cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc vr coming to an end.Heres why rift 2 development slowed down and we have only rift s .

inovator
Consultant
Oculus is greatly slowing down pc vr headset development  and yes will develop rift 2 but over a longer period of time than originally planned. Why? Because of 5 g. That will take time since interstructure and everyone adopting it takes time.
 But make no mistake it's coming and will change everything.  Pc vr where you need bigger and better graphics cards etc.will come to an end.  5g will support  stand alone headsets with the power made of dreams. 5g articles are all over Internet. Check it out and you may agree with me.
49 REPLIES 49

inovator
Consultant
It was Brendan Iribe co-founder  and Ceo  of oculus who left abruptly since the rift 2 was halted in favor of rift s. That my friends was the development slow down I was taling about. 5 g isn't the only reason. Stand alone is the main reason. Pc vr will be a niche until it dies. Standalone Mass market is the future. Pc vr isn't the  Facebook  game plan. Its 1 billion people in vr. Pc vr is a tick on a dog. It will never be important in comparison to standalone.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
First of all, "PCVR" isn't just hardware. It is software too. Oculus hasn't slowed with their PCVR software development one bit. We have amazing titles that have been released that require a PC, and plenty more on the way. There is nothing about 5G that is going to allow a mobile platform to play games like Hellblade VR and Lone Echo on the highest settings. That doesn't even make sense.

This thread isn't about 5G anyway, this is about pretending that Console-VR is somehow a leader,
"Playstation vr now is the leader with 4 million in sales by now"

This must be a joke. If we are going to describe a leader based purely on sales, then Google Cardboard is a leader with over 6 million sales.

Oculus has products being used in both Consumer and Commercial markets. PlayStationVR is still just for for video games.

5G is a cellular network which simply doesn't belong anywhere in this conversation. My Oculus GO is "stand alone" and doesn't use a cellular network. It uses WiFi over my home wired connection. Fiber is becoming available which destroys 5G.

This thread makes really bad assumptions about Oculus while also completely warping everything related to Computing and Networking. This discussion needs a do-over. STAT!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@inovator - I understand part of what you are saying, but I don't believe the current Rift is disappearing from sale due to 5g. Why wouldn't they just do away with Rift S, if 5 g is the reason why Oculus is slowing sales of the current Rift? Obviously in the future they will want to continue with stand alone headsets because that's why their bringing Oculus Quest out. But a very powerful stand alone headset is a fair way of and 5g is not the reason why the current Rift is disappearing from certain websites. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@inovator - I understand part of what you are saying, but I don't believe the current Rift is disappearing from sale due to 5g. Why wouldn't they just do away with Rift S, if 5 g is the reason why Oculus is slowing sales of the current Rift? Obviously in the future they will want to continue with stand alone headsets because that's why their bringing Oculus Quest out. But a powerful stand alone headset is a while of and is not the reason why the current Rift is disappearing from certain websites. 

Everyone has home WiFi available now, today. And it's been that way for over a decade. There's nothing that 5G introduces that gives anyone anything new that home Wifi doesn't already achieve. Although 5G does give everyone something bad when we're all sharing the same cellular network.

The future of Home Entertainment for streaming AR, VR, and 4K is NOT 5G... it is Wifi 6.

Home Entertainment involves multi-devices, and WiFi 6 is precisely what consumers need to set up home networking. Just as most, if not all, consumers do today when connecting their PC, Console, and Smart Devices. 5G cellular network will be great for the typical mobile "away from home" users, so that you can watch YouTube easier while on a plane lol

But true network infrastructure and high-end entertainment? Cellular Networks aren't a part of that conversation. Wifi 6, all the way.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

It was Brendan Iribe co-founder  and Ceo  of oculus who left abruptly since the rift 2 was halted in favor of rift s. That my friends was the development slow down I was taling about. 5 g isn't the only reason. Stand alone is the main reason. Pc vr will be a niche until it dies. Standalone Mass market is the future. Pc vr isn't the  Facebook  game plan. Its 1 billion people in vr. Pc vr is a tick on a dog. It will never be important in comparison to standalone.

Just saw this post so ignore my other post. Nobody knows why he left, but if you are correct that's probably more down to cost then anything else. Oculus don't want to create a headset that few people can afford. A Rift S for PC makes perfect sense with the hardware that is available today.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
Just saw this post so ignore my other post. Nobody knows why he left, but if you are correct that's probably more down to cost then anything else. Oculus don't want to create a headset that only few people can afford. A Rift S for PC makes perfect sense with the hardware that is available today.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure he didn't leave Facebook simply because they changed his Internet Connection.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Maybe they put him on 56k Zen as punishment to drive him out  o:)
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

All I get from this topic is that I am gonna be pissed if we are still at 5G mobile speeds 15 years from now when you guys are predicting that PCVR will be dead.

64b5010tudm3.gif

WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Also keep in mind that cellular networks use terms like "4G" and "5G" for marketing! We have not had true 4G available to the public, nor will 5G be "true 5G."

I've read so many articles about this over the years, showing the actual measurement of what true 4G entails compared to what consumers get from cellular companies. Think of it this way: It is worse than Pimax upscaling "4K per eye" and calling it 8K simply because it happens on both eyes. That's what 4G is today... low numbers being marketed as something they are not.

Right now, every major carrier in the US is touting a "4G" network that's either available or being rolled out. Sprint is pushing WiMax. AT&T and Verizon are pushing LTE (Long-Term Evolution). T-Mobile is pushing HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access Evolved). They're all faster than the "3G" speeds than we're used to, with WiMax and HSPA+ delivering consistent, real-world speeds of anywhere from 3Mbps-12Mbps today. But a rep for the ITU told me flatly, "The fact is that there are no IMT-Advanced—or 4G—systems available or deployed at this stage." Calling their newer, faster networks "4G" is "completely marketing" by the carriers, says Gartner analyst Phil Redman.

Or to put it another way... if 4G today was "true 4G" then we wouldn't have needed to wait for the announcement of 5G to start talking about how stand-alone devices relying on a cellular network will eliminate consoles and PC's True 4G has networking capacity to achieve this today. When we finally get 5G, the final product will likely be closer to "true 4G."

Last thing worth mentioning... both a PC and a Console can very easily have a 5G modem installed. So there is literally zero correlation between 5G and the death of PC's and Consoles.

pyroth309
Visionary
So to clarify, The 5G gaming hype that's all over is how mobile will be able to stream PC quality games and be fully portable. It's why steam, Microsoft, Sony and others are all coming out with streaming systems. The gloves are coming off and everyone is about to duke it out to try to be the Netflix of Gaming. But as someone mentioned, you can't beat the speed of light so there is still input lag involved. Streaming VR games that are comparable to what a monster PC can do seems like it's far away to me because of input lag and the server loading that would be involved. That's why I said PC gaming and PCVR will be around at least 15 years. I'm not predicting the death of PC in 15 years but that's my guess with best/worst case scenario of tech implementation.

I used the term 5g theoretical speed because as Zen posted about 4G, Theoretical is never realized. 5G's theoretical speed is 10 gigabits per second. The reality is most people are only going to get about 300-500 megs for a long while. It will likely be "7G" before we get true 5G.

At some point though, with the diminishing return of graphics and the increasing power of small form factor/mobile chipsets that the graphical gap between the two platforms will be small enough that the vast majority will choose mobile and that's when PC gaming would officially be dead. Much like there's people still playing Atari's though, there will still be some people with pc's for a long time.