cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  😄

https://youtu.be/Yz_QVEzVmfk

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

118 REPLIES 118

Alextended
Expert Protege
I agree, Skyrim melee is pretty bad whether in or out of VR and I'm not a fan of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind (which had sucky combat too but I felt it was more excused by the era and everything else it brought to the table). That doesn't make Shadow Legend's combat good, nor does it make its scope as grand as that of TES games which, whether I like them or not, provide hundreds of hours of fun for their fans. As much as I dislike modern TES there's a lot more room for character development and progression in the usual RPG ways with skills and spells and stealth and such than there is in Shadow Legend which is the same from start to imminent finish except you might be using a gigantic flintlock rifle instead of a bow or crossbow (though functionally it's nearly identical to the crossbow) and a sword that occasionally freezes enemies in place instead of the starting sword or whatever, which ultimately doesn't change the experience, nor does it feel like you evolved a character in a meaningful way.

Hell, Shadow Legend feels a lot like a nicer looking, more condensed form of Vengeful Rites (which lacks in graphics but has a similar parrying system, climbing, mining, magic spells including telekinesis so you can place ladders and such for environmental puzzles, and other stuff). It's cool but not a ground breaking next level step over VR like some seem to claim. No, I'm not countering anything or not being genuine, I'm just saying how I feel about the game and how I disagree with it being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread for VR, without making out of the blue personal accusations for whoever just because I disagree. Nice ad hominem there though, keep it up. If you're so obsessed you can't stand for people not loving the game and have to find some sinister motive behind an opinion, lol. If people had been saying it's a shitty game then I'd say all the same things except where I say I feel it's overhyped I'd have said I feel it's underappreciated or underrated, the core opinion is the same.

I said my piece and I'm moving on, I'm sorry if that's a foreign concept to you.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
To be fair, even trying to compare SL with Skyrim (even with all the faults) is 'not being fair'. I give full credit the developers of SL for being able to do what they have done (though I haven't seen all of it yet for other reasons) with the game. It's no easy task in this day and age to put out a product that is very polished (yet short) and be a trend setter (which I personally think will happen here). They have a lot of great idea's which will most likely advance the progress of VR.

We all know:

- Skyrim (TES) was made by a company that has very deep pockets and tons of manpower, been around for a long time but leaves all the bugs and addition of next gen graphics, etc... for users to provide and add on, of which wasn't designed with VR in mind (even remotely).

With SL, we have a new developer with limited resources, manpower, and who still need to eat and pay for whats already been provided to us the users, all while creating something for a new technology that is still in it's infancy. It's a very tough task to juggle all of that without loosing the very people who are helping put it together.  They have a polished product that doesn't need users to fix or add to which is a plus. Seriously, when you think about it, they got it right, focus on the small details of usage, set the stage for VR's future for now, make a little money to cover costs and eat...so they can down the road provide a more seasoned product that will be even more spectacular. Very few devs make their signature product first time around. Most of the time it's the second or third time lucky...if they can last during the famine times.

I really hope we will see more from these devs!!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Alextended
Expert Protege
Agreed, it's pretty unfair to compare them like that but since it's part of the thread/title/OP I commented as such. Shadow Legend's real (friendly hopefully, not like someone) competition is stuff like Vengeful Rites (I hope that gets completed too).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I agree, Skyrim melee is pretty bad whether in or out of VR and I'm not a fan of Elder Scrolls since Morrowind (which had sucky combat too but I felt it was more excused by the era and everything else it brought to the table). That doesn't make Shadow Legend's combat good

This thread is about comparing Shadow Legend to Skyrim VR in terms of what SL does better. In that regard, we can say that SL's melee combat is good compared to SkyrimVR. Because that's how comparisons work. You described SL's melee combat as "barely passable," so perhaps we need to describe how "passing" works. When something is "passable" that means there is a baseline; where things fall below the baseline (fail) or exceed it (pass). SkyrimVR definitely falls below any baseline for melee combat in VR, and SL exceeds that baseline. And if SkyrimVR itself were the baseline... then SL is more than just "good" in comparison.

As much as I dislike modern TES there's a lot more room for character
development and progression in the usual RPG ways with skills and spells
and stealth and such than there is in Shadow Legend which is the same
from start to imminent finish except you might be using a gigantic
flintlock rifle instead of a bow or crossbow (though functionally it's
nearly identical to the crossbow) and a sword that occasionally freezes
enemies in place instead of the starting sword or whatever, which
ultimately doesn't change the experience, nor does it feel like you
evolved a character in a meaningful way.

Character development in Vanilla Skyrim is great but in SkyrimVR it is incredibly cookie-cutter since melee combat is garbage. Players are left either spamming magic or spamming bow. There's little to no reason to switch up character builds in SkyrimVR; the most effective play-styles end up exactly the same.

No, I'm not countering anything or not being genuine, I'm just saying how
I feel about the game and how I disagree with it being hailed as the
best thing since sliced bread for VR

Think about what you just said here. You are exaggerating the opinion of others, and then typing up your feedback on SL based on your exaggerated version of what others have said. Not a single person has portrayed this as the "great thing since sliced bread for VR," people are only praising what this game has been able to achieve in the specific genre of First Person VR RPG. And it uses SkyrimVR as a comparison. Twice now you have gone out of your way to mention the sentiment of others and then, under that context, you proceed to intentionally try to pick holes in SL. That's a self-induced bias.

In contrast, other people have listed observable facts about what SL very much does better than SkyrimVR. You have yet to provide a counter argument to those measurable features. Instead, you have made sweeping generalizations about the game.

without making out of the blue personal accusations for whoever just because I disagree.

Wrong. You literally accused everyone of over-hyping SL. And now you seem upset because after you try to say that everyone is exaggerating, I'm calling you out for being just as exaggeratory. Nice pot/kettle.

Alextended said:
I said my piece and I'm moving on, I'm sorry if that's a foreign concept to you.

If you're still typing replies, then you aren't exactly moving on, right? I don't think I'm the one who is foreign to the concept.
😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just a small note - after patching the game to the current version last night, I didn't experience more crashes.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but I greatly appreciate the adventure-like/puzzle elements like (word) riddles and finding runes + gold/gems. Especially the flying crow with the rune was fun. In Lone Echo there also was a mission about finding 20+ Cube-Sats hidden all over the mining facilities and surroundings, not that far from collecting runes. Apart from that (and the great graphics and performance), I don't think Shadow Legend compares well to many other VR games and it doesn't need to, it stands quite tall on its own.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

Just a small note - after patching the game to the current version last night, I didn't experience more crashes.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but I greatly appreciate the adventure-like/puzzle elements like (word) riddles and finding runes + gold/gems. Especially the flying crow with the rune was fun. In Lone Echo there also was a mission about finding 20+ Cube-Sats hidden all over the mining facilities and surroundings, not that far from collecting runes. Apart from that (and the great graphics and performance), I don't think Shadow Legend compares well to many other VR games and it doesn't need to, it stands quite tall on its own.

It's hardly a puzzle finding these runes & coins though is it? it's more akin to tidying up. 
And on the subject of overrated games & menial tasks I hope Lone Echo 2 has a bit more going on with its missions than the first one.    

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
It's hardly a puzzle finding these runes & coins though is it? it's more akin to tidying up. 
And on the subject of overrated games & menial tasks I hope Lone Echo 2 has a bit more going on with its missions than the first one.    

I still think it's funny that you downplay games like Lone Echo yet you championed The Forest VR so diligently. The Forest is the epitome of menial tasks and tidying up.

Shadow Legend does have some great puzzles in it; especially compared to Skyrim's "step on a stone in this room then turn a stone in another room" - rinse repeat for 100+ dungeons in a row.

cybernettr
Superstar
Re the title of this thread, comparing this game, excellent as it may be, to Skyrim VR is like comparing a short poem to War and Peace. What a silly comparison. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Re the title of this thread, comparing this game, excellent as it may be, to Skyrim VR is like comparing a short poem to War and Peace. What a silly comparison. 

Wrong. Morrowind is "War and Peace." Skyrim plagiarizes Morrowind's cliff notes. Skyrim VR is a Skyrim re-write as a pop-up book.

I've had to stop reading this thread cos I don't want any spoilers... at all.
Will be purchasing when I get home in a weeks time, seems like I've got something to look forward to.