cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread

LZoltowski
Champion

Hello folks, ahead of the GDC reveals and Oculus news I thought it would be nice to have one space where we can discuss the news rather than a million threads. What are you hoping for? What are you most excited about?

Keep an eye out on Oculus twitter and the official blog, will try and update here also:

GDC starts this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and we. are. pumped. Game devs and gamers alike will get hands-on with Oculus Quest, we’ll share some brand-new Rift demos, and we may just have an announcement or two up our sleeves...

RIFT S COMING IN SPRING 2019!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oculus-rift-s-our-new-pc-vr-headset-launching-spring-2019/

#QuestCountdown 

Oculus will be announcing exciting news through the week, so stay tuned!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-at-gdc-2019-oculus-quest-rift-demos-and-more/

Update:
https://twitter.com/hbarra/status/1107537148008255488

Update: Monday:
Beat Sabre Announced for Oculus Quest:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/freestyle-beat-saber-joins-the-oculus-quest-launch-lineup/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
79 REPLIES 79

Digikid1
Consultant

Crowaust said:

Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 

Pacific 

proper time is Eastern. 

LZoltowski
Champion
MRTV said the screens on the Quest are of the same quality as the Vive Pro ...

https://youtu.be/5Fn1S-ApmVU
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Deadace
Protege
MRTV mentions a smaller FOV.. I sure hope it's due to the Quest headset at GDC having spacers inserted, for people with glasses to not have problems. I'd hate for it to have smaller FOV than Rift! 😕

bigmike20vt
Visionary
RE FOV 2 thoughts

1) he uses glasses which will significantly reduce it. I use contacts so this will help loads

2) it is powered by a potato. Given the hit increased FOV adds I guess
it is no surprise. IF (when it eventually comes) the new rift has a
smaller FOV I will be moaning along side you but for a mobile device I
think anyone sensible will expect compromises. I would have much rather it had an 845 chip in there even if it cost an extra $50, but then i am not the quests target market.

Quest is a mobile device Primarily aimed at affordable VR for people who dont have
a top spec PC. It is not going to compete with PC VR but it may get a
lot more people using VR, which is ultimately the goal of oculus and is
something that a £800 device with double the grunt and a 20% better FOV
(which personally i would be more interested in) is unlikely to do.
(note i am not saying no one with PCVR would be interested in it, just that that is not the primary customer)

.... the question is how will it compare to other similar headsets such
as the vive focus as that is its battleground. (I have no idea as i know
little about the focus)

Truth is i am more interested in Quest than i thought i would be... but i wont be getting one preorder that is for sure.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
@Deadace @bigmike20vt

I think it's because he was wearing glasses in it, his face was further out from the screens, this happens on all HMD's

The same thing happened to me on my rift, once I got contacts the FOV was noticeable larger.

Be kind to one another 🙂

lensmandave
Superstar

Deadace said:

MRTV mentions a smaller FOV.. I sure hope it's due to the Quest headset at GDC having spacers inserted, for people with glasses to not have problems. I'd hate for it to have smaller FOV than Rift! 😕

Could be due to the fact that he has spent a lot of time in the Pimax. I would imagine once you experience the wider fov other headsets will seem narrow.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

@Deadace @bigmike20vt

I think it's because he was wearing glasses in it, his face was further out from the screens, this happens on all HMD's

The same thing happened to me on my rift, once I got contacts the FOV was noticeable larger.

agreed!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

Crowaust said:

Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 

Pacific 

proper time is Eastern. 

Proper time is GMT. The world base their time around it. Us Brits practically invented time,  B) 😄

Techy111
MVP
MVP
A large variety of devices have been invented to measure time. The study of these devices is called horology. An Egyptian device that dates to c. 1500 BC, similar in shape to a bent T-square, measured the passage of time from the shadow cast by its crossbar on a nonlinear rule.

Almost lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hello!!!!
edit she has clarified that it is just rumour 😞 fingers crossed