Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

ShocksVR
Superstar

snowdog said:

Ya that's the thing.

If Rift-S isn't happening, and Rift's are experiencing a GLOBAL shortage due to Oculus' incompetence or Oculu's lack of wanting to maintain production, then that raises even more serious questions regarding the future of Rift

Oculus and Facebook have confirmed that they're having 3 different headsets going forward with the Rift being the flagship model. I can't see that changing.

I agree. I don't think Rift is going anywhere. But if the rumors don't pan out, and with the huge supply issues, it would seem like Rift is getting the "unwanted troubled child" treatment in the lineup.

That's why I think Rift-S has to be a thing.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

inovator
Consultant
If the rift s isn't announced is life worth living?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

inovator said:se 

Compared to the Odyssey+ it'll probably be widely available in Europe too. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

Might be tempting if it had more then 2 camera's. I bet the tracking sucks with just the 2 camera's, but it might be alright for just racing sims. The screen resolution would also have a big impact on my Geforce 1080 no doubt, so it might be more tempting to those with a Geforce 2080Ti and if racing sims is your thing.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hello!!!!!
edit she has clarified that it is just rumour fingers crossed

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

inovator
Consultant
Refliza Wow thanks  for added info.  if it's only 2 cameras it's no longer tempting. Quest has 6 cameras.

ShocksVR
Superstar

inovator said:

Refliza Wow thanks  for added info.  if it's only 2 cameras it's no longer tempting. Quest has 6 cameras.

Ya, the new HP is a WMR headset afterall
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the bloke that was doing that demo with that MRTV bloke didn't know what he was talking about or just made a slip of the tongue. I thought it was odd when he said it. We haven't had any confirmation from anyone else that there are 6 camera on the Quest now.

Or it could be that the Rift S has 6 cameras, perhaps?

sonicnerd14
Protege
What day and time is the keynote suppose to be?