Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

LZoltowski
Champion
I think we are suffering from slow news day fever. A huge lot of us on vr discord are micro analysing a video someone posted where Quest lost tracking in Beat Saber, we are doing frame analysis, reconstructing the position of the body in a 3d programme, basically going stir crazy! hahaha
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like that may be your highlight of the week lol.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think we are suffering from slow news day fever. A huge lot of us on vr discord are micro analysing a video someone posted where Quest lost tracking in Beat Saber, we are doing frame analysis, reconstructing the position of the body in a 3d programme, basically going stir crazy! hahaha

Yep!

Someone on facebook already posted side-by-sides so that people can over-analyze the graphical differences.

uxupnczr9tw3.jpg

LZoltowski
Champion
front page has changed from 
u43gqreo9m41.jpg
to

awhrzlphtw9m.jpg

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yea someone in discord doing the same here with BS XD I think people need to also remember is that Quest is not the same as PC so its going to look a lot different in many cases.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
For those of us waiting to order Quest, we probably won't see the official announcement and Order page until Wednesday when this presentation takes place:

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Historically, neither Facebook nor Oculus has shown to have an interest in altering their business model and roadmap out of fear of consumers looking at other vendors. Which is understandable if you actually "look" at the other vendors, na' mean?

I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it. They did to meet their over all goal in that they want to hit mass market with VR. Rift S really should be a CV2 - not a refresh in the board market of things because CV1 would be the lower end model for PC - not Rift S being lower or higher. More or less - it screams a bit of delay for higher end VR headsets.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it.

We don't know what Rift-S entails at all so we definitely cannot say what seems to be the most popular piece of conjecture "it's just a Quest with a cable."

If you see my quote, I began with the word "Historically." Which means I'm basing my opinion on observing the facts that have transpired in the past. We can't argue historical facts with rumors of the future.

But to your point, Facebook is not altering their plan with Rift's progression based on other Vendors; they are altering their plans based on the fact that they are not meeting their "1-billion customers" goal fast enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
I think they did just a bit though if Rift S is a Quest with a cable connected and the mobile out of it.

We don't know what Rift-S entails at all so we definitely cannot say what seems to be the most popular piece of conjecture "it's just a Quest with a cable."

If you see my quote, I began with the word "Historically." Which means I'm basing my opinion on observing the facts that have transpired in the past. We can't argue historical facts with rumors of the future.

But to your point, Facebook is not altering their plan with Rift's progression based on other Vendors; they are altering their plans based on the fact that they are not meeting their "1-billion customers" goal fast enough.

Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

Also, "Historically" we got rock band over Touch controllers:) (Sorry, I dont think this feeling will ever leave me from those dark days xD)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Don't want to read through all the posts, but is all this about Beat Bloody Saber? When are they likely to talk about Rift S? I think I'm having a grumpy Big Mike, just woke up moment.