cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  😄

https://youtu.be/Yz_QVEzVmfk

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

118 REPLIES 118

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Apologies to OP, as we shouldn't stray to far from the main topic of the thread or derail it, as there is a proper thread for discussing Skyrim VR. I'll be brief.

@RedRizla - yes, all the mods I use work together fine (though my list tends to be script heavy which can cause issues at times). There will always be some kind of CTD no matter what or how many mods are used due to the limitations of the Skyrim script engine. The frequency of the CTD's is what needs to be kept to a minimum and if consistent CTD's in the same place then further testing is needed. When modding, mod order is extremely important for keeping the system stable using a program called LOOT. Even if LOOT has ordered mods a particular way, there may still need to be a manual intervention from the user as a certain mod is usually causing a problem with another mod.

Anyway to keep on topic, we can discuss this further in the proper thread if you like:

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

nrosko
Superstar
OK so i played it all the way through. It's a decent game not sure i rate it that highly maybe 7/10 3.5/5 as some here. 

pyroth309
Visionary
I just dusted off my Rift this morning, you guys sold me on this. 

A_Force
Expert Protege
That treasure chest tho.. I almost had a heartattack and cursed the developers!!
Other than that, great game so far!

Just completed the first "big boss". The boss fight was a bit drawn out though, probably fought him for 15 minutes or something, running around like crazy.
I've handled the game pretty well but after that fight i had to hop out of VR since i could certainly feel simsickness growing. Looking forward to hop back in tonight!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I only got a chance to play for about 90 minutes the other night. Did you guys do the same as me and shoot up at that Rune in the window with your bow for ages? lol I was like OMG, this is soooooo bugged!!! I was getting mad at the developers and I was cursing at the game and my arm was aching so much!...And then I realised you just have to climb up and touch it with your hand! LOL

I'm still suspicious that the devs did this on purpose as an evil scheme so that people play long enough past their refund period and can't change their minds! :wink:

But yeah, so far I'm loving it, I like feeding horses carrots, that's great, but this pesky dog wants to eat everything I find so I keep throwing the stick and when he's not looking I eat his biscuit so that works out quite well. This game has me smoking which I didn't think I would do because of my asthma but oh well.

And I burnt my hands when I was smelting iron, but other then that the dangers are quite minimal whilst playing. :smiley:
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I only got a chance to play for about 90 minutes the other night. Did you guys do the same as me and shoot up at that Rune in the window with your bow for ages? 

And I burnt my hands when I was smelting iron, but other then that the dangers are quite minimal whilst playing. :smiley:

Got the Runes without much trouble in the courtyard, but couldn't find the last one in the war room  :#

Burnt my hands too - luckily there was some water nearby  😄

I think the value of this game lies hidden in the details - I do my best to uncover all the secrets and get all the stuff, I've already spent 2 hours in-game and I'm far from finishing the game (had too much work the last days, haven't had time to play the game since Sunday, sigh).

Maybe Shadow Legend isn't the longest game, but I love the immersion especially in the courtyard - feeding the horses, smoking the pipe, frying a steak etc. - combined with truly awesome graphics and performance - really show the best of VR like few games have been able to do before. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Yeah definitely, I was quite impressed by how good the graphics look and also how smooth they managed to get it to run on my GTX 1060.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I greatly enjoyed today's sightseeing - seems like there are some blind people on Steam criticizing the game for poor/boring graphics - which of course may be true if they just sneezed in the headset  :# Of course we don't need to agree, and here're some fresh photos when visiting Tarius (he's a shop keeper, so it's as close to not spoiling anything as I I probably can get). 

(Click on each picture to see it in higher res.)

Don't we all love shadows? - Here're some (non-RTX) on the floor, not bad right? (Compare that to shadows in Transpose, cough 😉
j2jjqird2wyx.jpg

- if I take a few steps back, we can add some awesome light rays - note that the carpet to the left isn't lying completely flat, check out how that interacts with the shadows compared to the (more) flat carpet to the right - looks quite real:

jauxz8dd4qew.jpg

Maybe we should keep looking at the floor - shy shoe-gazing dudes have all the fun, because you may have seen nice floors in VR before, but nothing like this, right?

t0p9y24lh8fe.jpg

There's even some music written about the floor in Tarius' shop:

https://youtu.be/fMos_Z2Qwfs

It's easy to get floored in Shadow Legend  😄 (alright, admitted - that was a really bad joke) 

Looking up is even more impressive:

t83udgkkr6h1.jpg
5gvv7zerhwec.jpg

Maybe a better shot of the ceiling:

qa671zyjlv0x.jpg

My arm keeps impressing me - the textures are even better if I hold the arm closer to my face. I haven't seen such detail since Lone Echo, ok Mage's Tale isn't bad too:

6l30j4hlqtiu.jpg

Of course I took the above photos while wandering around trying to figure out how to get rid of Tarius. Unfortunately he didn't react to me politely saying "Dear Tarius, my good man, your shoe laces are untied, please fix that while I wait here and won't immediately steal all of your utterly awesome weapons and run the very best I can". 

i64qgk113qks.jpg

Alextended
Expert Protege
I like what I played so far but it's no Skyrim or Lone Echo or anything ground breaking. It's very clearly a small scale indie project that lacks depth and polish in many areas despite neat little touches here and there like the horses, dogs, whatever else, all of which are one-off instances like each area is a theme park to present some cool bits rather than a core part of the gameplay. So it's not like Skyrim where you can say you can have blacksmithing skills and make stuff to equip or sell, it just has a nicely interactive workshop to use in the intro section which you never see again.

The combat which is most of what you do after the intro beyond exploring is passable, melee parrying feels decent, but other than that there's no depth to it and the same goes for most all of its other mechanics, from ranged weapons to whatever else (I just got the gimmicky returning axe myself, maybe it's made obsolete later but for now it seems to have made other ranged weapons unnecessary as you can use it in both melee and range, we'll see).

Its best aspect I feel is the way they've tried to make you fully explore all the environments by putting the runes you need to unlock new weapons all over the place in nooks and crannies, it's basically done to pad the game's length as the environments are small and few but it works, climbing all over the place is cool (but they seem to have forgotten that you can just shoot some down as they have intricate climbing paths laid out but they turn out to be unnecessary).

Of course I wouldn't want that in a Skyrim-length game, imagine having to climb like that in every single dungeon and town and palace and whatever, it would get old very soon. Being able to do it is one thing, having to do it everywhere if you want to progress optimally is another. It only works here exactly because it's a bite sized experience in comparison.

Like most of the rest the game really, I feel all of its mechanics and systems beyond the polished locomotion/climbing would outstay their welcome and make all of their flaws and lack of depth feel much more important. I wouldn't want to play this combat a lot if it offered a sandbox arena mode like Blade & Sorcery's, that's for sure (on the other hand I do think Blade & Sorcery's systems are wasted in such a limited scope but still it's actually fun to go back to once in a while).  I give these guys an A for effort but unless they churn out a bigger and grander sequel I feel it will be forgotten soon, the story leaves a lot to be desired as if it was an afterthought and full of silly cliches (without humor most of the time). Grandmaster, lol (though the moment you make your way to the underworld or whatever was unexpected and cool!). It's worth playing through for sure but I think people overhype it and some might be disappointed if they expect some epic next generation VR experience like say, Lone Echo seemed to be at the time with its awesome visuals and zero gravity locomotion.

The way people speak about this game I felt about Karnage Chronicles when I first played it, it's a small scale dungeon crawler that you'll never hear anyone compared to Skyrim because its small scale intentions are clear but it feels very meaty, it doesn't have the little sim details and climbing focusing on fun combat with varied enemy types instead but it also includes some pretty good puzzles and other interactions here and there. It just feels like a good meaty game to play rather than a tech demo showcase, but I'm now waiting for it to get out of early access before playing it again, hopefully they'll have managed to round off the experience nicely (I stopped playing when I read the next major update would completely overhaul the last area I had just gone in to be a full dungeon like the previous rather than just a boss and its build up section as I read it was up to that point).

I suppose Shadow Legend's impact will be much grander if you haven't played many more VR games when you try it though, it might be a very nice showcase for newer users transitioning from the introductory and free VR experiences to show them the potential of the medium, but I had basically sampled all of its features, some in way better incarnations, in other games. It brought it all together in a nice but to me very shallow package (and not much beyond Vengeful Rites beyond the fancier graphics anyway). I was really excited when I first saw the trailer but quickly tempered expectations when I found out it was meant to be a short 5-10 hour experience rather than a grand RPG and I feel I was right to do that, I'd have been very disappointed if I expected a made from the ground up for VR Skyrim scope experience as the title suggests but now I've enjoyed it for what it is.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I like what I played but it's no Skyrim or Lone Echo or anything ground
breaking. It's very clearly a small scale indie project that lacks depth
and polish in many areas. The melee combat for example is passable,
parrying feels decent, but other than that there's no depth to it

Have you even played SkyrimVR? The melee combat is utter garbage.

If you describe melee combat in Shadow Legend as "passable" then that would make SkyrimVR's melee combat... coma inducing.

Alextended said:It's worth playing through for sure but I think people overhype

Ah, so this is the problem with the feedback you are trying to provide. You aren't being entirely genuine at all about Shadow Legend, instead you are going out of your way to intentionally counter what you believe is "overhype." And all you did was grossly exaggerate the negative aspects of the game. Simply put: you believe people are exaggerating how good it is, so you are going to exaggerate how "not good" it is. Lovely - lol