Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

1101113151636

Comments

  • AekeroAekero Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    after a few years of cv1, it's pretty disappointing that the s just boils down to a resolution increase...I don't care about ergonomics or sensors, I already own the sensors.

    I will say that if I didn't own a rift, the rift s would actually be a great hmd to get into with vr, low cost, solid res, good software, but it just doesn't feel like enough of a step up from the rift. It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
  • DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    The people who buy the Quest will be the new users. I suspect many CV1 users will be loath to update for such little return. Who is this aimed at?
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,961
    Project 2501
    I love the go in the straps audio. It sounds good and not having it on your ears has more comfort for me. U can have plug in your own headphones if you want.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,077 Valuable Player
    Aekero said:
    after a few years of cv1, it's pretty disappointing that the s just boils down to a resolution increase...I don't care about ergonomics or sensors, I already own the sensors.

    I will say that if I didn't own a rift, the rift s would actually be a great hmd to get into with vr, low cost, solid res, good software, but it just doesn't feel like enough of a step up from the rift. It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 

    Agreed - Rift-S would probably be awesome if you don't already own the CV1.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    Aekero said:
    after a few years of cv1, it's pretty disappointing that the s just boils down to a resolution increase...I don't care about ergonomics or sensors, I already own the sensors.

    I will say that if I didn't own a rift, the rift s would actually be a great hmd to get into with vr, low cost, solid res, good software, but it just doesn't feel like enough of a step up from the rift. It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
    Sure, but what if they did - how bad ass would the hardware be then :D
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    Right, Oculus probably wants a good 100,000 million people to own a Rift-S. Compared to what... somewhere between 2-4 million who currently own a Rift CV1?

    Rift-S isn't really targeting existing PCVR owners; it's targeting the global market.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

    At the end of the Tested interview with Nate, I do like his response (and facial expression) when asked about Oculus representing those of us who don't mind spending $1000 on a new Headset. I feel that something big is definitely in the works, but the painful part is that we will clearly have to wait longer.

    And we have to wait for the reason we have known for over a year - as Nate just said:
    "Our goal at the end of the day is really to get as many people in to this ecosystem as possible. And that's really what we are pushing on."

    In the meantime, I will probably start looking more closely at HP’s New Reverb VR Headset. It has great spec's (better than Vive Pro and O+), and looks almost exactly like a Rift. This could be my next HMD while I wait for a proper Rift CV2.

    I'd be tempted to get the HP Reverb headset if it had the same camera arrangement as the Rift-S, but it's only got two front facing cameras so the tracking won't be anywhere near as good. The best thing about the Rift S's camera arrangement is that those two cameras they've put on the side should allow you to play bow and arrow games without too much of a problem, although it remains to be seen how close to your ear you can get the arrow that you're about to fire.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,961
    Project 2501
    Depend on your situation. Just not having the huge pain of set up ( I don't have the luxury to keep it set up) every time makes it tremendous for me.
  • DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    Right, Oculus probably wants a good 100,000 million people to own a Rift-S. Compared to what... somewhere between 2-4 million who currently own a Rift CV1?

    Rift-S isn't really targeting existing PCVR owners; it's targeting the global market.


    Do you think there are that many PC owners who have the hardware to run VR games at an acceptable rate?

    This is a replacement for the Rift.

  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Dooguk said:
    Do you think there are that many PC owners who have the hardware to run VR games at an acceptable rate?

    This is a replacement for the Rift.
    Even if they only get another 25% increase - that is still millions of devices. Right now current VR accounts for less than 1% of the total hardware that could actuality run VR right now base off Steam information. Granted that can be more or less and not 100% correct either, but still even then that still shows a very big window of market that could still get into VR either way if they want to pick up a headset.

    Quest will should cover the rest of the market that doesn't have the required hardware.

    Granted - without a high end though - I feel like it's a much harder sell as people with higher end stuff tend to show case what high end stuff can do making dreams of people that have lower end things wish they had or save up for. Plus, people love choice - without choice - people tend to stagger. Its one of the reasons why you go to a brick and motor shop and see 6 of the same flash drive in different colors even though they already know what color you are most likely going to pick.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    Dooguk said:
    Do you think there are that many PC owners who have the hardware to run VR games at an acceptable rate?

    This is a replacement for the Rift.

    No one denies that the company is replacing Rift CV1 with the Rift-S, because Nate literally said so. But he also made it clear that they are targettng new users:
    "Our goal at the end of the day is really to get as many people in to this ecosystem as possible. And that's really what we are pushing on."

    Rift-S is not targeting existing Rift CV1 owners as their primary audience. New users are the primary target.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I do think they're pushing the quest, that's the priority, and I don't really disagree with that strategy. Cordless, accessible, that's what is going to help bring vr to the masses, it'll never be pcvr.

    I just like being able to have my games and everything else in one place, so I was hoping for more from the s.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    Well - lets hope they still are working on a real CV2 and at OC6 this year they will have a new demo ready to show off with GDC of 2020 being the release date for the real thing. Granted - I don't think that will happen as I am sure they will want to upgrade GO now with cameras... but never lose hope, right?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    Well - lets hope they still are working on a real CV2 and at OC6 this year they will have a new demo ready to show off with GDC of 2020 being the release date for the real thing. Granted - I don't think that will happen as I am sure they will want to upgrade GO now with cameras... but never lose hope, right?

    That would be kinda crazy if they announced a Rift CV2 this year. I can go back and check Nate's interview, but if memory serves, I'm pretty sure he said that the rest of 2019 is dedicated to Rift-S and Quest. We probably won't hear about a Rift CV2 until 2020 at the earliest.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Well - lets hope they still are working on a real CV2 and at OC6 this year they will have a new demo ready to show off with GDC of 2020 being the release date for the real thing. Granted - I don't think that will happen as I am sure they will want to upgrade GO now with cameras... but never lose hope, right?

    That would be kinda crazy if they announced a Rift CV2 this year. I can go back and check Nate's interview, but if memory serves, I'm pretty sure he said that the rest of 2019 is dedicated to Rift-S and Quest. We probably won't hear about a Rift CV2 until 2020 at the earliest.
    Hey anything is possible. Usually they show off some new tech though at OC, so maybe they will show off what they have currently for the next high end headset. I mean we saw half dome last year - so we already know they have some crazy prototypes ready to go if they wish to.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,961
    Project 2501
    I believe that targeting more people to increase the market is the way to go. That will disappoint some, but remember the more people we get in the ecosystem the better games we will get from the Developers. I was disappointed when a video shown on this forum said that the fov seemed less because it was tighter whatever that means.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    inovator said:
    I believe that targeting more people to increase the market is the way to go. That will disappoint some, but remember the more people we get in the ecosystem the better games we will get from the Developers. I was disappointed when a video shown on this forum said that the fov seemed less because it was tighter whatever that means.
    It means there isn't a gap like we have in the dual screen array, Aka you wont have total pixels to each eye like you did before. In a way you could increase the FOV just a bit by making the gap between bigger. Now its one screen - you can't and there for loss out on some FOV.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,595 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, I'm deffo getting the HP HMD now for racing sims, unless they somehow drop the ball completely in some unexpected way. But I'll let the first reviews take care of that risk for me :smile:
    Yeah my line of thought now as well.

    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,412 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Well - lets hope they still are working on a real CV2 and at OC6 this year they will have a new demo ready to show off with GDC of 2020 being the release date for the real thing. Granted - I don't think that will happen as I am sure they will want to upgrade GO now with cameras... but never lose hope, right?

    That would be kinda crazy if they announced a Rift CV2 this year. I can go back and check Nate's interview, but if memory serves, I'm pretty sure he said that the rest of 2019 is dedicated to Rift-S and Quest. We probably won't hear about a Rift CV2 until 2020 at the earliest.
    Hey anything is possible. Usually they show off some new tech though at OC, so maybe they will show off what they have currently for the next high end headset. I mean we saw half dome last year - so we already know they have some crazy prototypes ready to go if they wish to.
    Actually - do you think if they don't show off CV2 at OC this year - they might lose some customers over not having anything to look forward to? I mean I am going to look else where just a bit too now. I wont be picking up a Rift S at any case - so I would be consider a lost in terms of new software sells short of picking up a Quest instead (getting 2x for now). If PCVR drops in software sells - will they just consider it a lost and drop it to focus on Quest and GO or keep trying to feed into it and only aim for low cost devices?
  • DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,990 Valuable Player

    hmmm over all i am dissapointed
    it is not all bad, its cheap, most  accounts say the tracking is great, and who am i to argue having not tried it and will mean usb issues for some will be a thing of the past. having a full RGB display is great and i am convince with the new lenses visuals are going to be a big step up over all.

    but the reduction to 80hz, LED instead of OLED and 1 screen instead of 2 and no IPD adjustment? (1 screen instead of 2 means wasted pixels in all likelyhood and i would bet money in a reduction in FOV even if not advertised, and that my friends will be the killer for me if it is the case.

    over all i think it sounds 2 steps forward, 1 step back. hardly what i was hoping for after over 3 years.
    Am not saying i will never buy one, if my rift fails i may still do but i aint going to be rushing out to get one that is for sure, and if valve can bring something decent to the table with knuckles ii can see me jumping ship.

    I find it hard to believe anyone who thought the vivepro was a misstep can honestly be excited by the rift S if they are being honest with themselves imo.

    that new HP one looks nice but with 2 cameras i do not hold out much hope for full room vr. great for simmers tho.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,990 Valuable Player
    Dooguk said:
    Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.
    oculus have done well by up on that front historically and have matched or even beaten the $ to £ connversion.

    (oh how times have changed. not so long ago 1$ to 1£ would have been a bad thing back when it was almost $1.70 to the 1£
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    kojack said:
    Aekero said:
    It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
    Yeah, that price was rather painful.

    But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

    So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? :)
    (Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)
    I consider the headphones negligible, honestly I think vive went a little crazy and tacked on every little incremental feature they could at an extremely bloated cost. I'm on the fence but if sde and god rays are largely improved I might try to sell the rift and pay the difference...
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,367 Volunteer Moderator
    I use my rift for 95 percent sit down simming so the HP offering is definitely looking tasty right about now but I'm sure the $599 will be £599 so better get saving. Anyone want to create a HP forum  :D
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,990 Valuable Player
    Now i have digested it a bit and had a brew..... i think for me this is almost not a new headset but a streamlined replacent of the rift. its similar price, similar spec - plusses in some places negatives in others..... almost more like a ps4 and a ps4 slim, rather than a ps4 and a ps4pro.
     
    i am interested in the possibility of supporting constellation. sadly i DO have a big head so there is that which is another reason why 1 screen and no ipd adjustment may be an issue - it was RIGHT on the edge with DK2!.

    but 1 positive which i only just considered.....

    up until a week ago i had pretty much given up on a new rift this year and was thinking it could easily be mid - end 2020 before we get a new hmd.
    now. .... CV1 is no more, and riftS over all IS i think most will agree  slightly  better than CV1 for most people... maybe just not for me.

    but now the rift S is out of the way, maybe a rift 2 will STILL come next year.... in which case tbh i am not in much different a situation than i was a week ago, its just that rift S may be an extra if you like. i think it is fair to say riftS is not really aimed at anyone who posts in this thread.

    vivers aint gonna get it, i doubt many rifters will unless it is a warranty swap out for a defective rift or a forced purchase due to out of warranty rift.

    so really not that much has changed for me

    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,077 Valuable Player
    edited March 20

    that new HP one looks nice but with 2 cameras i do not hold out much hope for full room vr. great for simmers tho.

    As I've posted before - according to HP the Reverb should have improved tracking even though it's still using 2 cameras - but we need proper reviews to really find out:


    "The advantage to inside out tracking is it can be easily moved from room to room. It's somewhat less accurate than using separate towers, however, and issues arise when a hand moves out of view of the inside out tracking. (Read our review of a Mixed Reality headset for more details.) HP officials say improved algorithms have addressed such issues to some degree. 

    What's also really helped is improved Bluetooth. The original Mixed Reality headsets counted on Bluetooth support in a gaming PC to handle the connection. HP discovered that subpar Bluetooth implementations were a weak link in the experience. By integrating a Bluetooth radio directly into Reverb's headset, HP can better guarantee a level of connection quality. "

    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3367755/hp-reverb-vr-headset-price-features-hands-on.html

    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,710 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 20
    Nate did nothing to quell my fears in that Tested interview. he said that the Rift S will not cover as broad a range of IPDs as the CV1, and the CV1 only goes up to 70 mm (mine is 72). I really wish they had used the Quest screens (dual screens, 2560x1600 combined resolution) instead of the Go LCD (single 2560x1440). A bigger resolution bump would have appealed to more people as an upgrade over CV1, and they could always scale down the target render resolution as necessary to maintain performance on lower-end PC hardware.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    We won't see the CV2 until 2022. That would see them releasing a new headset every 3 years and by the time 2022 comes along they would have varifocals, eye tracking and foveated rendering sorted out. We'll probably see BOE's curved 4K displays in there too by then I reckon.

    I can't believe that after my Nerd Rage in that thread I created about the inside out tracking I seem to be the only one that's thinking of getting one lol

    It all depends on reports on the quality of tracking tbh, I'll probably wait for reviews before I decide to get one or not. I'm certainly not going near the Reverb though what with it only having two front facing cameras.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
Sign In or Register to comment.