Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Don't want to read through all the posts, but is all this about Beat Bloody Saber? When are they likely to talk about Rift S? I think I'm having a grumpy Big Mike just woke up moment. 

Maybe closer to the end - right now I say its all about the software than hardware. So we should see titles first follow by more news and hints - then finally the big news. Quest is the star of this show though so that is what they want to rave up.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

I guess I'm not seeing where your disagreement comes from. We've had the Rift CV1 for 3 years, and everything we know about Quest and the rumored Rift-S comes in direct response to global sales not meeting expectations. So my comment is that Facebook doesn't give in to pressure from other Vendors. So far my point seems spot on; I don't see other vendors coming any closer to selling 1-billion units than Oculus. By all market standards, Oculus is the leader in VR right now with the combined sales of: GearVR, GO, and Rift. Not to mention that Oculus is the leader in "platform exclusives" for VR, as well as hand-controllers with Touch still being the defacto "best" implementation.

I see zero evidence that any other Vendor is causing Facebook and Oculus to change course. You seem to be telling me that I might be wrong, which is fine. But you aint showing me yet.

ShocksVR
Superstar
GDC is a week long event.
Oculus is having an invite only press event today (I think it's going on right now). https://twitter.com/David_Jagneaux/status/1107730542521282561

What's significant of the invite only event, is there is an enforced embargo on the event that is lifted on Wednesday. Thus, many in the community think Wednesday will be the day Oculus makes those public announcements. Point being, GDC has only just begun! There should be more to come.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@ShocksOculus

Nice find! I think you are correct in that Wednesday is the big day for the biggest announcements. Multiple rumors are pointing in that direction.

Enjoy the stress and insomnia, folks!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just wake me up when it's time to order. Thanks.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We shall see, ain't holding my breath.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Which headset are you targeting, Quest or Rift-S? Both??
😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
Correct - I am not saying its a bad choice - I am just point out that I think you might be wrong in this case of your wording that they did. Actually - I hope this might put more pressure on them to release sooner with smaller jumps than big jumps that take years and years. I dont want to see cell phone jumps every year - but considering it usually takes 2 years + 6 months to get to everyone - it might be worth going shorter jumps in this case to draw in more people that are looking for the next stage of improvements (like water/ice chipping away at rock).

I guess I'm not seeing where your disagreement comes from. We've had the Rift CV1 for 3 years, and everything we know about Quest and the rumored Rift-S comes in direct response to global sales not meeting expectations. So my comment is that Facebook doesn't give in to pressure from other Vendors. So far my point seems spot on; I don't see other vendors coming any closer to selling 1-billion units than Oculus. By all market standards, Oculus is the leader in VR right now with the combined sales of: GearVR, GO, and Rift. Not to mention that Oculus is the leader in "platform exclusives" for VR, as well as hand-controllers with Touch still being the defacto "best" implementation.

I see zero evidence that any other Vendor is causing Facebook and Oculus to change course. You seem to be telling me that I might be wrong, which is fine. But you aint showing me yet.

Oh I see - I am not talking about other vendors - I am talking about customer pressure and the market the customer wants to play in - not the pressure of other vendors aka why I didnt say anything about them:) - just the idea what Oculus wanted to hit the one billion unit sell mark. They change their plans to hit with smaller upgrades than bigger ones so this way it scales better to market. Keep price low - and the upgrades just enough to seem like its a good deal over last gen model. I mean that is how basically cell phone work. Its still a phone - but just 20 or 30% faster than last generation. I say this because I dont think we will "see" a "were selling the CV2 next year!" at the next Oculus Connect. Most likely itll be about Quest and Rift S with a demo of CV2 with them talking about the next big changes - but will be more like features in terms of eye tracking. Next GDC 2020 will release a new GO2.0 and then finally OC 2020 news about a release date for CV2. Any sooner or later - I dont see the point in releasing the Rift S. Yet, this would still match customer pressure to upgrade with their hardware while providing a cheaper path.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Which headset are you targeting, Quest or Rift-S? Both??
😮

The wireless PSVR!

j/k. I need to see both Rift products to know if I want both or not.

*edit* on a sidenote, does that image bring back powerglove nightmares for anyone else?

JohSm67
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

For those of us waiting to order Quest, we probably won't see the official announcement and Order page until Wednesday when this presentation takes place:

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest

Will follow, but after uding Vive, Rift, ogo, i want an upgrade and move to a Wireless HMD.
My fear is that the Quest will be just another HMD in need for some upgrading to be good.

Experience from using the TPCast on the original Vive was not that impressive. To much latency and bad SW/HW support (Still PC GPU rendering).
Maybe I should go for VivePro with the original Wireless adapter or wait for the Rift S and wait for an Wireless addon for it.

What should you spend your money on?
JohSm