Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,813
    Project 2501
    LOL
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,741 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
    You guys are driving me crazy! I feel like I'm in face your fears.
    Well Day 2 of GDC will be underway in a few short hours. And since we likely won't get any Rift-S news today, I predict that in exactly 16 hours of this post, the following will have taken place:
    • The thread will be Locked.
    • Half the posters will have ordered the Pimax 5K.
    • Zenbane will be given his 12th forum ban.
    • reddit will delete /r/oculus
    • All Facebook groups will be plagued with End-of-Days memes
    Get your coffee pots ready folks, it's gonna be a long day. The wave of tears is en-route and will lubricate us all towards mass hysteria.

I am laughing because it's all true.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,045 Valuable Player
    I predict the final post on this thread will be from @snowdog who will say: "fuck it I'm buying a Vive". Followed by he's sending someone a turd in a box. Does he have your address @Zenbane?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,880 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Does he have your address @Zenbane?
    Yes, but he thinks it's VannaGirl's address. ssshhh
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    At this point I would guess:

Quest release and orders open at F8.
    Rift S ( or whatever they will call it) official reveal/announcement at Oculus Connect.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    dburne said:
    At this point I would guess:

Quest release and orders open at F8.
    Rift S ( or whatever they will call it) official reveal/announcement at Oculus Connect.

At this point it's anyone's guess, but why not just wait until the shows over and nobody has to guess. 
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Well I've heard the argument that Oculus VR should not be announcing a new PC headset before the Quest launch is over...

But Oculus VR isn't a smartphone seller trying to sell as much high margin hardware as it can, and nobody profits when a Quest headset ends up early in a closet, so it makes sense for Oculus VR to tell PC users : Hey, in your case don't bother buying the Quest, because we have the CV1 successor right around the corner (meaning "in many months").
    edited March 19
    HiThere_ said:
    Well I've heard the argument that Oculus VR should not be announcing a new PC headset before the Quest launch is over...

But Oculus VR isn't a smartphone seller trying to sell as much high margin hardware as it can, and nobody profits when a Quest headset ends up early in a closet, so it makes sense for Oculus VR to tell PC users : Hey, in your case don't bother buying the Quest, because we have the CV1 successor right around the corner (meaning "in many months").

This makes total sense because Oculus Quest and PC VR are two different things. Isn't it a bit like saying we won't release this PC because it might effect this tablet or Laptop sale. PC-VR won't stop people buying an Oculus Quest, why would it?

Edit: You could argue it might pish people off who have PC-VR, if they don't get Rift - S at the same time as Oculus Quest, but it won't make them buy an Oculus Quest them being pished off.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,328 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    dburne said:

My thoughts too - big things seem to be announced at Oculus Connect, like the Quest (Connect 5, September 26 2018 - launch probably May 2019) and Go (Connect 4, October 11 2017 - launch May 1 2018) - and Oculus taking 6 months to deliver announced products like Quest isn't exactly any kind of fast.

I think Oculus Connect 2019 would be perfect for a new HMD in 2020 - where Sony also may reveal their new HMD for PS5. 2c. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,468 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    HiThere_ said:

This makes total sense because Oculus Quest and PC VR are two different things. Isn't it a bit like saying we won't release this PC because it might effect this tablets or Laptop sale. PC-VR won't stop people buying an Oculus Quest, why would it?
    Also, I don’t think the message to PC users would be “don’t bother buying the Quest,” but more like “here’s a standalone VR device to get even more VR in your life.”

If they open pre-orders for both Quest and Rift S this week, I know I’ll be ordering both. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Project 2501
    Oculus has been hyping the quest for a long time. I think they want the quest to be the star of the show hence the reason it will be played down if it appears and will get the star treatment in the next event.
    edited March 19
    RuneSR2 said:
    I think Oculus Connect 2019 would be perfect for a new HMD in early 2020 - where Sony also may reveal their new HMD for PS5. 2c. 

I'm thinking now would be a perfect time to reaveal Rift - S, giving the PC-VR crowd some news they have being waiting for for sometime. But everyone will have a different opinion. There was a lot of disappointment when PC-VR wasn't mentioned at the last show though.
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    I think Oculus Connect 2019 would be perfect for a new HMD in early 2020 - where Sony also may reveal their new HMD for PS5. 2c. 

I'm thinking now would be a perfect time to reaveal Rift - S, giving the PC-VR crowd some news they have being waiting for for sometime. But everyone will have a different opinion. There was a lot of disappointment when PC-VR wasn't mentioned at the last show though.
    Agreed I myself have been pretty disappointed so far.
    Granted I still love my Rift, use it practically daily and will continue to do so.
    I have been hanging my VR hat on Oculus so far, while many of my other comrades have moved on. 
    Getting a little tired of possible news on PC-VR from Oculus only to be denied , with exception of rumors which don't help.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,591 Valuable Player
    Hopefully we'll hear something about the Rift S tomorrow after that press embargo has ended. The press are reporting stuff about the Quest all over the place so I think that it's unlikely to be Quest related. They took these members of the press behind closed doors to show them SOMETHING so news about the Rift S makes sense, particularly when you take into account that most retailers around the world have the Rift out of stock.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Hopefully we'll hear something about the Rift S tomorrow after that press embargo has ended. The press are reporting stuff about the Quest all over the place so I think that it's unlikely to be Quest related. They took these members of the press behind closed doors to show them SOMETHING so news about the Rift S makes sense, particularly when you take into account that most retailers around the world have the Rift out of stock.

Coming soon in Fall of 2021 lol.
    Don

Project 2501
    I was just listening to a video where someone was trying the quest at the gdc. The user was told the quest had 6 cameras. That explains the good tracking it has.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    Honestly - I feel like Facebook/Oculus should go a head and make a road map and let us know their plans a head of time. I know - I know - this locks them down to a set time and there for doesn't give much break in between in case something happen that was good or bad. On the other hand though - predictability is still good to have when it comes to hard progression and user mind share on what and when to aim for as an upgrade too. Granted, they don't have to go into detail on what to aspect per upgrade - I am just saying - having a time release scheduled could help lower down the "this isn't what I wanted to hear" comments. Even with a delay "hey folks looks like we're going to delay this xx showing for the next event" is still better than a kick in the pants :P
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

agreed, in my mind quest isn't an announcement at this point, we all know it's coming, just need a date. I thought Oculus had mentioned they've got some announcements in store for gdc, and it's doubtful it's all just software related. My money is on it happening at gdc...I just wish it had happened yesterday. :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,721 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Also, I don’t think the message to PC users would be “don’t bother buying the Quest,” but more like “here’s a standalone VR device to get even more VR in your life.”

If they open pre-orders for both Quest and Rift S this week, I know I’ll be ordering both. 
    You’re not alone. They’re very different headsets. Different use cases and very likely to have different types of games. Forward focused, seating centric for PC, free moving cordless fun for Quest.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    nalex66 said:

You’re not alone. They’re very different headsets. Different use cases and very likely to have different types of games. Forward focused, seating centric for PC, free moving cordless fun for Quest.
    For the hardware it self I wouldn't agree - but for the hardware each headset will support I will agree on. Soon or later though - that line will blur pretty fast as that is a self created wall/line. The fact is the mobile hardware is no different than another type of PC connected to your headset with its own limits - if you allow a cable between/pass-through - that line vanishes and you could in theory jump between massively different options depending on the software and work load. Unless the hardware it self is massively different - then that wall/line can be push over pretty easy. All this really depends on the hardware though for this to stay true. By this I mean, for example, if Quest stays 100 FOV while Rift S gets 120 FOV along with a bump in resolution to match for it - then it be enough diferences for the two different work loads to never match up as the mobile half will never be able to run the higher end hardware inside the HMD.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,721 Valuable Player
    edited March 19
    When mobile becomes powerful enough and PC is cord-free there will be some crossovers for sure, but PC will be so dominant power-wise, for a long time to come, I think software devs doing stuff for stand-alone will want to distinguish their games by emphasising the instant fun-for-all-the-family type games.

PCVR devs and uses alike will make use of all the power available for more on-depth, longer play session type stuff.

well just my feeling
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    edited March 19
    Aekero said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I'm thinking now would be a perfect time to reveal Rift - S, giving the PC-VR crowd some news they have being waiting for for sometime, but everyone will have a different opinion. There was a lot of disappointment when PC-VR wasn't mentioned at the last show though.
    agreed, in my mind quest isn't an announcement at this point, we all know it's coming, just need a date. I thought Oculus had mentioned they've got some announcements in store for gdc, and it's doubtful it's all just software related. My money is on it happening at gdc...I just wish it had happened yesterday. :)

I hate to say it, but I think Oculus do class some software releases as an announcement. I remember waiting for one of their announcements once and it turned out that it was about "Guitar Hero" coming to the Rift. I remember calling my computer screen a whole load of things I can't repeat on here that day. 
    RedRizla said:
    Aekero said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I'm thinking now would be a perfect time to reveal Rift - S, giving the PC-VR crowd some news they have being waiting for for sometime, but everyone will have a different opinion. There was a lot of disappointment when PC-VR wasn't mentioned at the last show though.

I hate to say it, but I think Oculus do class some software releases as an announcement. I remember waiting for one of their announcements once and it turned out that it was about "Guitar Hero" coming to the Rift. I remember calling my computer screen a whole load of things I can't repeat on here that day. 

Now it COULD be possible that all of the news is ONLY software but I doubt it myself for three reasons:

1) The Rift S leak a while back which the majority of people (including myself!) thought was nonsense clickbait.

2) The Rifts have gone out of stock almost everywhere.

3) The press were invited to a meeting at GDC yesterday with a press embargo until Wednesday. 

These three things would point to an official announcement of the Rift S tomorrow I think.

The worst case scenario would be the Quest officially launching on the 20th but then that would lead to Oculus having the Quest launch out of the way and the Rift S being revealed at F8.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    edited March 19
    Ya that's the thing.

If Rift-S isn't happening, and Rift's are experiencing a GLOBAL shortage due to Oculus' incompetence or Oculu's lack of wanting to maintain production, then that raises even more serious questions regarding the future of Rift
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Ya that's the thing.

If Rift-S isn't happening, and Rift's are experiencing a GLOBAL shortage due to Oculus' incompetence or Oculu's lack of wanting to maintain production, then that raises even more serious questions regarding the future of Rift
    Yep that certainly would.
    Don

Ya that's the thing.

Oculus and Facebook have confirmed that they're having 3 different headsets going forward with the Rift being the flagship model. I can't see that changing.

snowdog said:

Oculus and Facebook have confirmed that they're having 3 different headsets going forward with the Rift being the flagship model. I can't see that changing.

Very true. But then again... it IS just Tuesday.

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 339
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    Ya that's the thing.

I agree. I don't think Rift is going anywhere. But if the rumors don't pan out, and with the huge supply issues, it would seem like Rift is getting the "unwanted troubled child" treatment in the lineup.

That's why I think Rift-S has to be a thing.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale