cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  😄

https://youtu.be/Yz_QVEzVmfk

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

118 REPLIES 118

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
Replace carrot feeding with any of the interactions in the game, the point is the same it didn't make it a better game than Skyrim VR for me.  

We can compare carrot feeding to dungeon clearing in SkyrimVR, and they can be the same game practically lol

Besides, this thread is about comparing the two and finding out what one does better than the other. There's a lot that Shadow Legend does better than SkyrimVR, and people outside this forum have noticed it as well. I already provided examples of those sources. There is nothing you have presented to counter that.

You did the same thing when someone started the Pixel Ripped thread:

Anytime someone enjoys a game that is outside of your comfort zone, you take it as a personal slight. I think opposing views are beneficial when those views are actually constructive. But your views on rarely constructive.

Pixel ripped was refunded because it was not fun to play, there was not
much i liked about it at all & no point to continue to play it.

nah, you specifically said that "it has terrible vr implementation."
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/630478/#Comment_630478

Which is a comment I'm pretty sure you simply made up at the time for the sake of arguing; because if you actually cared about VR Implementation then you'd know that Shadow Legend beats SkyrimVR hands down in terms of VR Implementation. Just as was pointed out in the review article and on reddit.

Good to see you are back to your usual obnoxious self btw.  

Pot/Kettle

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

saami81 said:

Why it has to be either this or that?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone only buy one or the other; the two products are simply being compared.

I mean, even I bought and own two copies of Skyrim lol. Because that's what Skyrim does... re-invent itself at full retail price.
😛

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:
Replace carrot feeding with any of the interactions in the game, the point is the same it didn't make it a better game than Skyrim VR for me.  

We can compare carrot feeding to dungeon clearing in SkyrimVR, and they can be the same game practically lol

Besides, this thread is about comparing the two and finding out what one does better than the other. There's a lot that Shadow Legend does better than SkyrimVR, and people outside this forum have noticed it as well. I already provided examples of those sources. There is nothing you have presented to counter that.

You did the same thing when someone started the Pixel Ripped thread:

Anytime someone enjoys a game that is outside of your comfort zone, you take it as a personal slight. I think opposing views are beneficial when those views are actually constructive. But your views on rarely constructive.

Pixel ripped was refunded because it was not fun to play, there was not
much i liked about it at all & no point to continue to play it.

nah, you specifically said that "it has terrible vr implementation."
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/630478/#Comment_630478

Which is a comment I'm pretty sure you simply made up at the time for the sake of arguing; because if you actually cared about VR Implementation then you'd know that Shadow Legend beats SkyrimVR hands down in terms of VR Implementation. Just as was pointed out in the review article and on reddit.

Good to see you are back to your usual obnoxious self btw.  

Pot/Kettle

It did have terrible vr implementation because the gamepad kept disappearing when i moved my head which was one reason it wasn't fun & i have never said at any point that Shadow Legend did not have better vr implementation than SkyrimVR so not entirely sure what your point is here. This is even pointed out in my own review. 
"The game mechanics are good, has all the right options.
Interaction is very good, some of it is gimmicky or i should say doesn't add a huge amount to the game play but some things really did work well like bidding in the shop. 
Graphics are a mixed bag, the character models, animals & weapons are poor imo but the environment was mostly well made.  
I found the art style a bit generic & lacking its own identity, although this is an issue with alot of vr titles. 
Gameplay is basic & felt more dungeon crawler than rpg it was also really easy. Its short but if i'm honest i couldn't see myself playing it for a long time anyway. 
I didn't really gel with the melee, i felt sorry for the baddies that they had to make it so obvious where they was hitting me. 
A good game if comparing to recent vr titles but i think there will certainly be better this year.
 In this thread I said for me it didn't make it a better game than Skyrim because i value the things its does better. 
I find your behaviour odd tbh as to why those things clearly upset you so much. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
It did have terrible vr implementation because the gamepad kept disappearing when i moved my head

That was a bug unique to you. This is nothing I experienced after playing the game to completion; nor did I ever read any reports of this.

As for your review, I do find it to be on the same level as other reviews you've given; highly inaccurate and lacking in substance. I mean... to claim that SL's graphics and characters are "poor" is just absurd; especially compared to some of those dragons in Skyrim which I described as looking like a paper mache following a string. The dragons in Crystal Rift and Chronos were far more immersive and had a stronger sense of presence.

The fact is that you and I have a long history arguing over game reviews, and each time I call you out for the obvious: if a game is not of AAA caliber by a AAA studio yet it is STILL receiving high praises on reviews, you seem to feel insulted and compelled to remedy the situation lol. Yet the content of your writeups are plagued with inconsistencies and generalizations.

That's why I like to reference our debate of The Forest VR. At release it was a huge epic fail and it was criticized literally everywhere (Steam, reddit, Facebook, YouTube, etc) but because The Forest is originally a pancake game that received high praises and meets your AAA requirements, the fact that the VR Port was horrifying became irrelevant in your eyes. You were overly and excessively forgiving and granted it pure adoration.

I think you are confusing fervor with anger. So far you are the only one who seems angry considering you have already resorted to namecalling when you said this, "your usual obnoxious self." You do have a history of getting emotional when debating game reviews with me though. I sense some ALL CAPS incoming soon!

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:
It did have terrible vr implementation because the gamepad kept disappearing when i moved my head

That was a bug unique to you. This is nothing I experienced after playing the game to completion; nor did I ever read any reports of this.

As for your review, I do find it to be on the same level as other reviews you've given; highly inaccurate and lacking in substance. I mean... to claim that SL's graphics and characters are "poor" is just absurd; especially compared to some of those dragons in Skyrim which I described as looking like a paper mache following a string. The dragons in Crystal Rift and Chronos were far more immersive and had a stronger sense of presence.

The fact is that you and I have a long history arguing over game reviews, and each time I call you out for the obvious: if a game is not of AAA caliber by a AAA studio yet it is STILL receiving high praises on reviews, you seem to feel insulted and compelled to remedy the situation lol. Yet the content of your writeups are plagued with inconsistencies and generalizations.

That's why I like to reference our debate of The Forest VR. At release it was a huge epic fail and it was criticized literally everywhere (Steam, reddit, Facebook, YouTube, etc) but because The Forest is originally a pancake game that received high praises and meets your AAA requirements, the fact that the VR Port was horrifying became irrelevant in your eyes. You were overly and excessively forgiving and granted it pure adoration.

I think you are confusing fervor with anger. So far you are the only one who seems angry considering you have already resorted to namecalling when you said this, "your usual obnoxious self." You do have a history of getting emotional when debating game reviews with me though. I sense some ALL CAPS incoming soon!

1.Any review or opinion about a game is my own that does not need to be justified to you, the fact that you dream up such lies & fantasy about me is most certainly weird (although completely normal for you it seems). I couldn't care less if you think SL has better graphics & characters thats why you get to do your own review Zenbane. 
2.You have a long history of arguing with many people in here normally in similar fashion.
Show me where i'm insulted by others reviews on here? it was actually you that was insulted by my score as you decided to LOL at my 7 score https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/73722/shadow-legend-reviews-and-impressions-better-...;
3.You are obsessed by The Forest VR Zenbane not me a game if i recall you never actually played yet seem to have very strong opinions about, i drop in & out of it now & again as its a wip but i doubt its even in my top 50 vr titles. 
4.Obnoxious is a description of your behaviour, as is 'odd' & 'weird'. It seems everyone else on here is far less emotionally invested than you are to Oculus & are able to have a normal discussion without trying to defame other members who hold different opinions.     

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
1.Any review or opinion about a game is my own that does not need to be justified to you
Just as you have commented on the reviews others make, I also comment on your reviews. It works both ways; which seems to bother you.

the fact that you dream up such lies & fantasy about me is most certainly weird

That's a creepily emotional response.

You have a long history of arguing with many people in here normally in similar fashion.

I have a longer history of enjoying conversations with like-minded individuals.

Show me where i'm insulted by others reviews on here? it was actually you that was insulted by my score as you decided to LOL

You were the first to get emotional and resort to name-calling. You're still typing emotional responses instead of sticking to the facts, which is very common for you.

You are obsessed by The Forest VR Zenbane not me a game if i recall you
never actually played yet seem to have very strong opinions about, i
drop in & out of it now & again as its a wip but i doubt its
even in my top 50 vr titles.
Having a good memory is not an obsession. I remember how you didn't care about "VR implementation" with that game, and then you proceed to jump in to other threads to criticize titles in ways that contradict the excuses you made for The Forest. You tried to derail the Pixel Ripped thread, and you are trying to do the same thing here. When I returned the favor in your Forest VR thread, you went absolutely ballistic!
You seem obsessed with ridiculing games others enjoy yet you get overly emotional if someone ridicules a game you enjoy.

Obnoxious is a description of your behaviour, as is 'odd' & 'weird'.
It seems everyone else on here is far less emotionally invested than
you are to Oculus & are able to have a normal discussion without
trying to defame other members who hold different opinions.   

Shadow Legend was not developed by Oculus, nor is it exclusive to the Oculus store. You have a strange obsession with tying me directly to Oculus. You can't seem to have a normal discussion without getting personal and emotional.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

then I abandoned SkyrimVR fairly quickly once the VR luster wore off and I was back to feeling the monotonous repetition of "clearing dungeons" and playing carrier pigeon to quests. 

I think that's more or less where I am now - and Skyrim VR is too big for me, with family and kids I have limited time in VR. Smaller games work better in that regard, I prefer to be able to experience many different games (and support the devs) instead  of letting one gigantic game consume all of my time in VR, which easily could be the case first having to find and install 400+ mods and then play 100+ hours of Skyrim VR. 

I may stand corrected when I get my RTX 4080 in 2024 and finally can get 90 fps with all the bells and whistles enabled 😄  

https://youtu.be/SsWXEKEZsJc

https://youtu.be/OCU862nVpJ0

So beware - don't eat your gigantic Skyrim VR cake just yet - because then you know all the quests and may not want to replay the game when Skyrim UltraRealistic VR becomes perfectly playable  B) 

But do enjoy Shadow Legend right now - that game may not at all be better in 2024  😉

Fun observation - maybe - my completely unmodded version of Skyrim VR actually has higher hardware requirements than Shadow Legend. I typically get solid 90 fps in Shadow Legend with maxed graphics settings including supersampling 2.0, but I have to reduce supersampling to something like 1.75/1.8 for similar performance in Skyrim VR. Even though there may be many trees and longer view distance in Skyrim VR, I do believe Shadow Legend is amazingly optimized to provide its utterly amazing graphics and performance. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

nrosko
Superstar

Just as you have commented on the reviews others make, I also comment on your reviews. It works both ways; which seems to bother you.
 1.Commenting on a review that you hold different views & explaining why is one thing, insisting somebody is wrong about their own opinions & then accusing them of various things on a personal level is another. The later is trolling & is what you are doing.   

That's a creepily emotional response.

2.Its your emotional response Zenbane so you figure it out. 

I have a longer history of enjoying conversations with like-minded individuals. 

3.That's your problem though, if they are not like minded your agenda is to troll them.  

You were the first to get emotional and resort to name-calling. You're still typing emotional responses instead of sticking to the facts, which is very common for you.

4.Describing your behaviour is not name calling. 

Having a good memory is not an obsession. I remember how you didn't care about "VR implementation" with that  game, and then you proceed to jump in to other threads to criticize titles in ways that contradict the excuses you made foYou remember . 

5.I didn't care about vr implementation in the forest? what? You are literally making no sense. I have over 400 VR titles Zenbane there are multiple reason why i may or may not like a game. This theory you are trying to construct makes no sense & is just typical of the shitposting you are so fond of.

You tried to derail the Pixel Ripped thread, and you are trying to do the same thing here. When I returned the favor in your Forest VR thread, you went absolutely ballistic! 
You seem obsessed with ridiculing games others enjoy yet you get overly emotional if someone ridicules a game you enjoy. 

6.You quoted me to instigate an argument just as you did that other guy. It seems derailing to you is having a different opinion about anything vr related & not conforming to the same view as you, the derailment is actually your behaviour. Your obsession with me goes back to when i started a thread to ask if anyone had sold their rift for a vive. You bizarrely remembered it from many months previous. Probably took notes. 

Shadow Legend was not developed by Oculus, nor is it exclusive to the Oculus store. You have a strange obsession with tying me directly to Oculus. You can't seem to have a normal discussion without getting personal and emotional.

7.Sure SL is not an Oculus game but was released on home, Skyrim wasn't of course. Again you don't have to look very far to find your emotional investment in Oculus. And there is nothing wrong with that in itself but Its your aggressive hostility towards anything else. Anyway I'm done here I do not have the time or want to spend time arguing on the internet

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
I may stand corrected when I get my RTX 4080 in 2024 and finally can get 90 fps with all the bells and whistles enabled 😄  

https://youtu.be/SsWXEKEZsJc

https://youtu.be/OCU862nVpJ0

So beware - don't eat your gigantic Skyrim VR cake just yet - because then you know all the quests and may not want to replay the game when Skyrim UltraRealistic VR becomes perfectly playable  B) 

I see you enjoy Predcaliber's work too. Love his channel and dedication to modding. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said: 1.Commenting on a review that you hold different views & explaining why is one thing, insisting somebody is wrong about their own opinions & then accusing them of various things on a personal level is another. The later is trolling & is what you are doing.  

I never said you were wrong about your own opinion. I just made an observation based on your trend.

That's your problem though, if they are not like minded your agenda is to troll them. 

Just because someone challenges your opinion doesn't mean it is "trolling." If you can't handle debate then don't start one.

Describing your behaviour is not name calling.

Calling someone "obnoxious" is very much name-callilng; if you can't describe someone's behavior without name-calling then you might not be mature enough for a discussion. If everyone followed your behavior, then I could just run around calling you an "idiot" and claim that I'm just describing your behavior.

I didn't care about vr implementation in the forest? what? You are literally making no sense. I

Of course it makes sense; do you understand what "VR implementation" even means? In The Forest VR you could "wiggle your wrist" and instantly chop trees or insta-kill an enemy. Yet you considered it the best VR experience ever lol. btw, you can't wiggle wrist to insta-kill enemies in Shadow Legend.

I have over 400 VR titles

Assuming that's true, it's too bad you've never been able to share an intriguing review on any of those.

You quoted me to instigate an argument just as you did that other guy.

Incorrect. You and "that other guy" shared a negative opinion but both of you didn't really back that negativity up with anything substantial. So I challenged the opinion to see if there was more to your opinions other than negativity. So far seems the answer is "no."

.Sure SL is not an Oculus game but was released on home, Skyrim wasn't
of course. Again you don't have to look very far to find your emotional
investment in Oculus.

It was not released exclusively on Home, it was released on Steam as well. This isn't about Oculus; you are just obsessed with turning everything in to Oculus - and in a negative way. You've always harbored negativity towards Oculus and you tend to feel compelled to tie me to Oculus even when Oculus isn't the subject matter. You do it so naturally that you don't even realize how it exposes your true bias.

Anyway I'm done here I do not have the time or want to spend time arguing on the internet

I believe you.

Hopefully this thread can get back on track with some valid VR RPG discussion.