New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,602 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    JohSm67 said:
    Will follow, but after uding Vive, Rift, ogo, i want an upgrade and move to a Wireless HMD.
    My fear is that the Quest will be just another HMD in need for some upgrading to be good.

Experience from using the TPCast on the original Vive was not that impressive. To much latency and bad SW/HW support (Still PC GPU rendering).
    Maybe I should go for VivePro with the original Wireless adapter or wait for the Rift S and wait for an Wireless addon for it.

What should you spend your money on?

Honestly, I would agree that the current highest end "HMD" experience would be a Vive Pro with a Wireless Adapter. I've tried the Vive Pro and it is notably better. Unfortunately (for me), I don't find it so much better that I would abandon my Touch Controllers. Wands and Track Pads are too much of a step backwards in terms of "VR presence." I'd rather wait.

I plan to purchase Quest and the next Version of Rift (assuming the next Rift does have commendable visual improvements). I don't just care about visuals when it comes to VR, I care about the entire package and the overall experience. If I only cared about visuals then I would have gone Vive Pro or Pimax 5K. But there's so much more involved in a high-end VR experience than just FoV and Resolution.

I spend my money on the overall experience, not isolated caveats.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,775 Valuable Player
    I myself could care less for wireless, but that is just me.
    With my PC gaming I have plenty of wires running in here, one more is no big deal for me.
    But I do mostly sitting games which helps.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    I myself could care less for wireless, but that is just me.
    With my PC gaming I have plenty of wires running in here, one more is no big deal for me.
    But I do mostly sitting games which helps.

For me, wireless is a "nice to have." When things get too frantic (like when Boxing another human in VR), the wire can get in the damn way. Even mounted there's always a bit of issues when moving too aggressively/quickly.

But overall I don't use VR for sports and sweating, so it becomes less of an issue for me. However, I do see the overall need in the Industry, especially now that eSports is becoming VR Centric:
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 464
    Trinity
    edited March 18
    JohSm67 said:
    Experience from using the TPCast on the original Vive was not that impressive. To much latency and bad SW/HW support (Still PC GPU rendering).
    Maybe I should go for VivePro with the original Wireless adapter or wait for the Rift S and wait for an Wireless addon for it.

Just a heads up, but the company that did the tech behind the Vive Wireless addon  (DisplayLink) also made a reference design for the Rift: https://www.roadtovr.com/displaylink-showing-60ghz-wireless-adapter-for-oculus-rift/

It may just be a matter of time  before the same wireless tech comes to Oculus Rift (perhaps they were waiting for Rift-S)

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,095 Valuable Player
    But I want to order today. Waaaaa
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,775 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    But I want to order today. Waaaaa
    Lol may be a while. This is Oculus.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,112 Valuable Player
    I can see all of the news being about the Quest I think. Including the reveal of the release date, the 20th.

That leaves F8 in May for the Rift S.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 585
    Neo
    OmegaM4N said:
    Mradr said:
    https://uploadvr.com/openxr-provisional-release/
    seems to be the most underrated news soo far - but one of the big changes to come for later products and devs to work with.
    You are not joking, this is the kind of unification that the VR platform needs.
    i really hope this means other hmds can finally properly access oculus store and all games on steam will finally run natively on the rift allowing us to fully bin steamVR.

IF this happened the every one of my VR titles will be made on oculus store. As it is now if it offers native support on steam i still often go to steam as i do not want to risk being stuck with a library of titles i cant play IF i leave oculus infrastructure.
    Yeap, i love Rift, Oculus have come a really long way in improving their software over the last 12 months, so i am looking foward that the S will be my next VR upgrade for my presnt Rift, but i am still cautious of their store, so my purchases are carefully researched within a inch of their lives before i buy them, as i don't want anymore game that have hardware DRM, one and its costly DLC is quite sufficient. ;)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,709 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I can see all of the news being about the Quest I think. Including the reveal of the release date, the 20th.

That leaves F8 in May for the Rift S.

I hope the couple of announcements aren't Beat Bloody Saber & Oculus Quest. I'm hoping it will be about Oculus Quest & Rift S. They did say a couple of announcements didn't they?
    I'm not sure what they're going to do tbh. You would have thought that a Rift S release is imminent because it's out of stock just about everywhere but we've got F8 on its way in May.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited March 18
    .the more I think about it, I'm starting to belief the rift s won't be release now but later this year. I hope I'm wrong.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 464
    Trinity
    Insight Tracking demo:

The Legend himself, John Carmack, streaming Beat Saber on expert: https://www.facebook.com/100006735798590/videos/2366083373626166/

Tracking looks solid on the Quest.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    inovator said:

It's Facebook's developer conference. It's where the Oculus Go and Quest were first revealed.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,709 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    inovator said:
    .the more I think about it, I'm starting to belief the rift s won't be release now but later this year. I hope I'm wrong.

So are they going to restock the current Rift if that's the case, or even mention why the stocks are limited? I think the least they could do is explain why stocks are limited just to give people a heads up. Anyways, I'll wait for the show to be over instead of saying this and that because there's still time.
    edited March 18
    The rumor has been reinforced several times at this point. Rift-S has a strong chance of making an appearance. It feels like more than just a rumor now.
    edited March 18
    Richooal said:
    I slept comfortably last night, and awoke to 7 pages  of "nothing new". Thanks for taking the watch guys. :D

• markhollismarkhollis Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    The rumor has been reinforced several times at this point. Rift-S has a strong chance of making an appearance. It feels like more than just a rumor now.
    sure?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    edited March 18
    snowdog said:
    I'm not sure what they're going to do tbh. You would have thought that a Rift S release is imminent because it's out of stock just about everywhere but we've got F8 on its way in May.

But Rift is not out of stock on Oculus.com - there seems to be plenty. When selling on Amazon, BestBuy etc. these dealers take a cut - for me it makes perfect sense, after the reduction to $350, for Oculus to limit such "external" sales. 
    I'd love to be wrong, but Oculus Quest is Oculus' newborn kid in a few weeks/months. Why would Oculus introduce another HMD right now and steal the Quest's thunder? Like:

"Rejoice people of the Earth, a new star is soon born - and we shall name him Quest! And he plays Beat Saber with no strings attached! And rejoice again, because the new star has a dizygotic twin sister - and the sister will shine even more brightly than the star - because the sister is a Super-Nova!" (- and that's gotta be the worst analogy I've ever done - just trying to communicate the idea :blush: )

I'd find it a much better solution not to release two new HMD's at more or less the same time - and thereby risking to confuse ordinary customers (who might already be burdened cognitively just trying to tell Quest apart from Go and Rift). For now this post on Reddit makes sense to me:

"If Rift S isn't announced at this particular convention, "everyone" didn't get it wrong - only those people who couldn't differentiate between internet speculation and official sources/announcements. There has been absolutely no official word of any kind that a new version of the Rift will be announced at this convention, or at all. It is possible a new version will be announced at GDC, at the Oculus con next month, or the big con in July, or for Holiday 2019, or not at all. No one knows, because Oculus hasn't said anything about it."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b2qzct/did_everyone_get_it_wrong_when_can_we_expect_the/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    If there is no announcement of rift S of course everyone who reported it got it wrong it is weasel words to suggest otherwise imo. The fault however is with what ever plebs started the rumour.
    I never expected an announcement at all untill it was reported as it would seem to distract from quest however even IF it is announced I will eat my figurative hat if it launches yet. CV1, Go and quest were both announced well before launch I believe rift s will be the same
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Zenbane said:
    I love how this kinda stuff turns in to Zombie Apocalypse behavior. First everyone bands together, then things don't go as planned, then everyone starts turning on each other.

Pretty cute.
    I think you are over egging it somewhat there zenbane. A bit of frustration at what some perceive as minimal/slow progress from oculus with PCVR is hardly turning on each other like it is the zombie apocalypse.

I am more annoyed at myself for falling for rumours.  Dont get me wrong RiftS may still be announced this week and if it is then cool, but if it does all turn out to be click bait BS then not only did i read that crap, but i perpetuated it on another site i frequent as well.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited March 19
    I think you are over egging it somewhat there zenbane. A bit of frustration at what some perceive as minimal/slow progress from oculus with PCVR is hardly turning on each other like it is the zombie apocalypse.
    I wasn't talking about one person, just the overall sentiment - including the "everyone get it wrong" thread on reddit.

The fact is that today is only Day 1 of a 5-Day event, and if people are already talking about "who is to blame" and "who got it wrong," then yeah... it does remind me of the type of behavior I described.

I am more annoyed at myself for falling for rumours.  Dont get me wrong RiftS may still be announced this week and if it is then cool, but if it does all turn out to be click bait BS then not only did i read that crap, but i perpetuated it on another site i frequent as well.

lmao "perpetuated" ... really? This is entertainment technology being discussed, not the cure for cancer.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,730 Valuable Player
    We'll see tomorrow - if the Rift S isn't announced, due to all the hype and rumurs of course it's a natural reaction to be disappointed - maybe even sad and frustrated. 

Personally I don't care much - I love the CV1. Just studied my arms and hands even more in Shadow Legend, textures are amazing much like in Lone Echo. I think we're far from realizing the full potential of the Rift. In fact and considering the GPU power available today, I don't have many dreams of getting a new HMD - unless some magic happens like foveated rendering. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Zenbane said:

lmao "perpetuated" ... really? This is entertainment technology being discussed, not the cure for cancer.

of course!... it is all relative tho, and click bait BS is click bait BS  (if it turns out to be that.... :) )
    You guys are driving me crazy! I feel like I'm in face your fears.