cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc vr coming to an end.Heres why rift 2 development slowed down and we have only rift s .

inovator
Consultant
Oculus is greatly slowing down pc vr headset development  and yes will develop rift 2 but over a longer period of time than originally planned. Why? Because of 5 g. That will take time since interstructure and everyone adopting it takes time.
 But make no mistake it's coming and will change everything.  Pc vr where you need bigger and better graphics cards etc.will come to an end.  5g will support  stand alone headsets with the power made of dreams. 5g articles are all over Internet. Check it out and you may agree with me.
49 REPLIES 49

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
we need to tie a 5g internet to the closest spot near your brain or eye balls for the best vr you can imagine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5TLlaKWqN8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I disagree, PCVR imho will endure and continue to progress.
Good times ahead.

pyroth309
Visionary

inovator said:

The point is it would be for stand alone. You need to read the articles before giving opinions and so it could be understood why it's relavant. The quest will have rift like experiences which is amazing considering the low power it has. 5g would also contribute to 2d games on the cloud that wouldn't need powerfull computer and faster and faster game consoles. Pc vr will be less necessary. Pc vr is still relevant now but won't be in the future is why oculus has slowed things a bit.

I do agree mobile will be more popular than PCVR because of the wireless and 5g but it's marketing speak to say the Quest is a "Rift like" experience. It's a Rift like Experience with low graphical games. PCVR will be around at a minimum as a high end niche for at least another 15 years because of the power difference. What is in most danger of being eliminated is console VR. 

inovator
Consultant
Console vr and pc vr will be history. Playstation vr now is the leader with 4 million in sales by now. They will also have stand alone. You don't understand the Power of 5g. 5g will give Mobil a high end experience.  The masses will never adopt pc vr. You even give high end pc about 15 years. We both agree. I never said how long it will take. I just said 5 g is the reason pc vr slowed down in development. Anyway time will tell who is what will happen and when.

pyroth309
Visionary
I do fully understand the power of 5G. It's not new news. I've known about the theoretical speeds of it for years. There's a lot more challenges to overcome than just having 5G data transfer speeds.

And yes, I do believe the future of VR is mobile as I do most gaming. I've said multiple times before that the best path for Oculus to take toward the path to 1 billion users in VR is Mobile. The nintendo switch has 1/14th the power of a GTX 2080 TI. There will be a market for tethered High End VR for awhile longer especially for wide FOV and other features that Mobile has no chance at anytime soon. 

Maybe I’m missing something but 5g is about the transfer of data and PC VR is about processing power.
There will always be a place for top level processing power, for work, games and for VR.

Eventually mobile computing power will be so good that that’s all we’ll realistically need, but that’s a decade or 2 away and it’s not about data transfer.

I also think 5g’s effects on the mobile and cable markets will be limited whilst data plans remain so expensive.

The average price for 1GB of mobile data in the UK is £5.03, the average for the US is £9.35

Every time new licences are issued, mobile companies pay so much, they have to then charge for data to recover the cost and maintain their big profits. It happened with 3g 4g and will happen with 5g and so on. Whilst that happens we’ll be relying on fixed lines for a long time to come.

pyroth309
Visionary

Maybe I’m missing something but 5g is about the transfer of data and PC VR is about processing power.
There will always be a place for top level processing power, for work, games and for VR.

Eventually mobile computing power will be so good that that’s all we’ll realistically need, but that’s a decade or 2 away and it’s not about data transfer.

I also think 5g’s effects on the mobile and cable markets will be limited whilst data plans remain so expensive.

The average price for 1GB of mobile data in the UK is £5.03, the average for the US is £9.35

Every time new licences are issued, mobile companies pay so much, they have to then charge for data to recover the cost and maintain their big profits. It happened with 3g 4g and will happen with 5g and so on. Whilst that happens we’ll be relying on fixed lines for a long time to come.

Pretty sure he's referring to the streaming of games like the new Steam Link Anywhere. With 5G the Latency is low enough for it to be viable, ditto with other tech like Fiber Internet that's becoming widely available. Streaming drastically reduces the amount of power the end device needs but has a lot of input lag. I question how viable it will be for something like VR where input lag could likely make you sick.

Ah ok sorry, gettng my wires crossed, maybe 5g will help me with that

falken76
Expert Consultant

inovator said:

Console vr and pc vr will be history. Playstation vr now is the leader with 4 million in sales by now. They will also have stand alone. You don't understand the Power of 5g. 5g will give Mobil a high end experience.  The masses will never adopt pc vr. You even give high end pc about 15 years. We both agree. I never said how long it will take. I just said 5 g is the reason pc vr slowed down in development. Anyway time will tell who is what will happen and when.

Site your sources that confirm that 5g is the reason PCVR slowed down in development.

Calibos
Heroic Explorer
He's referring to Rendering the games in the Cloud and streaming them over 5g to your Standalone HMD. The problem is that the Speed of Light isn't fast enough. Unless you have a Game rendering Cloud Server within 100 kilometers of you theres too much latency. Heck people complain about controller input lag with Steam In-home streaming over 1ms WIFI inside your own home.

5G and FTTH is a game changer for VR Pay Per View sports streaming for example. We'll need that kind of bandwidth to stream uber high res video lightfields where you get to sit courtside/pitchside/ringside in the best seat in the house and really feel like you are there. I'm not taking about crappy 3D 360 Video, I'm talking about a High Res Video version of Googles 'Welcome to Lightfields' (available on Steam) type tech.

5G for rendered VR games??? Not so much.

OP doesn't even know the name of 'that dude' who left Oculus recently. LOL.

(Brendan Iribe....or was it Dunning-Kruger?? 😉 😉