New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Does anyone think there is any chance at all that Rift S will be a "mode" for quest?

ie plug a DP or HDMI cable into quest and it enters Rift Static mode?

It would be amazing, a 2 in 1 ...  who knows. However, I see a design issue here. Having a low spec Snapdragon limits the res of the screens a bit. Pixel density has to be low enough for it to work.

That is why I think there will be 2 separate products, Zuck already confirmed 3 distinct verticals, Go, Quest and Rift ... since PC hardware is more powerful they wouldn't have to worry about pixel density/res/fov so much.

Interestingly enough they removed the Oculus Quest web page some time ago from anywhere on the site.

You can still access it here oculus.com/quest 

I wonder if that is because the spec changed?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    quest and rift one product? Ya it would be amazing. A nice dream.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    Quest and rift s one product. That's what dreams are made of. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,550 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Does anyone think there is any chance at all that Rift S will be a "mode" for quest?

Facebook has made it clear that there are 3 entirely separate product lines. Creating a "mode for quest" would combine two products in to one. If someone wants a mode for Quest on their Rift, then buy both a Quest and a Rift. There's your Mode
    :p
    They most likely didnt this first time is because they want to split and get the 3rd store up and running for Quest titles. This way it can focus on Quest stuff and not what Quest with PC hardware can do. This time next refresh cycle - I am sure they will allow for both. -LZ makes a good point - but if it is worry about pixels to screen - then PC hardware still should be able to keep up with it. Mobile in this case is about low entry tier of hardware.

It would be amazing, a 2 in 1 ...  who knows. However, I see a design issue here. Having a low spec Snapdragon limits the res of the screens a bit. Pixel density has to be low enough for it to work.

That is why I think there will be 2 separate products, Zuck already confirmed 3 distinct verticals, Go, Quest and Rift ... since PC hardware is more powerful they wouldn't have to worry about pixel density/res/fov so much.

IF they do split the products - I feel like that is a bit silly as far as value to product scale. I mean the idea is that PC should be better with more features and not just because of better resources though? If Rift S is really just Quest with a cable - isnt that going backwards in terms of  3 distinct verticals?
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Facebook has made it clear that there are 3 entirely separate product lines. Creating a "mode for quest" would combine two products in to one. If someone wants a mode for Quest on their Rift, then buy both a Quest and a Rift. There's your Mode
    They most likely didnt this first time is because they want to split and get the 3rd store up and running for Quest titles. This way it can focus on Quest stuff and not what Quest with PC hardware can do. This time next refresh cycle - I am sure they will allow for both. -LZ makes a good point - but if it is worry about pixels to screen - then PC hardware still should be able to keep up with it. Mobile in this case is about low entry tier of hardware.

From what I have read about from some of the devs, Oculus Quest store will be bundled in with the GO store, the same app on mobile too.

PC App will stay Rift only.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,295 Volunteer Moderator
    I think they need to keep the devices separate. There are big benefits to tailoring the hardware to specific tasks. Money can be spent on higher res for PC connected device, or savings from not having the mobile computing power, battery and memory.

Combing into one device would be a mistake if price is the thing
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)
    edited March 18

From what I have read about from some of the devs, Oculus Quest store will be bundled in with the GO store, the same app on mobile too.

PC App will stay Rift only.
    OH Sorry - let me rephrase - what I mean is that they want to get the section up and going for Quest titles on the Quest hardware before allowing Quest access to more hardware later on. This way they can get devs to target what the Quest can do in terms of hardware and not what the PC can do if that makes sense? So for example, a dev cant just be lazy and say "if it works on the PC they I dont need to fix anything - Quest users should just use a PC with their Quest".
    edited March 18
    I think they need to keep the devices separate. There are big benefits to tailoring the hardware to specific tasks. Money can be spent on higher res for PC connected device, or savings from not having the mobile computing power, battery and memory.

Combing into one device would be a mistake if price is the thing
    I think you are correct if they combine and never did the 3 distinct verticals. If they do though - and CV2 would come out with gun blazing compare to the other two - I think there would still be enough differences it wouldnt matter in terms if one device had access to both platforms (PC and mobile) because it be limited to what the mobile can handle in the first place anyways (aka limited to what they can support in resolution for example). While a CV2 could have a larger screen and more tracking cameras follow by other features such as eye tracking or focal point tracking. That would still give enough reason for the end customer to pick what headset to go for.

Granted from their point of view - it would be far better to just remove the mobile half and resell the headset at a lower cost to double up on the same headsets to sell one as a refresh of the CV1 while producing a CV2 later on if price is a value they are also trying to hit instead of 3 distinct verticals. Granted - I still dont see the point in Rift S if that is the case (only because past CV(1) will still be cheaper to produce) XD so bare with me.

Also, what is a good place to watch the event from for Oculus? 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    Oculus has their own YouTube channel and are quite active there; so we should expect to see uploads from GDC:

As for anything "live" from this event, that will probably only happen on Facebook through its Live Streaming service. Oculus live streams from Facebook regularly.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

So I do think you are right..........this time, however having an optional mode for quest allowing it to be hooked up to a pc does not mean there cant still be a 3 tier product line, with

1)the GO being entry level largely for media, then
    2) the Quest being mid range allowing mobile gaming, media  AND tethering to PC, and then having a
    3) high end PC only device with increased FOV, resolution etc etc which has to be attached to a PC.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Zenbane said:

So I do think you are right..........this time, however having an optional mode for quest allowing it to be hooked up to a pc does not mean there cant still be a 3 tier product line, with

2) the Quest being mid range allowing mobile gaming, media  AND tethering to PC, and then having a
    3) high end PC only device with increased FOV, resolution etc etc which has to be attached to a PC.
    All good points there. 1 more hour and we might find out!

Zenbane said:

cool is i 1 more hr? i thought it was another 2 hrs 20 mins or so.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    https://www.facebook.com/OculusDev/

Might be another place they will stream it
    Zenbane said:

cool is i 1 more hr? i thought it was another 2 hrs 20 mins or so.
    8am PT is 15:00 GMT

So Quest and controllers have passed the FCC authorisations:

This is the controller:

https://fccid.io/2AGOZ-XH02/Label/Label-format-and-location-4149656

We already had pictures of it:) but good fine!
    Mradr said:
    We already had pictures of it:) but good fine!
    Yeah of course, but nice to see it ready for release.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Quest and Rift-S release today... My god I hope so.

I got two stacks of money by me side already .. TAKE EM NOW Oculus !!
    Be good, die great !
    Anyone finds a stream please post here :D
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Mradr said:
    Anyone finds a stream please post here :D
    I bet that Uploadvr and roadtovr will be live streaming the event. They tend to do so .. Will post links as soon as I find them :)
    Be good, die great !
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    A new rumor just popped up:
    Beat Saber is all but confirmed for Oculus Quest

Thought it was already :O

Not confirmed. People were hoping and speculating. But today a video was leaked showing it. The new video popped up in the last 12 hours or so.
    Oh I Swear I saw images and video almost a month back XD there was a random video on youtube that pop up with them using it.
    https://uploadvr.com/beat-saber-oculus-quest-launch/

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    I guess you've seen this?

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    https://uploadvr.com/openxr-provisional-release/
    seems to be the most underrated news soo far - but one of the big changes to come for later products and devs to work with.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,721 Volunteer Moderator
    Mradr said:
    seems to be the most underrated news soo far - but one of the big changes to come for later products and devs to work with.
    Yeah, that's pretty cool. Microsoft have released an OpenXR runtime for WMR headsets and Oculus are going to release one for Rift and Quest later this year.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 596
    Neo
    Mradr said:
    You are not joking, this is the kind of unification that the VR platform needs.
    edited March 18
    OmegaM4N said:
    Mradr said:
    You are not joking, this is the kind of unification that the VR platform needs.
    i really hope this means other hmds can finally properly access oculus store and all games on steam will finally run natively on the rift allowing us to fully bin steamVR.

IF this happened the every one of my VR titles will be made on oculus store. As it is now if it offers native support on steam i still often go to steam as i do not want to risk being stuck with a library of titles i cant play IF i leave oculus infrastructure.
    edited March 18
    Also, with the release of a Rift S possible - does this mean that Oculus plans to do faster upgrades instead of waiting for a massive one shot? Instead of releasing an update every 3-4 years - they do one every 2-4 years to help refresh and upgrade the mobile half and at the same time - upgrade the PC version?
    Tick
    - Release new features

Tock
    - Upgrade current features

I would think you want to upgrade mobile more often as the hardware continues to get better and cheaper already releasing on a 2 year cycle and already using two generations behind on Quest and three for GO. I would think this would work for a few generations before we hit a brick wall of any sorts and the advancements seems to be fast enough for it.
    Zenbane said:

The moment Quest is hooked up to a PC it becomes part of 2 product lines at once. But again, Facebook made it clear that they are keeping 3 distinctly different product lines on 3 different platforms. I don't see them muddying the waters this prematurely.
    edited March 18
    Mradr said:
    Oh I Swear I saw images and video almost a month back XD there was a random video on youtube that pop up with them using it.

So yeah... that article was posted today. Yet you said that this was confirmed prior to today.
    edited March 18
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

lol - dude, that article was posted today. You made it seem like this was confirmed before today.
    No, I seen full on video of Quest being used in BS a while back - that is why I am surprise now it was new news. Yea, they just posted some new videos on it:D looks neat. I like to find that clip again - it seem like it was just on some random channel.