Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable
Going to be decision time for me coming up.
Rift S or HP Reverb...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I still want clarification if Rift S will work with external sensors, since they do have recommended spec's of multiple USB Ports:
USB Ports
3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port

Techy111
MVP
MVP
https://youtu.be/MT0CSmRMi2A

Posted at 3pm UK time
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ooof. Yea I figure there would be some draw backs to the current CV1 offerings.

It seems like a few steps forward and a few steps backwards for this refresh device. Now here comes the other down side - does the Rift S create more delay for the CV2 release time? 1 Year - 2 Years - 3 Years?

I think I will preorder the Quest and shy away from the Rift S for now. Maybe pick it up - not sure - but Quest seems to be the better buy this time around. I wonder why the Quest couldn't get the 5 Cameras instead 😄 that would've be amazing. Even if that means another 50$ price increase - I think would've been worth it:)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I think I'll wait and see reviews on HP's offering.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

I still want clarification if Rift S will work with external sensors, since they do have recommended spec's of multiple USB Ports:
USB Ports
3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port

I noticed that the official page seems to mix old and new requirements. The UploadVR article says that the cable is now DP instead of HDMI, but the recommended spec still mentions HDMI while the minimum spec calls for DP and a single USB 3.0.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Oculus, I've just visited your official forums expecting to see the announcement of me getting Forum Admin rights there now that the embargo is over, and all I've found is news of a new HMD. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive!!!! 😮 😄

No nose gap and no Rift-like headphones is disappointing tbh and it remains to be seen how good the tracking is. Overall I'm happy though, the new positioning of the cameras and the added camera above, particularly the cameras pointing down slightly at the bottom should help with tracking issues so it could end up being pretty good.

No increase in FOV and a drop in the refresh rate is a LITTLE disappointing but the price is excellent.

Now the question remains - do I buy one when I pay 500 quid off my credit card balance in May (which basically pays for the telly I bought a few weeks ago!) or do I wait until November to get one..? Depends on the extra interest I'm going to be paying I guess, I'll find that out on the 23rd of this month.

If the tracking works well enough I'm definitely getting one, Elite Dangerous will be awesome with it!!!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
What about my guns and stuff I carry on my back - will the Rift-S really be able to register that... I'm born skeptical :blush:  Why no camera on the back of the HMD? ... Looking forward to proper reviews.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It has improved Inside-Out tracking where it captures the "top" but behind-the-back is still a problem. So if we can't use our external sensors with Rift-S then this will be a pass for me. I still plan to get Quest, but I'm 50/50 on Rift-S until more specs come out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wait did I see it said that the resolution is not as good as in the Quest?
Not real excited about the new audio design.