Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

You guys are driving me crazy! I feel like I'm in face your fears.

Well Day 2 of GDC will be underway in a few short hours. And since we likely won't get any Rift-S news today, I predict that in exactly 16 hours of this post, the following will have taken place:
  • The thread will be Locked.
  • Half the posters will have ordered the Pimax 5K.
  • Zenbane will be given his 12th forum ban.
  • reddit will delete /r/oculus
  • All Facebook groups will be plagued with End-of-Days memes
Get your coffee pots ready folks, it's gonna be a long day. The wave of tears is en-route and will lubricate us all towards mass hysteria.

inovator
Consultant
LOL

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

inovator said:

You guys are driving me crazy! I feel like I'm in face your fears.

Well Day 2 of GDC will be underway in a few short hours. And since we likely won't get any Rift-S news today, I predict that in exactly 16 hours of this post, the following will have taken place:
  • The thread will be Locked.
  • Half the posters will have ordered the Pimax 5K.
  • Zenbane will be given his 12th forum ban.
  • reddit will delete /r/oculus
  • All Facebook groups will be plagued with End-of-Days memes
Get your coffee pots ready folks, it's gonna be a long day. The wave of tears is en-route and will lubricate us all towards mass hysteria.

I am laughing because it's all true.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I predict the final post on this thread will be from @snowdog who will say: "fuck it I'm buying a Vive". Followed by he's sending someone a turd in a box. Does he have your address @Zenbane?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
Does he have your address @Zenbane?

Yes, but he thinks it's VannaGirl's address. ssshhh

Anonymous
Not applicable
At this point I would guess:

Quest release and orders open at F8.
Rift S ( or whatever they will call it) official reveal/announcement at Oculus Connect.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

At this point I would guess:

Quest release and orders open at F8.
Rift S ( or whatever they will call it) official reveal/announcement at Oculus Connect.

At this point it's anyone's guess, but why not just wait until the shows over and nobody has to guess. 

HiThere_
Superstar
Well I've heard the argument that Oculus VR should not be announcing a new PC headset before the Quest launch is over...

But Oculus VR isn't a smartphone seller trying to sell as much high margin hardware as it can, and nobody profits when a Quest headset ends up early in a closet, so it makes sense for Oculus VR to tell PC users : Hey, in your case don't bother buying the Quest, because we have the CV1 successor right around the corner (meaning "in many months").

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

HiThere_ said:

Well I've heard the argument that Oculus VR should not be announcing a new PC headset before the Quest launch is over...

But Oculus VR isn't a smartphone seller trying to sell as much high margin hardware as it can, and nobody profits when a Quest headset ends up early in a closet, so it makes sense for Oculus VR to tell PC users : Hey, in your case don't bother buying the Quest, because we have the CV1 successor right around the corner (meaning "in many months").

This makes total sense because Oculus Quest and PC VR are two different things. Isn't it a bit like saying we won't release this PC because it might effect this tablet or Laptop sale. PC-VR won't stop people buying an Oculus Quest, why would it?

Edit: You could argue it might pish people off who have PC-VR, if they don't get Rift - S at the same time as Oculus Quest, but it won't make them buy an Oculus Quest them being pished off.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

My thoughts too - big things seem to be announced at Oculus Connect, like the Quest (Connect 5, September 26 2018 - launch probably May 2019) and Go (Connect 4, October 11 2017 - launch May 1 2018) - and Oculus taking 6 months to deliver announced products like Quest isn't exactly any kind of fast.

I think Oculus Connect 2019 would be perfect for a new HMD in 2020 - where Sony also may reveal their new HMD for PS5. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"