Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 19
    MRTV said the screens on the Quest are of the same quality as the Vive Pro ...

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    MRTV mentions a smaller FOV.. I sure hope it's due to the Quest headset at GDC having spacers inserted, for people with glasses to not have problems. I'd hate for it to have smaller FOV than Rift! :/
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,901 Valuable Player
    RE FOV 2 thoughts
    1) he uses glasses which will significantly reduce it. I use contacts so this will help loads
    2) it is powered by a potato. Given the hit increased FOV adds I guess it is no surprise. IF (when it eventually comes) the new rift has a smaller FOV I will be moaning along side you but for a mobile device I think anyone sensible will expect compromises. I would have much rather it had an 845 chip in there even if it cost an extra $50, but then i am not the quests target market.

Quest is a mobile device Primarily aimed at affordable VR for people who dont have a top spec PC. It is not going to compete with PC VR but it may get a lot more people using VR, which is ultimately the goal of oculus and is something that a £800 device with double the grunt and a 20% better FOV (which personally i would be more interested in) is unlikely to do.
    (note i am not saying no one with PCVR would be interested in it, just that that is not the primary customer)

.... the question is how will it compare to other similar headsets such as the vive focus as that is its battleground. (I have no idea as i know little about the focus)

Truth is i am more interested in Quest than i thought i would be... but i wont be getting one preorder that is for sure.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    @Deadace @bigmike20vt

I think it's because he was wearing glasses in it, his face was further out from the screens, this happens on all HMD's

The same thing happened to me on my rift, once I got contacts the FOV was noticeable larger.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    Deadace said:
    MRTV mentions a smaller FOV.. I sure hope it's due to the Quest headset at GDC having spacers inserted, for people with glasses to not have problems. I'd hate for it to have smaller FOV than Rift! :/
    Could be due to the fact that he has spent a lot of time in the Pimax. I would imagine once you experience the wider fov other headsets will seem narrow.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
    @Deadace @bigmike20vt

I think it's because he was wearing glasses in it, his face was further out from the screens, this happens on all HMD's

The same thing happened to me on my rift, once I got contacts the FOV was noticeable larger.
    agreed!.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,907 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Crowaust said:
    Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 
    Pacific 

proper time is Eastern. 

Proper time is GMT. The world base their time around it. Us Brits practically invented time,  B) :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,245 Volunteer Moderator
    A large variety of devices have been invented to measure time. The study of these devices is called horology. An Egyptian device that dates to c. 1500 BC, similar in shape to a bent T-square, measured the passage of time from the shadow cast by its crossbar on a nonlinear rule.

Almost lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited March 19
    Hello!!!!
    edit she has clarified that it is just rumour :( fingers crossed

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    A large variety of devices have been invented to measure time. The study of these devices is called horology. An Egyptian device that dates to c. 1500 BC, similar in shape to a bent T-square, measured the passage of time from the shadow cast by its crossbar on a nonlinear rule.

Almost lol
    Time is an Illusion... Lunchtime doubly so.
    [Ford Prefect, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Book 1]
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Hello!!!!
    I say troll. (Gawd, I hope I'm wrong!)

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,352 Volunteer Moderator
    ILMxLAB and Oculus are doing a full reveal of Vader Immortal on April 12.
    It's a Quest launch title,so maybe that's when Quest is released? Definitely not before that.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Crowaust said:
    Wtf is 8am PT? Highly recommend posting times  in UTC so everyone  can make conversations t o their own local times easier, instead of converting twice, once PT to UTC and then UTC to local time. 
    Pacific 

proper time is Eastern. 

Proper time is GMT. The world base their time around it. Us Brits practically invented time,  B) :D

True dat, bruh.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    She sports a nice bag...ye olde foxhound.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Dudes! Nathies live stream...

Wintermute
    edited March 20
    Voila...RIFT S out in Spring 2019 at $400!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=3vPz9KFXWTk
  • OdhineOdhine Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Is this thing a bad joke?
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,572
    Project 2501
    This is very disappointing. I was hoping for a bigger resolution bump and oled. 

The price is lower but it still requires a PC so it won't really attract those people who can't afford the high end. The Quest was supposed to target those people. The Rift S should be for the high end users. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    "Rift S will completely replace Rift (CV1)!!!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Project 2501

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,520 Valuable Player
    Thinking I may well go with the HP Reverb now for what I do.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Project 2501
    I may go with a Vive Pro with the new knuckles and 2.0 base stations if Valve announces Half-LIfe in VR. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    OK so someone has revealed another WMR headset.

When will the Rift S be revealed?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    edited March 20

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • MJGalloMJGallo Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Very disappointed..   this is like a Lenovo WMR that they are trying to brand as an Oculus..

i really hope Oculus is listening..   delay the launch and give us a better system..  better off giving us a Quest with 90hz and an HDMI connection for PC.  
  • DWinner9971DWinner9971 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    Well add me to the disappointed list concerning the Rift S! I kind of expected to be disappointed based on the rumors of it having inside-out tracking and not being the full Rift 2, but...
    A single panel?!
    No physical/real IPD adjustment (due to the single panel)?!
    A very marginal increase in resolution?!
    No sensor/camera capable of tracking behind the head/back for experiences such as Lone Echo and so many others?!
    Replacing the great onboard headphones with in-strap pipe audio?!
    Honestly, there are just too many questionable decisions that were made with this product.

WHY did Oculus work with Lenovo (a company that has only ever released one of the least impressive WMR HMDs) instead of simply releasing the equivalent of their Quest HMD without the onboard SOC?!!! THAT would have HAD to have allowed for a price point below the $400 Quest, right? I mean, the same thing WITHOUT the SOC...?!
    If they were concerned it needed another sensor/camera, then what would have been wrong with keeping it the same as the Quest, without the SOC, and adding an additional camera/sensor for a marginal increase in price?

I've loved my Rift. The first thing I would have wanted to change would be to have higher resolution panels.
    The last thing I would have done/hoped for would be a move to a single panel without the option for proper IPD adjustment ...or the move from OLED to LCD ...or the removal of the headphones.

Oculus, if you believe inside-out tracking is the future, then accept that it must truly match the performance of outside-in before releasing your next HMD. The lack of behind the head/back tracking will not be acceptable moving forward.
    I never expected to say this, but if I was going to purchase a new HMD this year, then it might be the one from ...HP!?!?
    I'm sorry, but the fact that HP's looks more appealing to me than what Oculus just announced actually blows my mind. Granted, the two-camera/sensor tracking would definitely be worse.

Rift 2 needs these things:
    -MUCH higher resolution - matching or hopefully beating the newly-announced panels in the HP Reverb.
    -Eye-tracked foveated rendering to enable decent performance with the MUCH higher resolution panels. (I honestly couldn't care less about people knowing where my eyes are looking, but devs could use it for that too)
    -Either a) Continued use of outside-in tracking OR b) inside-out tracking with no compromises that leave behind the back/head out of bounds.
    -Keeping onboard, high-quality headphones (NOT the inferior in-strap approach).
    -Increased FOV of at least 130 degrees, but preferably larger.
    -Throw in varifocal lenses if you want, but that isn't necessary if you're too hung up on product cost for mass adoption.
    Wintermute
    I half expect the HP REVERB to have a hidden Oculus Logo inside just like they added the Lenovo Logo of the Rift S :D 
    Here's hoping that the actual Rift2 will be the QUEST and just perhaps it may use GOOGLE STADIA or NVIDIA CLOUD by that time. Some want cables but these by now should go away. WiFi can handle this and yes keep the over-ear headphones. A charging dock/holder would be cool and a belt pack and remove the added weight on our heads.
    My hope is that going forward, The Go ultimately gets deprecated and the oculus quest or equivalent becomes the "standalone" device  then the RiftS would be the entry level into PC VR and a rift 2 would be a high end device.

even further in the future i could imagine the quest level of device also having a DP / VRlink adapter so that would also double as the PC entry level VR HMD..... either that or ultimately ALL VR headsets have a PC wireless adapter built in so all can optionally hook up to a PC....

then we just need 2 headsets, a low end and a high end, both offering mobile type VR and both offering PC VR, albeit both having different specs and different levels of compute. but i suspect we are a long way again.

TLDR  I get RiftS, and I do not think that kind of device will be going anywhere from the oculus ecosystem.   it is the high end i am worried about if/when it comes, but i am certain rift 2 wont replace rift S.... or at least it wont if Rift 2 is gonna be to the level I hope it is... So IF oculus are gonna make a high end device it will have to be along side entry level, not replacing it.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    My hope is that going forward, The Go ultimately gets deprecated and the oculus quest or equivalent becomes the "standalone" device  then the RiftS would be the entry level into PC VR and a rift 2 would be a high end device.......

Well observed - thanks for sharing @bigmike20vt
    Agree - what happens to the high-end is interesting with this game-plan you outline. I am a little more realist, and see that the key focus is for a Standalone future for the company, and Rift-S is lip-service. I am sure that by 2021 we will see a Quest/Rift hybrid, and then with 5K streaming the question of PC high-end will once again be placed in doubt (again!)

That Lenovo favoured this WinMR approach, while HTC, HP, LG and Acer seem to be favouring a Qualcomm "standlaone" route makes me wonder if the divergence we are about to see at the HTC Cosmos launch, or the new LG/Valve launch going to totally change the landscape?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959