Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Wildt
Consultant
From that video... "Every time I raised my hand above my head, the Quest lost tracking". Not getting that one either methinks.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

From that video... "Every time I raised my hand above my head, the Quest lost tracking". Not getting that one either methinks.

Yeah I figured that already from seeing the Quests specs and camera placement. However, Quest will have platform specific titles where this should be less of an issue; so I don't mind investing in it.

The Rift, however, needs flawless 360 tracking for the hands.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In that video - he talk about the FOV being tighter - that is what happens when you remove the dual screens - it's one of the reasons why dual screens was pick for the CV1... I really feel like the Rift S just isnt ready for prime time... this seems soo much backwards that it isn't even worth getting honestly. 

Quest should've been Rift S with 5 cameras and a single screen
Rift S should've came out with 6 camera and dual screens (don't even care if it was OLED or fast LCD)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

It has improved Inside-Out tracking where it captures the "top" but behind-the-back is still a problem. So if we can't use our external sensors with Rift-S then this will be a pass for me. I still plan to get Quest, but I'm 50/50 on Rift-S until more specs come out.

Same here - no OLED, potential tracking problems and 80 Hz aren't really convincing arguments for the Rift-S. And other people being able to hear the sound isn't to my liking either. Not sure they look more comfortable either - looks more like the PSVR. I don't mind Lenovo, but it feels like some kind of contamination of purity  😄

Actually I love my sensors - they look incredibly cool - took me a long time to set them up perfectly. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah going to be a tough decision for me going forward which new headset to get.

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

Yeah I figured that already from seeing the Quests specs and camera placement. However, Quest will have platform specific titles where this should be less of an issue; so I don't mind investing in it.

The Rift, however, needs flawless 360 tracking for the hands.

I agree - and that's apparently not the case anymore. Unless you still think there's a chance of constellation support. I've lost that hope, and I just hope Oculus won't be dicks and keep supporting the CV1 until there's a truly worthy successor.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

nalex66
MVP
MVP
There's a TESTED video out, as well as a few others... now waiting for lunch time so I can watch them.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Rift S will replace CV1"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
"We're actually in the process of phasing out Rift right now"

Damn, they need to step up their game with this Rift S if that's the case. fml

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

"Rift S will replace CV1"

Maybe, but perhaps for me maybe not.
I seem to not have quite the excitement I thought I might have when the new Rift was revealed.