Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

I'm not sure what they're going to do tbh. You would have thought that a Rift S release is imminent because it's out of stock just about everywhere but we've got F8 on its way in May.

But Rift is not out of stock on Oculus.com - there seems to be plenty. When selling on Amazon, BestBuy etc. these dealers take a cut - for me it makes perfect sense, after the reduction to $350, for Oculus to limit such "external" sales. 
I'd love to be wrong, but Oculus Quest is Oculus' newborn kid in a few weeks/months. Why would Oculus introduce another HMD right now and steal the Quest's thunder? Like:

"Rejoice people of the Earth, a new star is soon born - and we shall name him Quest! And he plays Beat Saber with no strings attached! And rejoice again, because the new star has a dizygotic twin sister - and the sister will shine even more brightly than the star - because the sister is a Super-Nova!" (- and that's gotta be the worst analogy I've ever done - just trying to communicate the idea :blush: )

I'd find it a much better solution not to release two new HMD's at more or less the same time - and thereby risking to confuse ordinary customers (who might already be burdened cognitively just trying to tell Quest apart from Go and Rift). For now this post on Reddit makes sense to me:

"If Rift S isn't announced at this particular convention, "everyone" didn't get it wrong - only those people who couldn't differentiate between internet speculation and official sources/announcements. There has been absolutely no official word of any kind that a new version of the Rift will be announced at this convention, or at all. It is possible a new version will be announced at GDC, at the Oculus con next month, or the big con in July, or for Holiday 2019, or not at all. No one knows, because Oculus hasn't said anything about it."
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b2qzct/did_everyone_get_it_wrong_when_can_we_expect_the/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary
If there is no announcement of rift S of course everyone who reported it got it wrong it is weasel words to suggest otherwise imo. The fault however is with what ever plebs started the rumour.
I never expected an announcement at all untill it was reported as it would seem to distract from quest however even IF it is announced I will eat my figurative hat if it launches yet. CV1, Go and quest were both announced well before launch I believe rift s will be the same
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I love how this kinda stuff turns in to Zombie Apocalypse behavior. First everyone bands together, then things don't go as planned, then everyone starts turning on each other.

Pretty cute.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

I love how this kinda stuff turns in to Zombie Apocalypse behavior. First everyone bands together, then things don't go as planned, then everyone starts turning on each other.

Pretty cute.

I think you are over egging it somewhat there zenbane. A bit of frustration at what some perceive as minimal/slow progress from oculus with PCVR is hardly turning on each other like it is the zombie apocalypse.

I am more annoyed at myself for falling for rumours.  Dont get me wrong RiftS may still be announced this week and if it is then cool, but if it does all turn out to be click bait BS then not only did i read that crap, but i perpetuated it on another site i frequent as well.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'm still waiting for oculus to reveal we got it wrong. It's not rift-s, it's rifts. The runtime is going to support multiple headsets at once.
🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think you are over egging it somewhat there zenbane. A bit of frustration at what some perceive as minimal/slow progress from oculus with PCVR is hardly turning on each other like it is the zombie apocalypse.

I wasn't talking about one person, just the overall sentiment - including the "everyone get it wrong" thread on reddit.

The fact is that today is only Day 1 of a 5-Day event, and if people are already talking about "who is to blame" and "who got it wrong," then yeah... it does remind me of the type of behavior I described.

I am more annoyed at myself for falling for rumours.  Dont get me wrong
RiftS may still be announced this week and if it is then cool, but if it
does all turn out to be click bait BS then not only did i read that
crap, but i perpetuated it on another site i frequent as well.

lmao "perpetuated" ... really? This is entertainment technology being discussed, not the cure for cancer.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
We'll see tomorrow - if the Rift S isn't announced, due to all the hype and rumurs of course it's a natural reaction to be disappointed - maybe even sad and frustrated. 

Personally I don't care much - I love the CV1. Just studied my arms and hands even more in Shadow Legend, textures are amazing much like in Lone Echo. I think we're far from realizing the full potential of the Rift. In fact and considering the GPU power available today, I don't have many dreams of getting a new HMD - unless some magic happens like foveated rendering. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

lmao "perpetuated" ... really? This is entertainment technology being discussed, not the cure for cancer.

of course!... it is all relative tho, and click bait BS is click bait BS  (if it turns out to be that.... 🙂 )

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
As I mentioned earlier, based on the Rumor-Mill, it looks like Wednesday will be the most likely day of the reveal.

One thing to keep in mind is that historically, while Facebook never gives in to pressure to "confirm" anything, in the past they have denied rumors. With so many people talking about this rumor, and so many articles proclaiming the announcement, I do feel that if it wasn't true Facebook would have at least made a single PR Statement letting everyone know that no new Rift announcements will be made at this time.

Similar to what they did when Iribe left and the rumor-mill started,

While Facebook did not deny our report that the “Rift 2”
being developed under Iribe’s PC VR team had been canceled, the company
reiterated to us in a comment that they are continuing to invest in PC.

“While
we can’t comment on our product roadmap specifics, we do have future
plans, and can confirm that we are planning for a future version of
Rift,” a Facebook spokesperson told TechCrunch.

With the rumor of Rift-S at GDC being so strong and widespread, I am compelled to believe that if it wasn't true, we'd already get a damage control statement by Facebook or Oculus.

inovator
Consultant
You guys are driving me crazy! I feel like I'm in face your fears.