cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Oculus Go game beta testing needed

Truthveyor
Expert Protege
Hi, can you test my new game?  For free, of course.

It is in beta, and I need testers to give me feedback.

Game Title:  HOPPY ANIMALS

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5vjlO-YQKk&t=3s

Game Description:  Hoppy Animals is a third person platformer game (a bit like Super Mario) set in a remarkably stunning and explorable 3D candy world (a bit like the candy world in the movie Wreck-It Ralph). Characters can run, jump, attack and talk (voiced over).

You can control with touchpad, gamepad, or Gear VR/Oculus Go Controller. It should work for both Gear VR and Oculus Go.

If you are interested, please send me a message.

Tony
vg6u22kz9eav.png

hshy2h843rat.png

9qy23euc4qnu.png

14 REPLIES 14

Robbin12392
Explorer
I'm interested! Add me, please.

lilpp187
Honored Guest
Add me 

technotic
Protege
Not sure it's my kind of thing, but i'm willing to beta and give you feedback. I've done old school beta testing for biggies, so I'm sure I can provide you the right kind of objective feedback.

skuzel
Honored Guest
Please add me

CrashFu
Consultant
Sure, I'd be happy to give it a go!  I've got a gamepad I can try with it, too.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Truthveyor
Expert Protege
@technotic , @skuzel , @CrashFu

I've just send you the Keys to the Hoppy Animals game.  By the way, I've the trailer for the game now, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5vjlO-YQKk&t=3s

CrashFu
Consultant
Key redeemed!  I'll give it a try as soon as I get the chance.

Nice trailer, by the way!  It really gives off some Rare / Insomniac  platformer vibes. 😉
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

CrashFu
Consultant
Sorry for the wait @Truthveyor  ,  I've now played with both the Go controller and with a Gamepad, so here's my feedback so far, in no particular order.

Go controller:  Using it like a joystick is pretty intuitive!  However it seems like the characters can only either stand still or go their full movement speed when using this control method  (noticed that slower, walking-speed is possible with gamepad)   and that can make it easy to run off ledges.  So I recommend making it so that a few different speeds of movement are possible, determined by how far the controller is tilted.

I wonder if you might also be able to squeeze a couple more input functions onto the Go controller, assigned to clicking particular sides of the thumbpad, instead of just using the whole thing as a single button?

A notable advantage to playing with gamepad is being able to move around without automatically resetting the camera afterwards.  I wonder if it would be better for the Go Controller mode if you had to give the thumbpad a quick tap to reset camera, instead of it happening as soon as you let go, after moving?   You could maybe try a toggle for that, in the options.

Some way to adjust camera height would be a big improvement. The default level is nice for setting the scale of the world, but it makes it very hard to do some of the platforming sessions, and I often find myself setting the camera perpindicular to the jump I'm making, just so I can judge the distance more easily.  Maybe clicking the top/front and bottom/back  corners of the thumbpad could raise and lower the camera from wherever its current position is?  (on gamepad, the right thumbstick would work)   While we're at it, maybe the left and right corners of the thumbpad (or left and right on the right gamepad thumbstick)  could snap-rotate the camera relative to the avatar's position?

Enemies with projectile attacks:  They're incredibly hard to dodge!  Even if I keep on the move I usually end up taking a lot of damage while fighting them.   More telegraphed attacks and slower, more visible projectiles would be good.

Side note:  visually, I really like many of the enemy designs!

Some of the levels that have enemies don't have any health pickups.  Such as Bully Bull's Farm.   Speaking of which, I feel like I missed some dialogue or something, because him attacking me after I caught the crows seemed completely unprovoked and unexplained.

It might have been too harsh for me to knock him clear off the level at that point, but.. it got the job done.   I also noticed it's possible to push a lot of friendly NPCs off ledges, just by walking into them.  I didn't get the chance to test if that would cause any problems if those characters are scripted to do anything..  for example, pushing Mayor Lion off the level, during Leapy Kitty's combat trial?

One of the art assets, a statue of a knight riding a horse, I think it was?  It sort of looks like the model of the knight is missing a texture or something, because it's just a solid orange color.

Truthveyor
Expert Protege
@CrashFu , thanks for the detailed feedback. That's exactly what I need. I'll see what I can do about them. The knight's statue should have a nice metallic reflection, but it sucked up speed...  I'll see what I can do.