cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  😄

https://youtu.be/Yz_QVEzVmfk

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

118 REPLIES 118

Luciferous
Consultant
It's nice to get differing opinions of the game though. I have in the past got caught up in one persons fervor and ended up just being disappointed.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Re the title of this thread, comparing this game, excellent as it may be, to Skyrim VR is like comparing a short poem to War and Peace. What a silly comparison. 

But the title caught your attention and now you're here - maybe you even considered supporting the Shadow Legend developers and bought the game?  😉

Maybe I should consider a new title, like:

"Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR comparing unmodded graphics, Touch control implementation, unmodded sound quality, fighting mechanics and weapons - but of course not comparing the story and playtime for it goes without saying that a VR port of the old gigantic Skyrim pancake game originally released in 2011 will include much more playtime than a total of 2 Vitruvius VR developers from London (Ontario, Canada) can compete with"

B)  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It's nice to get differing opinions of the game though. I have in the past got caught up in one persons fervor and ended up just being disappointed.  

I have yet to read a differing opinion of the game. I just see a few people bothered about this being compared with Skyrim. And they've let that tarnish their ability to make an objective assessment.

And if you end up disappointed about a product, you can always refund.

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

Wrong. Morrowind is "War and Peace." Skyrim plagiarizes Morrowind's cliff notes. Skyrim VR is a Skyrim re-write as a pop-up book.

It’s true that Skyrim benefits from the vast lore of the entire ElderScrolls series. However, I would point out that Morrowind is not in VR. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It’s true that Skyrim benefits from the vast lore of the entire ElderScrolls series. However, I would point out that Morrowind is not in VR. 

You do love being wrong about all the things. Morrowind is alive and well in VR, and it was in VR long before Skyrim:

I'll also add that as far as I'm concerned... Skyrim is not in VR Either. As I said in my review,
SkyrimVR: Bringing the Player to Tamriel, but not Tamriel to VR
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65596/skyrimvr-bringing-the-player-to-tamriel-but-n...

I can't interact with objects with my hands in any proper way in SkyrimVR. It's just a port of a pancake game, not a true VR game as far as I'm concerned. But that's just me.
😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

I can't interact with objects with my hands in any proper way in SkyrimVR. It's just a port of a pancake game, not a true VR game as far as I'm concerned. But that's just me.
😉

It's definitely not just you. As much as I love the level of detail in Skyrim VR - the breathing world (more or less) and the massive scale of quests and content - it lacks proper VR controls (as a left-handed I can't even dissociate weapon hand from movement/locomotion hand). For now I still lack time time to do the job that the devs should have done for a game released in 2018 - like making 1) proper textures, 2) proper high-poly models, 3) improve sound quality etc. . 

The question may be rather simple - how many would enjoy Skyrim VR if you were unable to mod the game?

Another thing - it seems that Shadow Legend was made by just two persons - Blake and Colton. Thus maybe less people worked on Shadow Legend than Doom in 1993... In that perspective Shadow Legend may show off some truly awesome talent, and I love to support such talent - with a bigger team these devs could make many of my VR dreams come true, maybe  😄

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

Zenbane said:

😉

It's definitely not just you. As much as I love the level of detail in Skyrim VR - the breathing world (more or less) and the massive scale of quests and content - it lacks proper VR controls (as a left-handed I can't even dissociate weapon hand from movement/locomotion hand). For now I still lack time time to do the job that the devs should have done for a game released in 2018 - like making 1) proper textures, 2) proper high-poly models, 3) improve sound quality etc. . 

The question may be rather simple - how many would enjoy Skyrim VR if you were unable to mod the game?

Another thing - it seems that Shadow Legend was made by just two persons - Blake and Colton. Thus maybe less people worked on Shadow Legend than Doom in 1993... In that perspective Shadow Legend may show off some truly awesome talent, and I love to support such talent - with a bigger team these devs could make many of my VR dreams come true, maybe  😄

Skyrim does require time to invest in modding & i certainly wouldn't rate it without mods, but of course it does have them. I would rather not have to though it's just that VR lacks these bigger single player games.
Thing is i value the art, atmosphere, characters & story highly in a game, pancake or VR & this is something that a smaller team will not be able to invest in in anywhere near the same scale as a true AAA game. Feeding a horse a carrot just isn't as high up on the list for me. Moss for example i rate higher than this game for that very reason interaction is minimal but those other elements are strong.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
Skyrim does require time to invest in modding & i certainly wouldn't rate it without mods, but of course it does have them. I would rather not have to though it's just that VR lacks these bigger single player games.
Thing is i value the art, atmosphere, characters & story highly in a game, pancake or VR & this is something that a smaller team will not be able to invest in in anywhere near the same scale as a true AAA game. Feeding a horse a carrot just isn't as high up on the list for me. Moss for example i rate higher than this game for that very reason interaction is minimal but those other elements are strong.

You're cherry picking the single side feature of feeding a carrot in order to make an otherwise completely irrelevant point. As for you valuing art... no way; you're the same guy who refunded Pixel Ripped because you thought it was an old game with bad graphics. You don't really seem to value art, you just gravitate towards cookie cutter AAA experiences and have no real appreciation for true art.

Skyrim is an exercise in mass repetition. People exaggerate how fun it is to look at mountains and flowers.

Luciferous
Consultant

I am getting sense of Deja Vous.

First you tried to throw cold water on every-bodies enjoyment in the Skyrim VR thread, then you bought it and said.

Zenbane : 'But overall yes, SkyrimVR is fantastic. I enjoyed it for 1 hour straight and that's WITHOUT Modding it yet. It will only get better from here!'

I am not really cutting out anything as the important bit is you are exactly right, it is fantastic overall and the whole makes up for some of it's shoddy parts. After this you continued to give good reports built your character and by all appearances was having a good time.

Now we are back to square one. Hence why it's nice to get other reviews when it comes to Skyrim comparisons.

By the way you aggressively try to shout down anybody with something good to say about it, I am pretty sure Skyrim slept with Morrowind behind your back at some point and you are still sore about it. 🙂

Skyrim VR in a lot of peoples eyes in nothing short of incredible. A lot of us here have put tens, hundreds of hours into it.
if you are trying to convince us that all those hours we have played it we were not enjoying it, you have a futile battle on your hands.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I am getting sense of Deja Vous.

First you tried to throw cold water on every-bodies enjoyment in the Skyrim VR thread, then you bought it and said.
Zenbane : 'But overall yes, SkyrimVR is fantastic. I enjoyed it for 1 hour straight and that's WITHOUT Modding it yet. It will only get better from here!'

I am not really cutting out anything as the important bit is you are exactly right, it is fantastic overall and the whole makes up for some of it's shoddy parts.

Yep, and then I abandoned SkyrimVR fairly quickly once the VR luster wore off and I was back to feeling the monotonous repetition of "clearing dungeons" and playing carrier pigeon to quests. Did you have a point though?

By the way you aggressively try to shout down anybody with something
good to say about it, I am pretty sure Skyrim slept with Morrowind
behind your back at some point and you are still sore about it.

It's a bit strange how you went straight to shady sex acts with your reply, and in a creepily familiar way.

Regardless, I think a key difference is that I put time in to both Vanilla Skyrim and SkyrimVR before giving my opinion. In contrast, you're in this thread without giving any actual first-hand observations of Shadow Legend. So far all you have done is cheer lead anyone who has anything negative to say; all with the intention of defending Skyrim's honor.

Skyrim VR in a lot of peoples eyes in nothing short of incredible. A lot of us here have put tens, hundreds of hours into it. if
you are trying to convince us that all those hours we have played it we
were not enjoying it, you have a futile battle on your hands.

You seem lost in the conversation. Read the first post and try again. This isn't about trying to convince anyone to feel any different about Skyrim. This is about a compare/contrast between two VR RPG's. Being able to grab weapons with your hands, properly have melee battles, and experience true Depth Perception are just some of the things that Shadow Legend does better than SkyrimVR, when comparing two different VR RPG's.

Sorry if the first-hand experience from those who played Shadow Legend infringes upon your SkyrimVR White Knighting. My opinion remains consistent if you read my entire SkyrimVR review.