cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

pyroth309
Visionary
I know Last Light was in 3d, not sure if the original was. Maybe they are in the Redux versions? You should play the Redux if you play original games as they graphics were greatly improved. 

pyroth309
Visionary
Here's a post on Steam about Redux - 

Metro Redux is UNREAL in 3D Vision
Just purchased Metro Redux a few hours ago. 3d Vision takes this game to a WHOLE another level. Played vanilla Metro back in the day and enjoyed it but this game in 3d......WOW.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

Here's a post on Steam about Redux - 

Metro Redux is UNREAL in 3D Vision
Just purchased Metro Redux a few hours ago. 3d Vision takes this game to a WHOLE another level. Played vanilla Metro back in the day and enjoyed it but this game in 3d......WOW.

I have a 3D projector, so I might have a look at it on that. That should give me a sense of feeling like I'm in the game when I'm playing on a 110 inch screen in 3D.  🙂

I don't usually play games on my projector even though it's a gaming one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still haven't forgiven the bastards at 4A making that who're at the start of the game rip you off. That's just not cricket!  😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I loved Arktika.1!

But I can totally see how anyone who started with Metro and then played Arktika.1 could be rather disappointed.

What I love about both Metro and Arktika.1 is that the theme reminds me of being a Terran in StarCraft fighting some Zerg! It also reminds me of my old favorite Mutant Chronicles books.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just finished Metro 2033 today, it was fantastic!

Quite a few members of this community recommended that I try this (can't remember who), but I'm glad I took the advice. This was definitely a fun pancake gaming experience. It took me forever, of course, since I still struggle to stay in standard gaming for long periods of time; but I did enjoy every minute of it.

I bought the sequel to Metro 2033 and at some point will buy the new Exodus game. But I will probably take a nice break from pancaking gaming and head back in to VR.

About 1 pancake gaming experience every 3-5 months seems right up my alley!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've decided not to buy an XBox One X for the 85" TV, basically because I have little time to play my VR games, and the new TV already has increased my time watching movies and (Netflix) TV shows. Adding a new console may limit my VR time way too much - and I don't want that to happen. Furthermore don't want the kids to use my TV too much  😉

Jumped into the 4K waters last night by finally deciding what to buy first - and I chose this show. It's 9.3 on IMDB and made in real 4K (not fake/upscaled 4K):

Image result for 4k blue planet 2

Later today I'm picking this up - and I'll reconsider pancake gaming when the PS5 arrives:

Image result for sony x800

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Just finished Metro 2033 today, it was fantastic!

Quite a few members of this community recommended that I try this (can't remember who), but I'm glad I took the advice. This was definitely a fun pancake gaming experience. It took me forever, of course, since I still struggle to stay in standard gaming for long periods of time; but I did enjoy every minute of it.

I bought the sequel to Metro 2033 and at some point will buy the new Exodus game. But I will probably take a nice break from pancaking gaming and head back in to VR.

About 1 pancake gaming experience every 3-5 months seems right up my alley!

I was one of them. 2033 is indeed fantastic. The story continues with Last Light so you might want to consider just plowing through it in the near future while 2033 story is relatively fresh. All 3 games are great in their own ways. Definitely one of my favorite series. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Fair point. Maybe I will load up Last Light this weekend then, to keep the story fresh. It is a short playthrough, and I really got addicted to that "starcraft" feel the game has.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Fair point. Maybe I will load up Last Light this weekend then, to keep the story fresh. It is a short playthrough, and I really got addicted to that "starcraft" feel the game has.

Yea, 2033 is probably the Darkest of of the 3 games which is why I love it. Your gaming preferences will determine if Last Light is superior for you or not. It seems to be for most people. I kind of liked the more horror vibe of 2033 but there was definitely some things Last Light did better as well. Last Light Redux is still one of the best looking games on PC to this day. Exodus is kind of like an amalgamation of the two and added more open world elements. It's also longer than both games combined which is also good and bad.