AGES!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    That’s where I was today and got pulled out and destroyed while on my way to Eradath/Cleve Hub. 

Bastards. 
    Wintermute
    After about an hour of driving around on the Laksak planet where the engineer lives, looking for and finding enough Nobium for my shield generator update, I think I've found just about the only app that gives me VR stomach.  That planet really does have some uneven terrain.

Maybe I need to slow down a little? 🤔
    3Jane
    Greyman said:
    After about an hour of driving around on the Laksak planet where the engineer lives, looking for and finding enough Nobium for my shield generator update, I think I've found just about the only app that gives me VR stomach.  That planet really does have some uneven terrain.

Maybe I need to slow down a little? 🤔
    There is a setting in options to keep the horizon from bouncing around in VR, it may help a little.

Digikid1 said:
    That’s where I was today and got pulled out and destroyed while on my way to Eradath/Cleve Hub. 

Bastards. 
    The gank squad is strong in that system, Luke...

Got my Thrustmaster X today. Sadly cannot play due to life and responsibilities. 

Screw you life and responsibilities!!!!!!   :D
    Wintermute
    i'll check that out thanks @RattyUK.  

As for life and responsibilities, i've just retired and it's great. 

However, life does tend to fill in the gaps, so i am starting to see what people mean when they say that they can't imagine how they previously found the time to go to work.

Another return trip to Sag A* and the new station should help  :)
    You should all be like me, I have no life to speak of and everyone knows I'm irresponsible.  :|
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

3Jane
    Greyman said:
    i'll check that out thanks @RattyUK.  

As for life and responsibilities, i've just retired and it's great. 

However, life does tend to fill in the gaps, so i am starting to see what people mean when they say that they can't imagine how they previously found the time to go to work.

Another return trip to Sag A* and the new station should help  :)
    I'm already at the new station, hauling bauxite in a T10...   Nearly at Tier 9 when I logged out earlier - over 1000 participants so far!

Enjoy your retirement :)

3Jane
    So the CG to build a shiny new station next to Sag A* - which completed Tier 11 was rewarded with this....

and no, my T10 didn't damage the bay....

RattyUK said:
    So the CG to build a shiny new station next to Sag A* - which completed Tier 11 was rewarded with this....

I don't understand....what were you rewarded with?
    3Jane
    edited March 9
    Digikid1 said:
    RattyUK said:

I don't understand....what were you rewarded with?
    A shabby, 'several previous careless owners', rusty station that looks like it was bought from a scrap dealer - the screenshot is the ship bay - in what is supposed to be a new, not finished yet, station!
    Just grumbling....
    Looks like any of the other extraction stations that have been around for years...
    T10 'James Bolivar DiGriz' on the landing pad.

Wintermute
    i've just spent a half hour or so learning how to mine and at the speed i'm going, towards that 500T target, i'll probably be 5 years older and an expert by the time i get there.  It looks like i'm only going to be pulling around 50T/Hour, so it probably is a good job i have some time on my hands.  :smile:

Maybe my efficiency will improve with practice???
    Just spent a few hours ( HS how time flies! ) in ED getting used to my HOTAS.  It is easier but I have to reassign some buttons.  Straight up and down is keyboard for now ( R & F ) and will get those assigned later.

Did a few carrier missions and now have to do laundry and ice removal.  yay :(
    3Jane
    @Greyman ; - what time zone are you in?  I'd be glad to come along in my alt account and keep you company / lend a hand :)

Wintermute
    Digikid1 said:
    Just spent a few hours ( HS how time flies! ) in ED getting used to my HOTAS.  It is easier but I have to reassign some buttons.  Straight up and down is keyboard for now ( R & F ) and will get those assigned later.

Did a few carrier missions and now have to do laundry and ice removal.  yay :(
    For thrust up and down, as well as left and right, there are some control settings that only apply to when you have the landing gear down, so maybe set those to the hat on top of the joystick.  Instead of using a modifier, I've been a little lazy in mining and just drop the landing gear to allow me to manoeuvre more easily around the rocks.
    Wintermute
    RattyUK said:
    @Greyman ; - what time zone are you in?  I'd be glad to come along in my alt account and keep you company / lend a hand :)
    From your name, I'm guessing that I'm in the same TZ as you, ie GMT (I'm old, what can I say.)

I'm from the north of England, where london's proposed HS2 commuter line might or might not reach.  ;)
    Wintermute
    Well, the mining suddenly got more productive.  Blowing asteroids up, with just enough nukes, certainly yields a major amount of high value minerals and is helping me get quickly towards that 500T mined and refined target.

I just look at the strength of all of the fissures and average them out.  Using that graph in the top right is pretty useful for letting you know when you've got there too.

Also, thanks to @RattyUK's advice, the AI isn't bothering me when i'm in the belt.  I should be able to get this task out of the way pretty quickly now and move on with the other engineers, so that i can get set up for my next long exploration trip.

Graph?  What Graph?
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    Graph?  What Graph?
    The bar with the pretty coloured boxes on the top right when you are loading up Seismics to make a pretty boom!

Wintermute
    ....and remember, never return to a lit firework. 

With Seismic charges, it's best to back off a fair distance, to avoid unnecessary damage to your ship, when detonating..
    Unless you have an A-Rated Python, cos you can get pretty close (I've tried 700m I think and only damaged my shields). Otherwise if you have an average ship you're better off 1km away just to be safe!