New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,572 Valuable Player
edited March 15 in General

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/865600

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-presented-by-oculus/865635

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 463
    Trinity
    edited March 15
    I wonder what it'll be called.

Will they run with what the community named it and call it "Rift-S" ?

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,572 Valuable Player

Rift-S makes it sound like an iPhone series lol

I hope they change the name for the final product. If not, all the anti-Oculus folks will dub it, "Rift-Sucks" lol
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    With the current Rift showing as sold out on a lot of websites, could this also mean that it's arrival is imminent? Like much sooner then we think?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,203 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm braced, and officially excited.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.449)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,055 Valuable Player
    All naive wishes aside my gut tells me its a Wired Quest without the SoC, at an even cheaper price. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    I'm really hoping for:
    1. Increased FoV
    2. Reduced Screen Door
    3. Reduced God Rays
    4. Improved Black Levels
    5. Eye Tracking
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,203 Volunteer Moderator
    The biggy for me is increased pixels per degree and we know that's a definite.
    Then reduced godrays/improved contrast, also I think a definite.
    Increases FOV would be great, even a small increase.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.449)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,687 Valuable Player
    I'm really fond of my 3 sensors and love the tracking. Unless Oculus can make even better tracking somehow (and not just "nearly as good"), I'd greatly appreciate being able to use my sensors with a new HMD. 

Well not sure I'll upgrade soon, I really love my Rift CV1. We have a special bond, I even like the SDE to some degree - like scanlines in my MAME arcade games :blush:
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,144 Valuable Player
    I can see a lot of rift cv1s going cheap with one sensor if it does support them.

maybe you could save it for playing pixel rift RunesR2.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,194
    Wintermute
    I'm really hoping that if a Rift "something" is released, that they don't use unified software for both Rifts.
    I won't be upgrading yet, it's just too early for me, so I would not be looking forward to a new round of software "updates" and their associated problems.

Disclaimer: I know references were found to Rift "S" and cameras in the Rift's software, but I can still hope.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,765 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I'm really hoping for:
    1. Increased FoV
    2. Reduced Screen Door
    3. Reduced God Rays
    4. Improved Black Levels
    5. Eye Tracking
    My guess is all the above with exception of Eye Tracking.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Richooal said:
    I'm really hoping that if a Rift "something" is released, that they don't use unified software for both Rifts.
    I won't be upgrading yet, it's just too early for me, so I would not be looking forward to a new round of software "updates" and their associated problems.

Disclaimer: I know references were found to Rift "S" and cameras in the Rift's software, but I can still hope.
    I doubt they will be making an entirely new PCVR SDK for this "Rift-S." You will likely have to deal with software updates. That's the price of a platform!
  • davejohnblackdavejohnblack Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Maybe they figured out how to use the usb c port of a quest to connect to virtual link...
    (Would be quite similar to the new HTC, but with built in "phone").

Although if I had to wish, it would have higher resolution, less screen door(high fill factor lcd/filter) and built in wireless.

David
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,055 Valuable Player
    I'll be back for the epic Told You So on monday :neutral:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    lol - well there is still a decent chance that this is all just a rumor; and nothing about Rift-S will be revealed. GAH!
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    All naive wishes aside my gut tells me its a Wired Quest without the SoC, at an even cheaper price. 
    Considering how fast it's dropping, it's probably a safe guess lol. That's what my gut is telling me as well. If it had been later this year I might have been more optimistic. Hopefully we're wrong. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited March 16
    Is this the CV2 we've been waiting for? At $600 the price is about right. We were led to believe this is due out next year. I'm quite surprised to see how many quality games the Quest has coming out!
    Do our paid Rift games work on these if they got enough power? Same then for this new Rift S?

edited March 16
    Zenbane said:
    lol - well there is still a decent chance that this is all just a rumor; and nothing about Rift-S will be revealed. GAH!
    True. But, if it is releasing this quick since the Iribe incident and with the state of the market right now (high end GPU's cost per performance metrics) the Rift-S is probably just a sub 300 buck PCVR headset to try to get more people in VR. Especially since it appears Oculus has stopped producing the CV1. It bites for us who want cutting edge stuff but it is what it is. 
    No, I doubt we will see automatic cross-compatibility between Quest/Rift.

Each platform has its own storefront, nothing is being shared (for now). But I honestly don't see that as a problem since each platform has its own exclusives. I don't really see a reason to have the same game(s) across all devices. But then again, I'm more casual with gaming so I don't really have a need to make sure a game is available on every device.
    edited March 16
    Not to overanalyze a rumor but, to expand upon my thinking...

If the Rift-S is just a quest without the SoC it kind of confirms my suspicions that VR just needs more power than is available. (Outside of outrageous price points for average gamers). As I mentioned when I bought my Odyssey+, it was eye opening at how far away we are from me getting the kind of clarity I want. I ran into several games that had performance problems that I didn't on the Rift. And it is a relatively small bump in resolution. The amount of power I needed to super sample the O+ significantly, coupled with the results not being worth the loss of performance made me realize we're far off from the clarity I'd like. So I can't blame Oculus for going this route until something like foveated rendering is ready to leap us forward. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,104 Valuable Player

I have it on VERY good authority that the Rift S is going to be called the Rift Harv. You heard it here first. True story.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 225
    Nexus 6
    edited March 16
    My money's ready if they are...anticipation!!

My dust collecting O+ (for the same reasons pyroth309 stated) will be sold at a loss...LOL!!!  Though, thinking about it, I might just keep it for testing and comparison purposes.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    edited March 16
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Is this the CV2 we've been waiting for? At $600 the price is about right. We were led to believe this is due out next year. I'm quite surprised to see how many quality games the Quest has coming out!
    Do our paid Rift games work on these if they got enough power? Same then for this new Rift S?

@MAC_MAN86 - You are having a laugh when you say $600 is about right aren't you? The Oculus Quest is only £399 and Rift S is connected to a PC, so it doesn't even need things like the Snapdragon processor etc. I wouldn't pay $600 for a Rift S, I think it should come in cheaper then the Oculus Quest given it will be a like an Oculus Quest that uses your PC's hardware instead.

I think $600 might put people straight off, I know it would me.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,767 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'm really fond of my 3 sensors and love the tracking. Unless Oculus can make even better tracking somehow (and not just "nearly as good"), I'd greatly appreciate being able to use my sensors with a new HMD. 

Well not sure I'll upgrade soon, I really love my Rift CV1. We have a special bond, I even like the SDE to some degree - like scanlines in my MAME arcade games :blush:
    Aren't you the guy who cranks up the super sampling to 2.0 even if it kills your frame rate? But you love the SDE? :)
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    Oculus Rift S relvealed, Oculus Quest now be available to buy and more updates for Go I think will happen at GDC.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 582
    Neo
    edited March 16
    As long as it keep or betters the present rifts FOV, reduces SDE and GR, and can match or better the higher screen res of the WMR headsets, then we are onto a winner, and anything else on top of that is pure cream, can't wait....oh and for the love of god do not follow the Vive pricing structure, i can trade my present rift in towards the new S, but not if we are taking silly Vive type money. lol
    edited March 16
    Am I missing something here? Why are some people thinking the Rift S could be expensive? My thinking is the Rift S is like an Oculus Quest, but it uses PC hardware instead. How could that make it more expensive then Oculus Quest when an Oculus Quest needs a snapdragon processor and the Rift S doesn't? Please tell me if I'm missing something here in regards to pricing? If eye tracking is added that could increase the price, but I can't think of anything else that would make it more expensive then Oculus Quest. Infact it should be cheaper then Oculus Quest given it will be using PC hardware.
    RedRizla said:
    Am I missing something here? Why are some people thinking the RIft S could be expensive? My thinking is the Rift S is like an Oculus Quest, but it uses PC hardware instead. How could that make it more expensive then Oculus Quest when an Oculus Quest needs a snapdragon processor and the Rift S doesn't? Please tell me if I'm missing something here in regards to pricing? If eye tracking is added that could increase the price, but I can't think of anything else that would make it more expensive then Oculus Quest. Infact it should be cheaper given it will be using PC hardware.
    Depends on the Resolution, FoV, and other features of the HMD. The final product specs and features will determine the final pricing. Yes the snapdragon processor adds overhead to Quest, but that could easily be matched with state-of-the art visuals that surpass Quest.

In all likelihood though, Rift-S will either be the same or slightly cheaper. Just a few more days and then we get to move away from speculating about specs and price... and move towards speculating about the death of PCVR.
    mmmm yummy
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 463
    Trinity
    edited March 16
    RedRizla said:
    Am I missing something here? Why are some people thinking the Rift S could be expensive? My thinking is the Rift S is like an Oculus Quest, but it uses PC hardware instead. How could that make it more expensive then Oculus Quest when an Oculus Quest needs a snapdragon processor and the Rift S doesn't? Please tell me if I'm missing something here in regards to pricing? If eye tracking is added that could increase the price, but I can't think of anything else that would make it more expensive then Oculus Quest. Infact it should be cheaper then Oculus Quest given it will be using PC hardware.
    It won't be expensive.

The days of Oculus headed by Brenden Iribe are gone; and it's a good thing. Expensive hardware made by a small company (prone to design flaws) are gone. 
    Now are the days of an affordable consumer headset with a multibillion dollar research and development arm backing it.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale