Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Real science says that the hardware came first

No sir. Both science and history illustrate that software came first, in the form of Algorithms as far back as 300 BCE.

I'll say it again, as you have not countered historical and scientific fact:

Charles
Babbage invented the “Analytical Engine” (a computer made out of gear
wheels and levers and stuff) - that would have been the “first computer”
during Victorian times.

Ada
Lovelace (a rich countess with a fondness for math and science -
daughter of the poet Byron) took it upon herself to write a description
of the machine - and included a program that she (probably) wrote in her
description.

Since
Babbage never did finish building the Analytical Engine - Ada’s
software existed for almost 100 years before the first working computers
came along.

Software came first according to science and history.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We also found the first gate logic even before then alone back in Egypt - gate logic was even before math  it self! 1 and 0 / on and off before written history. Tools were created along side man as they found them to be useful - aka hardware existed in nature that was already producing computer like effects before man even existed. Heck nature was producing nuclear energy correct before we found out not to eat it XD 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Before Man created tools, they created ideas (software) and then they created the tools (hardware) to help Implement those ideas.

There is no example in the history of Humanity, Earth, or the Cosmos that puts Hardware before Software.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm starting to think we need God himself to sort this argument out  😄

I'm here.
Without reading everything that's been typed... it's too much! I would just like to chime in on the software or hardware debate (sorry if I repeat anything already said) but.....
software and hardware organically evolve together, I'd say they both remain successful, provided one doesn't jump too far ahead of the other cos that's when things could stall.
Especially if the hardware and software in question is very confined in respect to choice of what's available and what's technically possible.

The Vive Pro only makes sense to enterprise users who have a business case, Pimax only makes sense to people who can risk throwing that kind of money at what seems to be emerging to be a flawed device. There just aren't enough people in those 2 camps to sustain an industry where all the players push too fast or charge too much.

Organic evolution is what we must have.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,
Just want to throw my two cents in that Hardware vs Software debate as well ^^.

I think you guys should take a look at the best Asian philosophy point ever: the yin and the yang. That's a concept called Duality.
By definition, a duality is a junction of two concepts that are both totally opposite and totally dependent. One is nothing without the other.
That's exactly what the hardware/software relationship is.

The original question was: "what drives the sales, software or hardware?". The answer, obviously, is: both. VR headsets won't sell well without great apps, but said great apps wouldn't sell if there was no headset for us to play it.

For example, let's say we're designing a flying car. You develop the software for the embedded system (software), but you struggle to design the vehicle itself. Will you be able to sell the software you managed to create? Absolutely not : there's no car to run it. On the other hand, if you manage to make the flying car but struggle to write the software, you won't sell much vehicle either.

Another example: If each next-gen console sells well, it's not only because of the games. It's also because the consoles are more powerful than the previous ones. Try and create a brand new console that is only as powerful as the Dreamcast, you'll see how people react.

Another less hypothetical example? Just take the number of people who consider current VR is not good enough for them. They don't even care about the games on it: as long as the visual clarity (hence: hardware) is not good enough, they won't buy it.

Again, this is a Yin/Yang situation. Without hardware evolution, you'll hit a rock even with the best software you can do. Without software evolution, you'll drown with your powerful hardware.
Each concept is highly dependent on the other. Hardware is improved to run better software ; Software is improved to create better hardware.

In the end, there are four solutions to get:

- bad hardware with bad software,
- bad hardware with good software,
- good hardware with bad software,
- good hardware with good software,

The best solution among them is obvious, so obvious I can't believe you've been arguing about that.
As for the n°2, that one is highly subjective so then again, there's no need to argue. Some will prefer good hardware with poor software (i.e: VR headset with arcade games) while others will prefer poor hardware with good software (i.e: pancake gaming: great games but with limited controllers 🙂 ).

So stop trying to prove each other wrong, you are both right xD!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

RuneSR2 said:

I'm really fond of my 3 sensors and love the tracking. Unless Oculus can make even better tracking somehow (and not just "nearly as good"), I'd greatly appreciate being able to use my sensors with a new HMD. 

Well not sure I'll upgrade soon, I really love my Rift CV1. We have a special bond, I even like the SDE to some degree - like scanlines in my MAME arcade games :blush:

Aren't you the guy who cranks up the super sampling to 2.0 even if it kills your frame rate? But you love the SDE? 🙂

Yup - but ss 2.0 doesn't kill my frame rate. In Shadow Legend I mostly get solid 90 fps. Same in a most other games like for example Moss, Mage's Tale, Transference, Beat Saber,  Torn, Transpose, Fisherman's Tale, Windlands 2 etc. - but of course there are games like Lone Echo and Obduction where you have to chose between "90 fps + ss < 2" or "45 fps asw + ss=2", where I often prefer the latter. 
If we get a new HMD with higher res that may mean I won't need to crank up ss as much a now. Not really trying to defend SDE, but our brains fill in the holes, which is why SDE to some extend may help produce a perceived sharper picture and help disguise some pixels, much the same happens when using scanlines in MAME arcade games (image quality looks more sharp, like using a higher res). I read that some users trying higher res in WMR HMDs experienced a more "PC-like" image where you more easily could see individual pixels (and needed antialiasing to a higher extend), which diminished their immersion. My point being that SDE and the CV1 lenses may help provide a special illusion. For games where I constantly move I rarely notice SDE (and god rays), but yes SDE and god rays are annoying when watching movies. 

My main problem with higher res is that it probably will require more GPU power to get 90 fps (like Vive Pro, even HTC admitted that the higher res wasn't free). Currently a lot of users seem happy for CV1 ss 1.0, but if you increase HMD res by 80% (or something like that) getting 90 fps in current Rift CV1 games will require rendering a lot more pixels. Since I'm already pushing many more pixel than ss 1.0 requires, I'm not very concerned about my own performance, but the last thing VR needs right now is to make it even more inaccessible to common users. Interesting if Oculus can make a higher res HMD compared to CV1 without increasing hardware requirements (foveated rendering could be one method, but I'd be surprised to see that in 2019)... 

The main question for me may be if Rift-S + ss 1.5 is significantly better than Rift CV1 + ss 2.0 (plus tracking considerations of course)...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Not to overanalyze a rumor but, to expand upon my thinking...

If the Rift-S is just a quest without the SoC it kind of confirms my suspicions that VR just needs more power than is available. (Outside of outrageous price points for average gamers). As I mentioned when I bought my Odyssey+, it was eye opening at how far away we are from me getting the kind of clarity I want. I ran into several games that had performance problems that I didn't on the Rift. And it is a relatively small bump in resolution. The amount of power I needed to super sample the O+ significantly, coupled with the results not being worth the loss of performance made me realize we're far off from the clarity I'd like. So I can't blame Oculus for going this route until something like foveated rendering is ready to leap us forward. 

This is much in line with my previous post. I think Oculus easily could make a new HMD with awesome specs if they wanted to - but what's the point if you can't even get 90 fps using a 2080 Ti... Already using the old 2160x1200 res games like Lone Echo and Robe Recall easily require a 2080 Ti for solid 90 fps and optimal image quality. It seems we often tend to forget that fact. Personally I'd love 4K - or 8K - HMD res in 90 fps in high-poly games like upcoming Lone Echo 2 and Stormland, but unless GPU power requirements somehow are reduced that may require 2 to 4x the power of a GTX 1080 (Ti) or RTX 2070/2080 (non-Ti). - ok. maybe less if there limited need for antialiasing due to the res, but you get the idea...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
This is much in line with my previous post. I think Oculus easily could make a new HMD with awesome specs if they wanted to - but what's the point if you can't even get 90 fps using a 2080 Ti... Already using the old 2160x1200 res games like Lone Echo and Robe Recall easily require a 2080 Ti for solid 90 fps and optimal image quality. It seems we often tend to forget that fact. Personally I'd love 4K - or 8K - HMD res in 90 fps in high-poly games like upcoming Lone Echo 2 and Stormland, but unless GPU power requirements somehow are reduced that may require 2 to 4x the power of a GTX 1080 (Ti) or RTX 2070/2080 (non-Ti). - ok. maybe less if there limited need for antialiasing due to the res, but you get the idea...

Yea Lone Echo was one I was referring to that gave me problems with my Odyssey+ with performance that I didn't with the Rift. I will say though once I got it fine tuned it looked incredible. There's definitely some benefits to the higher res for sure. I've noticed recently with the swapping to my 49" TV to my Rift to my O+ and all around, that the FoV of the Rift bothers me a lot more recently. It never did in the past. Kind of disappointed if we don't get at least a ten degree bump. 

LZoltowski
Champion
A Quick reminder that "Fixing" other peoples comments by quoting them then changing the content is not allowed. Thanks.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂