cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a hint to people who might not want to buy any new oculus headsets until rift 2

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
these people (oculus) need money, they get that from selling hardware. we might not need a rift s and can wait till rift 2, but come to think of it i might buy a rift s to help oculus out. when theres an option to buy free software i read a sw developer say he always chooses to pay for it because hes seen sw developers go belly up by nobody buying their free software. so i remember him saying that when i see oculus gear up for rift s. oculus has been good to me, i think i want to get a rift s to help oculus out. you should think about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTWAbn1b4Y
18 REPLIES 18

ShocksVR
Superstar
If Rift-S brings us the specs of Quest (or better) and an affordable price, i'm buying.

For reference - Quest:  1600x1440p screen (Vive Pro, Odyssey+), manual IPD, next gen lenses.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Alextended
Expert Protege
Yes, poor facebook has no money, I'll just send them some for free, not for a product, just to help them. I already bought a Rift which I can enjoy for a few years before considering an upgrade to something that will have to be a much bigger leap, not just in HMD but in controllers too. The next VR product I buy might not even be by Oculus, just whatever seems like the best deal at the time in terms of features and price like the Rift was when I bought it. All that after I upgrade my PC to be able to power much higher resolution VR and the more demanding games of the time. I guess my next VR set purchase will come in around 2023 or something as even with Knuckles-level controllers becoming the standard I feel that Oculus Touch will remain relevant enough unlike the current Vive wands. I'll essentially go for the next leap forward (at a good price) ignoring the inbetween steps.

Richooal
Consultant
😮
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll be buying one if the 360 tracking is on a par with the Rift.

It should also be noted that Oculus/Facebook don't make any money on hardware (apart from the VERY lucrative standalone sensors), they sell everything at cost. If you want to give Oculus/Facebook a few quid (and help out developers too, cos we need to eat as well lol) then buy apps, games and experiences from the Oculus Store instead of Steam.

Alternatively you COULD buy everything from Steam instead. It won't help Oculus AT ALL but the more purchases on Steam that people make the more doughnuts that GabeN is going to afford to buy. And the more doughnuts he eats the more chance there is of him passing away, because let's face it they'll only be able to count to three once he's out of the picture 😮 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Was that too much? lol  😮 😄

falken76
Expert Consultant

snowdog said:

I'll be buying one if the 360 tracking is on a par with the Rift.

It should also be noted that Oculus/Facebook don't make any money on hardware (apart from the VERY lucrative standalone sensors), they sell everything at cost. If you want to give Oculus/Facebook a few quid (and help out developers too, cos we need to eat as well lol) then buy apps, games and experiences from the Oculus Store instead of Steam.

Alternatively you COULD buy everything from Steam instead. It won't help Oculus AT ALL but the more purchases on Steam that people make the more doughnuts that GabeN is going to afford to buy. And the more doughnuts he eats the more chance there is of him passing away, because let's face it they'll only be able to count to three once he's out of the picture 😮 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Was that too much? lol  😮 😄

I buy most of my games on Steam.  Who is this guy and what does his apparent addiction to donuts have to do with steam?  Is he the brains behind the operation?  I really have no clue who he is. 

I might also consider this new one if it has 360 tracking on par with Rift like you said.

I've never bought anything to help a company out.
I'll buy a Rift S if it's noticeably better than my Rift. Simple.

Alextended
Expert Protege

falken76 said:

I buy most of my games on Steam.  Who is this guy and what does his apparent addiction to donuts have to do with steam?  Is he the brains behind the operation?  I really have no clue who he is. 

I might also consider this new one if it has 360 tracking on par with Rift like you said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Newell
Founder and president of Valve, a game development company known for their own Half-Life, modding support of which led to the likes of Counter-Strike and Team Fortress Classic. More (well, relatively) recently they adopted the likes of Dota with making its sequel (as well as various Counter-Strike iterations, Team Fortress 2 and their own Portal series among others). They made Steam as well, the original and de facto PC digital distribution platform which everyone else is trying to beat these days (gotta love competition but I wish more companies were going after consumers and developers with features and support rather than simply by  bribing exclusives for the mindshare like Epic Games Store). Without those efforts we'd probably have suffered with sub standard services and an ever-shrinking PC gaming platform for much longer back in the dark 00s where retail stores barely stocking PC versions and the bigger mainstream titles being console exclusives (outside PC centric genres like MMORPGs and RTS titles of the era) was quickly becoming the norm, contrary to today where PC is as prominent as it's ever been in every facet of gaming, from indies, to any niche, to the biggest mainstream names and even the once absent eastern developers now porting their products. Their research and technology also powered HTC's initial efforts with the Vive, the first modern VR platform to offer impeccable 360 degree motion controlled room scale VR entertainment ushering us into this amazing new era (all that just days after the Oculus Rift's initial seated/gamepad based VR launch), though it appears that since then they have mostly parted ways as HTC expands its catalogue of products without adopting new technologies we know Valve has been working on like the famous Knuckles VR controllers, though they continue to make use of their lighthouse tracking and other standardized technology like SteamVR. As for what the future holds, what companies they may partner with, how Steam and their take on VR will evolve, we'll have to wait and see, though we might catch a glimpse during GDC 2019 as they're set to speak on various topics like brain-computer interfaces. Anyway, I guess he was being fat shamed and wished dead with the donuts thing.

ShocksVR
Superstar
^^^^
Fun Fact, Michael Abrash (current Oculus Research/Facebook Reality Labs - Chief Scientist, former original dev of Id on Quake and worked for John Carmack, had a brief stint at Valve where he worked on VR before joining Oculus).

Abrash was offered to be the 3rd co-founder of Valve by Newell (they both worked at Microsoft), but he decided to go back to Microsoft (after Quake) to work on the Xbox.

He has a great position now, but he really missed out on that sweet STEAM money (I wonder if he has any regrets)
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

MowTin
Expert Trustee
^^^ We all have regrets.

So, the Rift S is a better Rift with inside out tracking? I would definitely buy that. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2