Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people are speculating Rift-S is a mode for the Oculus quest (Rift Streaming) ... allowing you to use the Quest as a rift with a PC wirelessly. 

What type of streaming? If its just streaming like - youtube streaming - mmm that is boring really. If its like live stream of the game - then they came cross some real life magic right now. 

Richooal
Consultant
"S" stands for suckers!
There ain't no Rift S. They're smart enough to not leave traces of code for people to "find".
Nothing to see here folks, go back to work or school or whatever and enjoy your old Rift, or your new Quest when it arrives.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

rhd2330
Explorer
Oculus wouldn't be teasing us like this if there wasn't some big news coming.

LZoltowski
Champion

Mradr said:

Some people are speculating Rift-S is a mode for the Oculus quest (Rift Streaming) ... allowing you to use the Quest as a rift with a PC wirelessly. 

What type of streaming? If its just streaming like - youtube streaming - mmm that is boring really. If its like live stream of the game - then they came cross some real life magic right now. 

Read my sentence again, but slower 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
deleted.

Richooal
Consultant

rhd2330 said:

Oculus wouldn't be teasing us like this if there wasn't some big news coming.

The teasing is self inflicted, based on a mention of "S" and "cameras" in existing Rift code.
If it exists, and if it is released, it will be so far off that it will need to be changed to "T".
(it might exist, and it might go on sale in November)

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow. Maybe she is unaware that Oculus Quest has another mode if this turned out to be true, but I doubt it.

While it would be a great if all this was true, I also don't want my time limited in PC VR and that would be the case because of battery life. The Quest would need to be tethered in order for it not to use a battery, so my guess is Oculus Quest is not Oculus S.

Richooal
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow.

Check out her Twitter, she said afterwards in another tweet that she didn't know anything about an Oculus "S". She was assuming that she would be able to test it tomorrow. (if it exists)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

RedRizla said:

Well that lady in @bigmike20vt post has tried Oculus Quest and she is trying Rift S tomorrow.

Check out her Twitter, she said afterwards in another tweet that she didn't know anything about an Oculus "S". She was assuming that she would be able to test it tomorrow. (if it exists)

I just read her other tweet, and you just lied. She did not say that she doesn't know anything about it. She said that she does not know anything more about it than any of us. Big difference. If you can do me a quick favor, stop posting. Thanks in advance.

inovator
Consultant
But we don't know anything more about it either. Either way it was said means the same thing. It's just samantics. I think to say he lied was a little harsh. We all know what we were told so other than that we don't know anything.