cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread

LZoltowski
Champion

Hello folks, ahead of the GDC reveals and Oculus news I thought it would be nice to have one space where we can discuss the news rather than a million threads. What are you hoping for? What are you most excited about?

Keep an eye out on Oculus twitter and the official blog, will try and update here also:

GDC starts this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and we. are. pumped. Game devs and gamers alike will get hands-on with Oculus Quest, we’ll share some brand-new Rift demos, and we may just have an announcement or two up our sleeves...

RIFT S COMING IN SPRING 2019!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oculus-rift-s-our-new-pc-vr-headset-launching-spring-2019/

#QuestCountdown 

Oculus will be announcing exciting news through the week, so stay tuned!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-at-gdc-2019-oculus-quest-rift-demos-and-more/

Update:
https://twitter.com/hbarra/status/1107537148008255488

Update: Monday:
Beat Sabre Announced for Oculus Quest:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/freestyle-beat-saber-joins-the-oculus-quest-launch-lineup/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
79 REPLIES 79

Digikid1
Consultant
First day of spring comes when NATURE decides. Same goes for any other “official” season date. Official dates mean absolutely nothing. 

That said I am on the fence about the Quest. If it’s an Android device then no way will I buy or sell it. More interested in the Rift S though. 

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

First day of spring comes when NATURE decides. Same goes for any other “official” season date. Official dates mean absolutely nothing. 

That said I am on the fence about the Quest. If it’s an Android device then no way will I buy or sell it. More interested in the Rift S though. 

Quest is an Android device, 100% confirmed.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

Quest is an Android device, 100% confirmed.

Darn. It looked so good too. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Does the OS matter?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Most likely the best news will be delivered....at....the end!!!! 😄

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

kzintzi
Trustee

Does the OS matter?

I don't think so; as long as it performs properly and does what it's supposed to then who cares what OS it is..

besides, Proper AR will happen eventually, so having really good quality insideout tracking that's been refined over a couple of years in the android space will be a good thing.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Phones use ARM with RISC Processing (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) which was accidentally discovered way back for the BBC MICRO. It's highly efficient powered and will make Win10 need to change it's architecture to use one. The PC for Gaming will likely soon be phased out too! We know the GPU cards are already approaching their limit for crunching memory for speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfHG7bj-CEI

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The death of the gaming pc has been championed since the PS1 days. One day it will happen just like one day the end of the world really will be neigh...but it is not today and it won't be soon.

GPUs were in a rut years ago with the 8800 series .... Then Fermi launched and it ran hot and performed less well than hoped, but 1 iteration on and it showed how good it was. I think there is a lot of similarities with Fermi and RTX.

CPUs were in a rut then sandybridge came out. They are in a rut now (though AMD are doing well at bringing decent performance at a good price).

Get NV on 7nm and I think things will improve for pc gaming, though AMD being able to trade GPU blows at the sharp end and not just the mid range will help.... whether AMD will be able to with Navi.... I am not so sure, but now they are well and truly back in the game on the cpu front i am hoping they can put some proper development money into the gpu side, and they are already  leagues ahead in the APU market.

It has been some time since i bought a gpu from the red team and I would like to change that.

edit regarding ARM........ Nvidia were experimenting with putting an arm companion cpu on their gpus for some features.  Not sure if that is something they are still looking at or if it was a dead end.
My mates husband is very high up in them maybe i should try to get some gossip? (they are based a stones throw from where i work)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

MAC_MAN86 said:

It's highly efficient powered and will make Win10 need to change it's architecture to use one.
Windows 10 has been available on ARM for a while. The Asus Novago laptop from mid last year was Windows 10 on a snapdragon 835 cpu (same as Quest).  Although a change of architecture would help it to run well (it's not great).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Caldari5
Protege
Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time.