Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Mradr - I'm trying to work out what you are saying. Are you saying Oculus should make an expensive headset that only the rich people of this world can afford? Because if you that makes no sense what so ever to me. Who is going to continue to create software for something only a small amount of people own? Oculus want to sell millions of VR headsets not just hundreds or thousands, but millions. You can't reach that goal by making a headset that costs a fortune. But maybe I've misunderstood what you are trying to say.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

In correct - analog been doing fine without software for a long time.

You're jumping the shark there.

Software isn't need for everything. Instructions and software are not the same thing even though they work the same way.

Software is literally a set of instructions.

I already gave an example of why hardware would get better without the need of software -

Incorrect. You made a general statement about hardware and intentionally ignored the role software plays in that hardware getting better.

Hardware can still exist and function just fine without software.

Are you still talking about computers? Regardless, you said yourself that "software is just a thought," so no... there isn't a piece of hardware that exists today that wasn't created as a result of "thought." By your own admission, all hardware requires software (thought) to work.

Software on the other hand can't live without hardware
Wrong. Using your own example about the "beads" to help with Math. The Math (software) came first, and the hardware comes second. Do you know what the first real computer is? The human brain. And the brain can very much carry out the Software (thought) that humans invent. Hardware came later when our brains proved to have limitations. Software first, sugar pie.

Software doesn't care what resolution you are running at

The Drivers (software) dictate otherwise. Uninstall all your drivers on your PC and let me know how that hardware works out for ya

😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@Mradr - I'm trying to work out what you are saying. Are you saying Oculus should make an expensive headset that only the rich people of this world can afford? Because if you that makes no sense what so ever to me. Who is going to continue to create software for something only a small amount of people own? Oculus want to sell millions of VR headsets not just hundreds or thousands, but millions. You can't reach that goal by making a headset that costs a fortune. But maybe I've misunderstood what you are trying to say.

To get an idea of what Mradr is saying... just look at HTC. They made expensive hardware first, before there was enough software demand to warrant global consumer adoption. The result? 9 straight quarters of financial loss, and then selling IP to Google to avoid Bankruptcy.

That's what happens when someone puts hardware first and software second. Financial ruin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
The problem is you said there would be no need - the problem is that
humans always have a been creating things before there really is a need.

Exactly. Humans created software before there was a need. Then hardware was developed to support it.

It's no different than what we are doing right now with SSD and faster channel memory.

All memory storage is controlled by Software.

A customer doesn't need a SATA 4 speed when SATA3 is good enough for
nearly 99% of the applications out there already - yet - we still have
customer grade NvMe drives with read speeds in gig ranges.

That "99%" figure is a fictitious number. The need increased due to the demand of Data (software) increasing. The current quote for data processing is, "There are 2.5 quintillion bytes of data created each day." That's software, and that creates the need for increase processing speed, memory, and storage.

There are plenty of reasons why to make hardware better or faster
without the need or thought of software controlling it in the first
place.
Hardware cannot function without the software telling it what to do.

Going back to the oj topic - if Rift S is no better than Quest - then
software wise - we wont be seeing a 4k pretty game with a ton of eye
candy.

Invalid assumption. Rift-S can be the same as Quest as an HMD specification, but the software ecosystem on a PC will drive it forward, and GPU's can respond to the demand of experiencing 4K in VR (software).

I just gave an examle of a tool that wasn't built for that reason:) so no - a tool doesn't have to be developed for that reason - it can be made by mistake and later used as another tool. One cool thing about humans - we can make anything into a tool - but that doesn't mean we created the tool in the first place. Much to that - hardware can be created before software has a need for it or even a want. 

That is true sweetie 😄 but you are wrong - I said it on purpous - but the idea that NvMe for customers is a bit pointless when customers themselves don't chunk that much data per day on their local device. SATA3 speed limits are already good enough for the 99% of the applications they're going to need such as for gaming, basic web stuff, and opening and closing applications. I think you are confusing customer grade with workstation grade or even enterprise grade of hardware.

Again sweetie - hardware can function just fine without software telling it what to do:)

Na, it's no different than my question before - if you could play on either of these witch would you pick:
 A system running at 1080p 120 FPS or a 4k at 60 FPS on a monitor that runs at 1080p or 4k at 60 Hzs?

The only different is that the resolution or the monitor is going to be the same - you wont be able to get 4k res out of Quest/Rift S (if they are same spec) no matter how well your computer is or what hardware you are running with it. At best what you will trigger is SS or super sampling that will help with the recreation of a better looking image - but its still going to be running at whatever resolution your monitor supports as it is a physical limit of what can be display. Over all - it'll run MUCH MUCH smoother and you can have more objects loaded into the game - but visually it would still look the same in terms of resolution.  Granted - there is more to a visual and reaction than just resolution - I do wonder how they will look and function once they come out and are in hands on everyone.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
I just gave an examle of a tool that wasn't built for that reason:) so
no - a tool doesn't have to be developed for that reason - it can be
made by mistake and later used as another tool. One cool thing about
humans - we can make anything into a tool - but that doesn't mean we
created the tool in the first place. Much to that - hardware can be
created before software has a need for it or even a want.

This is a bit of a messy argument, but even if I were to agree, the flaw here is that you are creating an exception and treating it as the rule. That is invalid. The exception to the rule is not the rule.

SATA3 speed limits are already good enough for the 99% of the applications

That fictitious 99% figure completely ignores global enterprise. Fake news!

hardware can function just fine without software telling it what to do

False.

if you could play on either of these witch would you pick:
 A system running at 1080p 120 FPS or a 4k at 60 FPS on a monitor that runs at 1080p or 4k at 60 Hzs?

This is a software dependent question.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We'll technically HTC didn't make expensive hardware, unless you think the Rift being £10 cheaper is a big deal. What they failed to do was cut the price to match the Rift's price.

Unless of course you're referring to the Vive Pro? They certainly cocked up with that one.

And my human brain is a supercomputer B)

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

There is like 5 different convocations going on LOL. Honestly - I can keep up with all of them - but boy does it confuse everyone else XD

1) No, I think a low price headset is a wonderful idea 😄 no one ask me what I thought about a lower price point:) Zen sweetie should really watch out putting words into people mouths like that though:) it's going to cost him sooner or later.
2) With that said - there are two markets that everyone is looking at wanting - the higher end and the lower end. Both have pros and cons to their wants and needs.
3) People wanting the low end in cost are wishing for higher cost items and that doesn't make sense. For example, increasing the resolution + the fov + keep the same or lower hardware entry requirements + keep the old tracking method + a lower price point? I think that is some wishful thinking there:) Something will have to give up the ghost or we they increase the price.
4) Software VS Hardware and why its a good idea to boost hardware just a bit so software can scale into the hardware better.
5) Zen and I are discussing what came first - hardware or the software - the chicken or the egg 😄

@ Zen - if the brain is the first computer:) it would be hardware base - software didn't come around until many generation of life. The brain it self is just a bunch of neurons that forum a lump of matter that just had basic input output - we still see life forms with this basic biology still. Therefore - if your arguments if going to solo base on what came first of that - then it was hardware not software.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
@ Zen - if the brain is the first computer:) it would be hardware base - software didn't come around until many generation of life. The brain it self is just a bunch of neurons that forum a lump of matter that just had basic input output - we still see life forms with this basic biology still. Therefore - if your arguments if going to solo base on what came first of that - then it was hardware not software.

Ah yes, I did anticipate that you would consider the brain "hardware." But now we must explore the inner workings of "life" and how it is created. What comes first, the brain or the mind? The Brain may be the hardware, but the Mind is the Software.

Afterall, the mind is not confined to the brain.

This argument has taken quite the turn!

"In yogic science, the brain is simply a physical manifestation of the mind itself. "
Based on this theory... the Software came first, and the Hardware was secondary.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

"In yogic science, the brain is simply a physical manifestation of the mind itself. "
Based on this theory... the Software came first, and the Hardware was secondary.

That hurt my brain just trying to get my head around it  😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Ah yes, I did anticipate that you would consider the brain "hardware." But now we must explore the inner workings of "life" and how it is created. What comes first, the brain or the mind? The Brain may be the hardware, but the Mind is the Software.

lol yogic science will always win LOL

Real science says that the hardware came first - input output - follow by reaction responses - and because I dont fully understand everything I am reading - specialize zones of actions to sensory data then finally logic and reasoning:) our "mind" came from that point on. True fact - our brains still grow and change until our late 20s. You are not the same "you" as a kid. Basically - the hardware was strong enough to run DOS - then follow into linux follow by a more complex OS such Windows Bob:)