cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend your Oculus Products to others?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
After 3 years of mainstream VR and two leading HMD's on the market (Rift, GO), as we march towards the release of Quest I am curious as to how many of us would actually recommend an Oculus product to someone else.
65 REPLIES 65

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Neither/Both.

1) Yes: to my friends who are computer literate, know how to trouble shoot issues and how to correctly ask for help (state your issues, when it started, your hardware/software. what you've tried, etc) and have some patience.  It's fun when it works.

2) No: to my friends who have limited to no computer skills, become easily frustrated, are impatient. On one hand I am awed at the Oculus folks for what they have accomplished given the myriad of hardware, firmware, OS, and other software out there. On the other hand, the Rift PCVR is still a little too cutting edge (and rough on that cutting edge) to give an open ended recommendation.  The issues with continually redownloading the same huge updates, the very very poor error diagnostics, the fact that one of the most common solutions is to "uninstall/reinstall".

3) Yes: based on my experience with rift. On a laptop. An unapproved laptop. Once I got past the initial stages its been reliable and fun. No regrets.

4) No: based on reading this online forum. SO many problems, so many unresolved issues, so many people not getting even basic responses.
   Yes: based on reading this online forum. Some folks are really helpful, really helpful, and will make an effort to help other users in a civil and courteous manner. These folks are gold, Jerry, GOLD. Plus, there can be some fun and interesting topics posted here.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

LZoltowski
Champion
@sford52 support forums are usually ALL about issues, that is by design. The volume of issues is relatively low compared to how many of the Rift's are out there. I do admit that a lot of issues are from Laptops or badly configured hardware, or people trying to run the headset on PC's that are below minimum spec. I think once we get rid of sensors and adopt inside out tracking, things will be a lot easier to set up.

I would and have recommended Oculus products to friends etc, Oculus Rift is a gen 1 product that requires a bit of computer literacy ... I have been lucky enough not to have a single issue, in fact, my laser printer gives me more issues 😐 ... The Oculus GO is a great entry level headset and I recommend it to everyone who is not a PC Gamer.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

ShocksVR
Superstar

I voted No but that is only because at present I would not recommend anybody buy a HMD until we see if a Rift S or a Valve headset are launched and which one emerges victorious. I left out Vive there as I see no hope of them surprising us with anything worthy or sensibly priced in the near future.

But what about Quest and GO ?  For your non-PC literate friends
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Luciferous
Consultant

I voted No but that is only because at present I would not recommend anybody buy a HMD until we see if a Rift S or a Valve headset are launched and which one emerges victorious. I left out Vive there as I see no hope of them surprising us with anything worthy or sensibly priced in the near future.

But what about Quest and GO ?  For your non-PC literate friends

I Don't own a Go and the Quest is still not released 🙂

It does say would you recommend your Oculus products and so taking that literally, that answer would still be no at present. Oculus as a company, I have nothing but praise for generally.

Epona0000
Protege
Yup, I would, with the knowledge i've gleaned from hardware acquisitions and setup. All in all it's a good platform... Thought I was excited about the digital eye-tracking version from a competitor.but that has to be buggy. But an interesting way to go.

I haven't played with any folks on here in cooperative games, so I reserve that opinion until after that. I don't like gettin' spanked (online).. I usually have a game that does it quite well for me..

Richooal
Consultant
I've been avoiding this poll, but today I'm unable to use my hardware to simply view software that I have already downloaded. This is simply because this excellent device is becoming too entwined with Facebook.

I know lots of you love your Facebook lives and that's fine. Facebook can still use the Oculus VR platform for their social media but, I believe, they need to put in some form of separation. The Facebook social aspect should be a selectable App, just like Rec Room for example.

It bugs me that it takes so long for "Home" to load (on a machine with RECOMMENDED specs) even though I don't want the "Home".
All I need is a VR interface (HMD and Touch Controllers) which allows me to access my Account, the Store, and my Library. It would be simple to click on a button or menu item to load "Home" if I needed it and all it's attached fluff.

BTW, voting "no" doesn't sit well with me because the Rift is an excellent device, and so far, I've had great responses from Support when needed.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:
I know lots of you love your Facebook lives and that's fine.

My "facebook life" is like 90% meme's lol

If you can create a forum account, then you can create a Facebook Account. You don't have to use Facebook in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable. You don't even have to use it at all other than as a placeholder for your VR activities.

I've always found it odd that people feel comfortable creating Accounts on Forum software but not Social Media software.

Richooal
Consultant
I do have a Facebook account but it is only so that I could access a relative's albums, and it contains minimal identifying info.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

I haven't logged into my Facebook account for over a year. I guess I don't have a Facebook life.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

I do have a Facebook account but it is only so that I could access a relative's albums, and it contains minimal identifying info.

I respect your decision to vote "no" based on Facebook's increased pressure for Oculus product owners to rely on the FB Social Media platform. That's an opinion that should most certainly be voiced.

That being said, Facebook has large chunks of our data even outside of Facebook. Including our usage of this very
forum. Facebook regularly buys consumer
online web traffic data from multiple 3rd Parties. All of our Internet
Activity is logged, sold, and analyzed to multiple organizations.
Facebook is just one of many who purchases this data. So even if someone doesn't have a Facebook Account, they still have a profile of who you are
and what you do online.

It's just part of "the internet of things."