cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc vr coming to an end.Heres why rift 2 development slowed down and we have only rift s .

inovator
Consultant
Oculus is greatly slowing down pc vr headset development  and yes will develop rift 2 but over a longer period of time than originally planned. Why? Because of 5 g. That will take time since interstructure and everyone adopting it takes time.
 But make no mistake it's coming and will change everything.  Pc vr where you need bigger and better graphics cards etc.will come to an end.  5g will support  stand alone headsets with the power made of dreams. 5g articles are all over Internet. Check it out and you may agree with me.
49 REPLIES 49

A_Force
Expert Protege
5G is a cellular network infrastructure. Why would that change anything regarding VR?
Unless you are running a VR device using your phone i don't see any way this is relevant (Even if you did, the only difference would be you can download your apps faster or something).

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
..........ok
jg3g6mcut8rb.gif
WAAAGH!

RattyUK
Trustee
PCVR, 5G?  Different platforms, while not mutually exclusive, I doubt that development for PC tethered HMD's will be reliant on an alternative data source, particularly when third-worlld countries (like the UK when it comes to 4G - yet alone 5G) adoption is likely to incredibly slow and expensive to 'join in' I'd think would limit the usefulness for quite a long way into the future.
But the streaming possibilities over such a high bandwidt network has possibilities, for the few 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

inovator
Consultant
The point is it would be for stand alone. You need to read the articles before giving opinions and so it could be understood why it's relavant. The quest will have rift like experiences which is amazing considering the low power it has. 5g would also contribute to 2d games on the cloud that wouldn't need powerfull computer and faster and faster game consoles. Pc vr will be less necessary. Pc vr is still relevant now but won't be in the future is why oculus has slowed things a bit.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
PC has withstood the playstation xbox revolution and is a niche, it isn't going anywhere soon. PC vr is a niche and will remain for a longtime, 5g will not change that not matter how many articles one reads.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Expert Consultant

inovator said:

Oculus is greatly slowing down pc vr headset development  and yes will develop rift 2 but over a longer period of time than originally planned. Why? Because of 5 g. That will take time since interstructure and everyone adopting it takes time.
 But make no mistake it's coming and will change everything.  Pc vr where you need bigger and better graphics cards etc.will come to an end.  5g will support  stand alone headsets with the power made of dreams. 5g articles are all over Internet. Check it out and you may agree with me.

Was there an announcement or are these assumptions?

inovator
Consultant
These are assumptions. Oculus scaled way back on the rift 2. If you study the history and a major vr guy left recently because he was pissed  in regards to the scale back  you can come up with an opinion.

falken76
Expert Consultant

inovator said:

The point is it would be for stand alone. You need to read the articles before giving opinions and so it could be understood why it's relavant. The quest will have rift like experiences which is amazing considering the low power it has. 5g would also contribute to 2d games on the cloud that wouldn't need powerfull computer and faster and faster game consoles. Pc vr will be less necessary. Pc vr is still relevant now but won't be in the future is why oculus has slowed things a bit.

I think 5g is going to have more of an effect on the Cable industry, now finally, they won't have a monopoly (Due to the insane cost of infrastructure development).  There's going to be competition with a service that can provide comparable and faster speeds OTA so it will be available to more people.  This will FORCE the cable providers to offer competitive pricing so hopefully 5g will decrease the cost of internet subscriptions amongst their competitors.   I don't think this will effect PCVR at all.  Instead the ripoff costs of GPUs and Ram mean that the cost to entry on PCVR is cost prohibitive and for this reason, PCVR  will forever be the secondary VR platform because everyone follows the money and the money is in mobile since the cost to entry is so low and the convenience is high.  But 5g killing off PCVR?  Nonsense.

inovator
Consultant
It will effect pcvr eventually.  The future is standalone. 5 g. Is the answer for standalone. I agree it will take a long time but oculus knows pc vr eventually will be irrelevant. Pc vr will still continue to be upgraded but at half the pace in my opinion.